What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying outside Oxford. Acceptable bottled local bitter. Badly named though as it is more a light amber.

20230819_160848.jpg

First of the day @Agentgonzo saison, 5.4 %, opened with a little hiss and poured with a thin head which dissipated pretty quickly. Well carbonated for the style. Cloudy but nicely golden. Aroma, typical saison, spicy, citrus and almost lemongrass or maybe cardamom. Taste very similar, nice level of bitterness, perhaps more than I'm used to but it's nice. Nicely dry and refreshing, perfect to start the days drinking with. Thanks for sharing.

20230819_172421.jpg

2nd one, @Agentgonzo Wit, this is a lovely beer, nice hiss, thin head which disappears quite quickly. A beautiful golden colour, nicely carbonated. Little aroma to speak of. Taste, I'm struggling to describe, it's really nice, kind of saison light, touch of bitterness and spice and there are other flavours...but I just can't quite place them. 🤣. Medium to dry mouthfeel with a bit of sweetness late on that's not cloying. I really like this one despite my inability to describe it properly. Thanks for sharing.

20230819_181348.jpg

despite my inability to describe it properly
I know exactly what you mean. I have difficulty describing flavours and smells. This is beer is very similar to Hoegaarden (the quintessential witbier imo, but that's because it's what I grew up on). I have no idea how to describe it either apart from "like Hoegaarden" 😂.

When I introduced some friends at uni to Hoegaarden they said it "tasted of baked beans". 🤷‍♂️

nice level of bitterness, perhaps more than I'm used
I had to deviate from my house recipe. I normally use challenger, but I ran low without realising it so had to substitute EKG for the remaining bitterness. The EKG had low AA values, so I had to add a lot more than normal, and I think the other compounds in the hops pushed the perceived bitterness up higher than I wanted.

I know exactly what you mean. I have difficulty describing flavours and smells. This is beer is very similar to Hoegaarden (the quintessential witbier imo, but that's because it's what I grew up on). I have no idea how to describe it either apart from "like Hoegaarden" 😂.

When I introduced some friends at uni to Hoegaarden they said it "tasted of baked beans". 🤷‍♂️

Yes, hoegaardeny!

Another guest beer, after a dubbel watching argyle lose in the last minute....

Thus one's @dave_77 saison, nice hiss on opening, very well carbonated, decent head which last the whole glass. Not much aroma, bit of spice if pushed. Nice and dry, moderate bitterness, well balanced fruit and spice, and very refreshing. Light bodied. Very nice beer, very clean, my one critique would be that I prefer my saison slightly stronger and like that alcohol warmth, but that is just personal preference. Thank you for sharing!

Can you guess the Arnie film....

20230819_221030.jpg

Another guest beer, after a dubbel watching argyle lose in the last minute....

Thus one's @dave_77 saison, nice hiss on opening, very well carbonated, decent head which last the whole glass. Not much aroma, bit of spice if pushed. Nice and dry, moderate bitterness, well balanced fruit and spice, and very refreshing. Light bodied. Very nice beer, very clean, my one critique would be that I prefer my saison slightly stronger and like that alcohol warmth, but that is just personal preference. Thank you for sharing!

Can you guess the Arnie film....

View attachment 88991
👍🏼 glad you enjoyed it. I haven't a clue what that film is 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back