What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife took an old lady shopping again and as usual bought me a few beers.
IMG_7116.jpeg

I’ve already had the Steam Ales and now on the bottles.
IMG_7119.jpeg

My first ever pimped kit from my first ever keg. Yorkshire bitter.
IMG_20240726_142847_132.jpg

Not hugely impressed, I've been doing all grain only for the last six years so it's entirely possible that my tastes have changed, but it's a tad too bitter and has a very 'kit' taste.

I think it was a 'Ritchies Simply Yorkshire Bitter' kit, I used Kveik Voss yeast instead of the supplied stuff, subbed in a kilo of DME instead of sugar and added half a dozen drops of Nectaron hop oil to the keg before filling.

Never kegged before so the anticipated disasters thankfully didn't occur, but the finished beer is a bit ..meh.

Time for one of my own. This is my cask best bitter.
IMG_7137.jpeg

@Buffers brewery you asked about the flavour….

Clarity is again improved on the last pint I poured but still not crystal clear. Carbonation is soft and the head is a lovely long lasting cask-like foam. The flavour is actually quite complex with malt, hops, esters, and bitterness all beautifully balanced. The malt flavour is maybe white bread crust, hops slightly earthy and spicy with a floral hint and a touch of tea, esters are subtle with just a hint of red apple, bitterness is soft and lingering. The mouthfeel is also soft and with the beer served at ambient temperature it’s so easy drinking it almost just melts away in the mouth.

Back