What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yum picked up a case and it looks like @Alastair70 beat me to one. These are fantastic, wonder why cascade never tastes like this when I try?

20230401_125003.jpg

@Alastair70 @samale @Donegal john
The original is a legendary beer and you are almost on a hiding to nothing when trying to clone it. Clones are difficult at the best of times but especially hoppy beers and beers that breweries, like Sierra Nevada, go to extreme lengths to replicate for 4 decades.

If anyone on here has had success replicating SNPA, I would love to hear from ya.

CML, amongst others, have a clone recipe but it is not the same as the recipe on the brewery website. Is this because tweaks have had to be made to compensate for different malts and water? I wonder how close their version is to the original.

Yum picked up a case and it looks like @Alastair70 beat me to one. These are fantastic, wonder why cascade never tastes like this when I try?

View attachment 83823
I read an article about sierra Nevada celebration ale and the lengths they go to to get the perfect crop of cascade from Yakima valley. It's ridiculous! I think the article was on byo.com

Drowning my sorrows this evening after my team QPR suffered yet another defeat I took the opportunity to finally get to sample the Belgian Pale kindly sent to me by @dave_77 by way of a Kazbek bottle swap. This one is dry hopped with Kazbek and Celia. I’d only ever tried Kazbek in lagers and had never, to my knowledge, had Celia. To add to this, I wasn’t sure I’d ever had a Belgian pale ale either! So I googled the style and got this:
“ These beers prioritise balance. Tipping the scales slightly toward the more malty end of the spectrum, Belgian pale ales simultaneously express a firm, if understated, hop finish. Soft, creamy, not too sweet or too dry, easy to drink but also subtly complex”
Well, I can only say this beer hit that brief perfectly. And, having a few moments ago not known anything about this style, I quickly realised it is some thing right up my street. Medium carbonation with a prominent yet subtle hop aroma. Hop flavour comes through great too but not over powering with a terrific spicy touch at the end. I’d be well pleased if I made this. Half way through now and can’t wait to finish typing to enjoy the rest of it. Thanks for this. Love it 🍻

EA803862-4A05-45CA-B455-CEDD5F8C2238.jpeg

Drowning my sorrows this evening after my team QPR suffered yet another defeat I took the opportunity to finally get to sample the Belgian Pale kindly sent to me by @dave_77 by way of a Kazbek bottle swap. This one is dry hopped with Kazbek and Celia. I’d only ever tried Kazbek in lagers and had never, to my knowledge, had Celia. To add to this, I wasn’t sure I’d ever had a Belgian pale ale either! So I googled the style and got this:
“ These beers prioritise balance. Tipping the scales slightly toward the more malty end of the spectrum, Belgian pale ales simultaneously express a firm, if understated, hop finish. Soft, creamy, not too sweet or too dry, easy to drink but also subtly complex”
Well, I can only say this beer hit that brief perfectly. And, having a few moments ago not known anything about this style, I quickly realised it is some thing right up my street. Medium carbonation with a prominent yet subtle hop aroma. Hop flavour comes through great too but not over powering with a terrific spicy touch at the end. I’d be well pleased if I made this. Half way through now and can’t wait to finish typing to enjoy the rest of it. Thanks for this. Love it 🍻

View attachment 83835
Glad you enjoyed it.
Celia hops are a version of Styrian Goldings I believe. This beer is my ongoing question to brew something similar to 'Taras Boulba - De la Senne'.
It's a lot different from the BJCP guidelines for a traditional Belgian Pale which tend to be darker in colour and more malt focused and less bitter.
https://allaboutbeer.com/article/taras-boulba/

@Alastair70 @samale @Donegal john
The original is a legendary beer and you are almost on a hiding to nothing when trying to clone it. Clones are difficult at the best of times but especially hoppy beers and beers that breweries, like Sierra Nevada, go to extreme lengths to replicate for 4 decades.

If anyone on here has had success replicating SNPA, I would love to hear from ya.

CML, amongst others, have a clone recipe but it is not the same as the recipe on the brewery website. Is this because tweaks have had to be made to compensate for different malts and water? I wonder how close their version is to the original.
So, I have brewed a SN clone once, and whilst not as good, I would say, I did manage to get it pretty close, especially on appearance and aroma. I have since propogated the yeast from a SN bottle and used it successfully in two other brews. (Pale ales). As I'm now on the 3rd generation of that yeast, I plan to to rebrew the first recipe with the actual SN yeast - perhaps paying a bit more attention to my Ph and temps etc and with a bit of luck I'll be able to report back with some positive news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back