What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now onto my hoppy Belgian pale
IMG_20230720_191658.jpg

Not sure I trust the Grainfather app water additions
I've had funny behaviour with the water calculator. It says it's beta. Sometimes it's told me to put waaaaay too much acid in. I take it with a pinch of salt.

I've had funny behaviour with the water calculator. It says it's beta. Sometimes it's told me to put waaaaay too much acid in. I take it with a pinch of salt.
When I did the BIAB brew for about 10 ltrs ish I did:-

Mash
2.4g of gypsum
4.8ml of CRS
Sparge
3.2g of gypsum
Add 6.6ml of CRS

For the 23Ltr brew GF app said:-
Mash
Calcium Chloride 1.700g
Gypsum 3.140g
No Acid
Sparge
Calcium Chloride 1.500g
Gypsum 2.770g
Lactic Acid 6.130ml

Have put all the figures into bruinwater (I have very similar figures to you) it says

Mash
Calcium Chloride 0.5g
Gypsum 0.5g
Lactic Acid 5.1ml
Sparge
Calcium Chloride 0.5g
Gypsum 0.5g
Lactic Acid 7.6ml

Not sure who to trust but given that the GF app version tastes rubbish, might do it again with the bruinwater additions

Why is water chemistry so hard?? It's driving me to drink!!!

Went out for a pub lunch and had a few pints of Proper Job on cask - so much better than the bottled version.

Home again now and I’m trying a guest beer from @YeastFace , a Peach Saison (I think that’s what the PS means on the bottle cap).

The beer is a lovely hazy golden yellow with moderately high carbonation and an almost white head that is foamy in texture and is quite persistent.
074947AE-1D06-45AC-89A9-967532155BA9.jpeg

Served chilled, the aroma is very fresh like cucumber and sherbet with a hint of peach and a note of spice. Very inviting!

The flavour is a little overwhelming at the first sip because you get everything at once. Several sips later I can start to distinguish a range of citrus and tropical fruits. The citrus and tropical fruit storm is followed by a doughy spicy rye bread malt and a softer stone fruit (peach) flavour. The bitterness is soft and smooth and not really noticeable until the finish which is long, dry, and very clean.

This is an excellent, well-made beer in my view, I was looking forward to trying it and I’m very happy I have.

Thanks very much YF, I hope to see you again very soon 😉

Went out for a pub lunch and had a few pints of Proper Job on cask - so much better than the bottled version.

Home again now and I’m trying a guest beer from @YeastFace , a Peach Saison (I think that’s what the PS means on the bottle cap).

You're too kind. Glad you enjoyed it! acheers.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
UK Cascade Summer Ale (pretty miserable outside though).

Poured through a stout spout to try to emulate a cask beer, ok job.

Tastes decent, if a little too inoffensive. Clarity is quite poor but as usual I am drinking it too early.

Photo even worse than normal. Dropped my phone this morning and it's utterly dead so on a really old backup.

20230721_162420.jpg

Landed in St ives, pretty straight forward drive from mid west Wales with a caravan.

First thing to do was a beer. My own pilsner first.

Gone into the onsite pub for food. A decent selection to be fair. Height I would stick with a lager a offshore pilsner, not that nice.

Attachments

• 20230721_155646.jpg
    20230721_155646.jpg
    28.3 KB
  • 20230721_180643.jpg
    20230721_180643.jpg
    38.8 KB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back