What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a 5am Saint each out the kegerator. Jim's brew. It's super clear after standing for a little while but has a chill haze straight out the tap. 😬

Hope everyone has a good weekend. 🙏

20231208_191039.jpg

Can you bottle off Nitro, and do you fancy another swap when I make make my v3 in a month or two?
I have a carbed bottle to send you when I get a minute, but to me it is a very different drink. I think it’s more like an amber stout with the extra roast getting compounded by the carbonic bite. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts when you get it through. I think @Hazelwood Brewery has bottled off nitro before, he might have an answer to the bottling question.

I have a carbed bottle to send you when I get a minute, but to me it is a very different drink. I think it’s more like an amber stout with the extra roast getting compounded by the carbonic bite. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts when you get it through. I think @Hazelwood Brewery has bottled off nitro before, he might have an answer to the bottling question.
Yes I have. You can do it but the end result is a poor imitation of the kegged beer - it seems to lack the body and that velvety texture, and the head was also not as luxurious as when served from keg.

I’ve also tried adding a little priming sugar when bottling the nitro beer and as you might expect it just became more similar to regular carbonated beer.

Thank you 😍

You changed the recipe to suit the different expression on Nitro, didn't you?

Thank you 😍

You changed the recipe to suit the different expression on Nitro, didn't you?
Yes. The 2022 LAB recipe had a decent charge of Weyermann Red and CaraMunich II. It needed to carbonic bite to cut through the sweetness that came with them.
I pulled back on the caramel malts, doubled the roasted but went with low colour chocolate to keep the colour right. It’s a massive improvement on V1.

I still think my best Irish Red was the muppets Swedish chef style user upper brew day from a couple of years back. No water treatment, hopped with citra and fermented with S-04🫣. It was one of the first kegs in the kegerator and it was a gem.

Yes. The 2022 LAB recipe had a decent charge of Weyermann Red and CaraMunich II. It needed to carbonic bite to cut through the sweetness that came with them.
I pulled back on the caramel malts, doubled the roasted but went with low colour chocolate to keep the colour right. It’s a massive improvement on V1.

I still think my best Irish Red was the muppets Swedish chef style user upper brew day from a couple of years back. No water treatment, hopped with citra and fermented with S-04🫣. It was one of the first kegs in the kegerator and it was a gem.

It's very interesting the effect dispense has on perception.

I enjoy bottled O'Hara's Red but the Nitro cans have this weird nuttiness. I believe it's the same recipe.

Bottled Guiness Extra isn't anything like the same as Draught yet it's apparently the same recipe.

I need to sort my nitro setup at some point. Sure I said it last year but will put this year's TMM vouchers towards a Nitro regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back