Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem to keep ignoring all the posts in this thread that have repeated the same message -
If you charge from home using solar EV's are about as green as you can get.

As it says below by 2035 all new cars and vans will have to have zero emissions at the tail pipe we don't know what they will be running on in 12 years but there is one thing for sure petrol cars will be around many years after 2035 so you will still have plenty of choice if an EV is not for you!

As for the price of electricity going up that has nothing to do with EV market we are all paying more for electric and gas but an EV is still cheaper to run than a petrol car even if you don't have off street charging.
This is ignoring the co2 ‘deficit’ from the production and other total life cycle emissions. For EVs with larger batteries it is estimated they have to be driven for in excess of 150k miles before they break even with co2 emissions…and that is assuming your electricity comes from totally renewable sources, which it almost certainly won’t in most cars. Problem is most cars are scrapped long that so a lot of cars will never pay back the co2 cost of production. Unfortunately this sucker doesn’t run on nice clean electricity….

1672826049656.png

Ok the batteries might go onto to be used in other applications for a time to extend their lives but they don’t last forever and have to be ‘decommissioned’ and re-processed at some point which is both a very energy intensive and dirty process. Batteries are not sustainable. They require us to dig huge holes into the earths crust using MAHOOSIVE machinery chasing an ever diminishing resource. By comparison getting oil and gas out of the ground can be done by drilling holes in the earths crust. And neither are solar panels and wind turbines at this point on time.

This is complicated and we have a way to go before we have a truly sustainable solution. Battery EVs are but a stepping stone and being pushed on us for political reasons. I’ve just taken receipt of one not because I wanted one, but because it was the only viable solution for me on my company car list which now only includes BEV’s or hybrids. To be fair it’s a good bit of kit as a car and I really like it, but I’m under no illusions that at I’ve improved my environmental impact whatsoever over getting an ICE car.

But lots of fancy pants technology is heading our way so we’ll get there. Just not within our lifetimes, and I’d bet a significant part of my body to at ICE cars are not dead yet and you’ll still be able to get them beyond 2030, or whatever the latest date is. Might not be running on diesel or petrol but there will be options and will be far more sustainable than BEV.

For EVs with larger batteries it is estimated they have to be driven for in excess of 150k miles before they break even with co2 emissions
I think your information is quite out-of-date.

This data from the ICCT was posted earlier in the thread by @Brew_DD2 and shows that over a typical vehicle life-time, an electric vehicle will have much lower CO2 emissions than a petrol or diesel equivalent:

1672829084800.png

This article is quite informative too:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/26/lif...are-lower-than-gasoline-cars-experts-say.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
The article makes some very valid points about the challenges of EV ownership (purchase price, charging infrastructure, availability) but the headline is somewhat misleading as they try to suggest that 'appetite is waning' because of a reduction in waiting times. The only reliable way to judge that is in the sales figures, which the latest figures show are actually increasing.

Purchase price is probably one of the most significant hurdles for people to get over. I previously worked at a company whose USP was to sell EVs at the same price of an ICE equivalent as it was seen as a massive opportunity to garner significant market share. Unfortunately that project has failed (primarily due to other reasons) but it was immensely challenging to keep the price of the vehicle down (mostly due to the battery cost) whilst still offering a competitive feature set.

I will be honest, i have nothing againts ev's it's a great idea but' in all honesty i just cannot see how it will work ' as a country our housing stock is not geared for off street charging, i could modify my yard to install one but it would cost hundreds and i would lose the open space so it's a no from me

I will be honest, i have nothing againts ev's it's a great idea but' in all honesty i just cannot see how it will work ' as a country our housing stock is not geared for off street charging, i could modify my yard to install one but it would cost hundreds and i would lose the open space so it's a no from me
Agree that the lack of on-street charging is a real blocker. This sort of solution may be an option in the future for people like yourself, although I'd fully expect the installation to be funded by local authorities rather than the end consumer.

https://ubitricity.com/en/

Last edited:
The reality of the ev world Is Britain's appetite for electric cars waning? After Tesla owners' Christmas charging woes and cost-of-living squeeze, EV order waiting times are shrinking fast Fancy having to wait to charge your fifty grand car, and Elon has loads for instant delivery, all because of a brain dead government who cannot do anything right, you can't sell cars with no were to charge them on the hoof so to speak
The photos of queues waiting to charge were taken at the busiest time of the year on the roads and coincided a national rail strike. That wasn't the norm. Besides, for every photo the media published showing queues there were dozens of others posted on EV owners forums pages of people sitting charging at almost deserted charge points.

Agree that the lack of off-street charging is a real blocker. This sort of solution may be an option in the future for people like yourself, although I'd fully expect the installation to be funded by local authorities rather than the end consumer.

https://ubitricity.com/en/

This seems the perfect solution if you don't have off street parking -

Here is another solution, obviously the down side is you are not guaranteed to be able to park outside your home every time you need a charge,
they could make the space outside your home private if you install one which would be a big incentive especially in places where parking is tight.

Are those cables lock on or can they just be unplugged

I would expect them to lock the cable in place until the user comes back and presents their ID card (or whatever they use for authentication) in the same way that you can't unplug the charger where it plugs into the car whilst the vehicle is charging.

Can't see any information on their website to confirm or deny whether that is the case though.

Back