What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E53ECBD7-AB8D-4F67-BD84-DD4BBB82D3BF.jpeg

My strong bitter. About 20 days in the bottle. First brew for a while to have a head!

@Twostage was kind enough to share a bottle of his Abbot Ale ā€˜cloneā€™, and while Iā€™m lousy at giving tasting notes I will do my best.

It poured fairly smoothly with a big head as you can see which settle down into something a bit more modest (which then proceeded to stick around. Colour was a little darker than I expected but clear without haze.

Taste wise carbonation is fairly gentle a tad higher than a cask Abbot would be with a lot bit of bite from the CO2 but as is the way with any bottled beer. It has a nice almost creaminess to it, hops are clearly their but donā€™t overpower the flavour from the malt, which gives it a nice sweetness, I was drinking this while cooking and I think I enjoyed the second half more than the first as it had started to loose some of the ā€˜fizzā€™ which meant the flavour of the malt came through much better.

How close it is to Abbot is difficult to say for certain (Tesco online was out of Abbot or I would have purchased a bottle for direct comparison) but itā€™s certainly a nice beer which I wouldnā€™t send back if I received in a pub or restaurant. Thank you again to Twostage for sharing.

IMG_2702.jpeg

My family have headed off for the weekend, and I am heading out tomorrow, so dinner this evening was "mix up stuff that's in the fridge that'll go off before we get back". It was yummy. But not as yummy as this beauty from @The-Engineer-That-Brews . I've been saving it for a few weeks because it wasnt' nice enough weather to enjoy it, but now that it's a sunny weekend it was finally time to open it.

1719085509185.png

slightly low on carbonation, so pouring from a height got a decent head for the photo.
Big hit of orange peel on the nose, very nice. Totally refreshing, gently soft wheat flavours but a full body and nice soft mouthfeel combined with the characteristic "beany" flavour of a witbier. Nice dryish finish that was totally in balance. Perfectly refreshing on a summer afternoon in the sun/cooking. A few more bubbles could have made it even nicer though. My biggest complaint is that it didn;t come in a bigger bottle! Definitely better than the once I made!

Latest posts

Back