What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A very nice rye ipa from my favourite brewery.
197D45E3-142E-4AC0-9EF8-140BE7F159A0.jpeg

This evening, I drank "cheap rubbish lager" that had been spruced up with hops as a way of testing hops before brewing a NZ IPA this weekend.

Made a hop tea with ~1g of each of the 4 hops
1677617050654.png

Strained the hop tea through a strainer and smooshed the juice out of the hop solids:
1677617104002.png

Topped up with "premium cheap lager" (as a way of using it up after it came free with a takeaway)
1677617164886.png

1677617186980.png

Results:

"Premium cheap lager"
I had a sample from the bottle to try to remember what the base beer tasted like so that I could subtract it from the samples when I tasted them. It tasted ****.

Nelson Sauvin:
This was the least "punchy" of all of the samples, and the least potent on the nose. I got whiffs of marzipan. It was definitely the lightest of the 4, and the most refreshing. I can see why they named it after the wine (even though it doesn't taste of wine) and I can see the corollary with grape flavours. Definitely the driest of all, which would go well in a summer pale ale/lager. My wife went "it reminds me of Curious Brew", which I then googled and is indeed dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin!

Mouteka:
More savoury than the others and moderate on the nose. I got orange flavours out of it, like the bitter pith of an orange, or a blood orange that is more bitter than sweet. I've heard this has lime flavours, which I suppose I could see if I really looked for them. But again, the pithy flavours, rather than the zest or juice.

Citra:
Unsurprisingly, this was the most aromatic of the 4, but not by a lot to be honest. Fresh, and obvious citrus flavours that I would associate more with grapefruit/pomelo than lemon. A bit overpowering with a bitter aftertaste.

Simcoe:
Equal with Moteuka in terms of strength of aroma and flavour. This had citrus notes, but gentler than the others and with a hints of tropical fruits like pineapple and guava (except without the obvious sweetness that you get with the fruit juice).

Then I mixed them, and as expected, a mixture of two hops was tastier than a single one. But not a lot of detail as by this time I had palette fatigue and stopped taking notes. But the mix of NS and Motueka is quite nice (which is fortunate, as that's what is going in my NZ IPA sson)

This evening, I drank "cheap rubbish lager" that had been spruced up with hops as a way of testing hops before brewing a NZ IPA this weekend.

View attachment 82547
Strained the hop tea through a strainer and smooshed the juice out of the hop solids:
View attachment 82548
Topped up with "premium cheap lager" (as a way of using it up after it came free with a takeaway)
View attachment 82549
View attachment 82550

Results:

"Premium cheap lager"
I had a sample from the bottle to try to remember what the base beer tasted like so that I could subtract it from the samples when I tasted them. It tasted ****.

Nelson Sauvin:
This was the least "punchy" of all of the samples, and the least potent on the nose. I got whiffs of marzipan. It was definitely the lightest of the 4, and the most refreshing. I can see why they named it after the wine (even though it doesn't taste of wine) and I can see the corollary with grape flavours. Definitely the driest of all, which would go well in a summer pale ale/lager. My wife went "it reminds me of Curious Brew", which I then googled and is indeed dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin!

Mouteka:
More savoury than the others and moderate on the nose. I got orange flavours out of it, like the bitter pith of an orange, or a blood orange that is more bitter than sweet. I've heard this has lime flavours, which I suppose I could see if I really looked for them. But again, the pithy flavours, rather than the zest or juice.

Citra:
Unsurprisingly, this was the most aromatic of the 4, but not by a lot to be honest. Fresh, and obvious citrus flavours that I would associate more with grapefruit/pomelo than lemon. A bit overpowering with a bitter aftertaste.

Simcoe:
Equal with Moteuka in terms of strength of aroma and flavour. This had citrus notes, but gentler than the others and with a hints of tropical fruits like pineapple and guava (except without the obvious sweetness that you get with the fruit juice).

Then I mixed them, and as expected, a mixture of two hops was tastier than a single one. But not a lot of detail as by this time I had palette fatigue and stopped taking notes. But the mix of NS and Motueka is quite nice (which is fortunate, as that's what is going in my NZ IPA sson)
Awesome, this is a perfect solution rather than a hop pellet in the bottle.

How long did the hops sit in the water and was it boiling?

View attachment 82547
View attachment 82548
View attachment 82549
View attachment 82550

Results:

"Premium cheap lager"

Nelson Sauvin:

Mouteka:

Citra:

Simcoe:

Great test AG! My favourite out of those is simcoe. That reminds me, must do a simcoe smash like I've been planning forever! 😅

Awesome, this is a perfect solution rather than a hop pellet in the bottle.

How long did the hops sit in the water and was it boiling?
Hot water, not quite boiling (out of the coffee machine so probably 90ish).

Sat for maybe 30-45 minutes whilst we had dinner.

I had originally thought about dropping a couple of pellets into the bottle and recapping, but this seemed simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back