What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been drinking St Austell Mena Dhu stout which is fantastic. I intend to make some as St Austell publishes the ingredients, malts and hops. I have all of them except Smoked Malt, of which I will smoke some pale malt or buy it.View attachment 103596
Looks great I have one in the fridge, looking forward to it.

Another awful day, so far it’s rained all day and is 16.5C here and 25.9C in our garden 😳

First up a pint of Wunderlust

IMG_4179.jpeg

IMG_4180.jpeg

Then a pint of Swordfish

IMG_4181.jpeg

I’ve been drinking St Austell Mena Dhu stout which is fantastic. I intend to make some as St Austell publishes the ingredients, malts and hops. I have all of them except Smoked Malt, of which I will smoke some pale malt or buy it.
1725634772986.png

@Appleton Brews - I posted this in the thread in Aug 2024

First time i have tried this and i will buy again -

Mena Dhu stout is complex and flavoursome, yet deceptively light and refreshing. A subtle oak smoked aroma sets the scene for a delicious flavour profile that entices with a hint of dark chocolate, followed by a delicate touch of liquorice on the finish.
It’s brewed using a blend of six malts – traditional and pale malts for richness and depth, chocolate and smoked malts for a distinctive taste, and malted oats and roasted barley malts to enhance the finish.
Based on an original Cornish recipe, Mena Dhu means ‘black hill’ in Cornish and is named after the farm that was owned by Walter Hicks, the founder of St Austell Brewery.

1725634499883.png
1725634508617.png

Last edited:
View attachment 103612

Rummaging around in the deeper recesses of my shed, I found a couple of two litre glass bottles full of mead (bottled last summer, according to the labels), no idea whatsoever they were there.

The best mead is bonus mead!
I was going to have a glass of port but decided on Mead instead for my desert wine.
IMG_2932.jpeg

IMG_20240906_182616_210.jpg

Meh, whatever, couldn't really place anything here. Not bad, but not great

IMG_20240906_185314_848.jpg

Had it before, nice enough, but way more stouty than I remember.

IMG_20240906_192555_683.jpg

Heyzeus tap dancing crimble, this is lovely.
I'm sure I've had it before but I'm also sure I would have remembered.
You know how some folk will say a certain drink 'caresses the palate'? Well, this caresses and gives the palate a happy ending too!
Genuinely delicious beer.

IMG_20240906_194831_571.jpg

I used to love this stuff, in fact I'd inhale it (sometimes literally, I think I may have some kinda 'condition') but it's got a little 'mainstream'.
I think they've changed the recipe, it's coming off more like Doom Bar with a weird, tacky, mouth feel at the end...I dunno, maybe my tastes aren't as refined as some but it's a bit disappointing.

Latest posts

Back