Bridestone Brewery Ongoing New Build "Latest"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vossy1 said:
Nice work up :clap: what size holes did you go for and what flow rate :hmm:

Holes-1.5mm cos that's the smallest drill I had I had. I am also going to make two arms with 1mm holes to see if there is a benifit from 1mm, I think 1.5 should be just fine though with the volumes in that Tun.

Flowrate :wha: :? :wha: no flow meter so ? GP550 with throttle valve just open and balance valve fully open & it spins as in the video attached.

It needs a little tweaking but don't think its bad for the first attempt at one.

UP

I used 1mm and didn't get any spinning :( . . . I either need to up the flow rate, or decrease the diameter and frequency of the downward pointing holes . . . Some grease on the 'bearing' might help as well . . . I've got some food safe stuff

Flowrate no flow meter so ? GP550 with throttle valve just open and balance valve fully open & it spins as in the video attached
Open tun drain, start pump, get steady spinning, shut tun drain, count 1 min, stop pump, water in tun = flow rate.
I'd be really interested if you have another play as I'd like an idea so as to whether I'll be able to balance in and out, without slowing my out down...as I'm impatient :lol:

unclepumble said:
I have done bugger all with the brewery for a while so New Years day New years resolution "Pull my finger out"

Made a spinning sparge arm out of copper etc.. and gave it a little whirl this afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UNCLEPUMBLE ... ntVJ648MPk

UP

Looks Gr8 UP - any chance of the exact bits n bobs you used so i can see if i can source them here please?

SpargeArm.jpg

coming down from the top 15mm copper pipe 15mm -> 10mm Reducer into a 10mm compression elbow. . . Two equal lengths of 10mm tube ending in a 10mm Yorkshire feed stop end. This is one I haven't yet drilled . . . but even spinning by hand it's sticking.

The two arms are tightened normally. the middle one is tightened to make the compression olive bite, hen undone, and the thread would with PTFE tape to make a 'joint while allowing the arms to spin freely on the olive . . . careful sanding, polishing and a bit of lubrication is required here in order to get it to spin freely.

Lube not advised it will leach at 70odd deg better to wind a couple of turns of PTFE round the olive PTFE IS VERY LOW FRICTION. the other thing I did was ensure the olive was tightened near the end of the pipe, IE pipe not fully home when olive nipped up. And about 50 turns of PTFE round the threads.

Thanks for the info both, I need.........want :lol: one of those. Didn't realise it was so simple. ;) :D

Its not rocket science, I actually thought it was a lot more complicated than it actually Is, Time being meticulous and making sure the holes all point back slightly rather than straight down help to get it spinning, the 5-10 holes on the end should be horizontal to get the rotation, You will also need to be very in control of your pump supplying the spinning sparger.

UP

unclepumble said:
Lube not advised it will leach at 70odd deg better to wind a couple of turns of PTFE round the olive PTFE IS VERY LOW FRICTION. the other thing I did was ensure the olive was tightened near the end of the pipe, IE pipe not fully home when olive nipped up. And about 50 turns of PTFE round the threads.

Like This

SpargeArmJoint01.jpg
SpargeArmJoint02.jpg

Really spins a bit easier now thanks Shane :thumb:

Aleman said:
unclepumble said:

Like This

SpargeArmJoint01.jpg
SpargeArmJoint02.jpg

Really spins a bit easier now thanks Shane :thumb:

That's it Tony just the Ticket :thumb:

UP

I tried similar except with 3/8" plastic beer line instead of the two copper arms and little holes in. It doesn't work, I think the copper gives it some momentum, I've not got any spare 10mm copper and not buying 10m of it just to make a spinny thing :D , one day.....
The non-spinning set up will do for a bit longer.

Edit, put a few more holes along the length of the 3/8 beer line with a small 'pricker' and wrapped a bit of PTFE tape round the olive. Spins beautifully at a reasonable sparge rate now. I could adjust by adding more holes. I blocked the ends of the beer line with a couple of blobs of silicon sealant rather than buying stop ends.

I've made a new one with 10mm stainless tube, which is much lighter than copper, adn does not take as much force to get it moving. . . . Looks really promising.

Back