What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from a family gathering for what should have been my brother's 37th birthday. Wholesome, joyous, and not too sad. I think joy is the best way to remember these things.

Home now and on the Budvar.

1000072875.jpg

Tonight out for last away dinner.

IMG_20240622_194347.jpg

SWMBO'ds tasty rose (syrah and local Maratheftiko).
My freshly zsjuzsjed up orange juice (my turn to drive).
IMG_20240622_200238.jpg

But a glass of local red blend for the mains of rack of lamb and chicken ( we always swap/share).
Back to pack our things for home, but not without finishing off the Muscat of Alexandria dessert wine and baklava,
I 💗 this combination, with or without a black coffee on the side.
IMG_20240622_225718.jpg

we always swap/share
It was many moons ago we went to Northern Spain and it was a revaluation how whole families got together and just shared everything. From that day forward we have done the same, we might order I don’t no 5 starters and the waiter looks round for the other guests or waits for the main meal order.
Unless she tries to pinch my chips obviously 😀

It was many moons ago we went to Northern Spain and it was a revaluation how whole families got together and just shared everything. From that day forward we have done the same, we might order I don’t no 5 starters and the waiter looks round for the other guests or waits for the main meal order.
Unless she tries to pinch my chips obviously 😀
This is how tapas is supposed to work.
When we go out with friends, we order loads of dishes plus a paella to share.

We did this a few weeks back with friends in a Thai restaurant. The waiters were very happy to work like this - we ordered half a dozen dishes and just shared them about between us.

@Twostage was kind enough to share a bottle of his Abbot Ale ‘clone’, and while I’m lousy at giving tasting notes I will do my best.

It poured fairly smoothly with a big head as you can see which settle down into something a bit more modest (which then proceeded to stick around. Colour was a little darker than I expected but clear without haze.

Taste wise carbonation is fairly gentle a tad higher than a cask Abbot would be with a lot bit of bite from the CO2 but as is the way with any bottled beer. It has a nice almost creaminess to it, hops are clearly their but don’t overpower the flavour from the malt, which gives it a nice sweetness, I was drinking this while cooking and I think I enjoyed the second half more than the first as it had started to loose some of the ‘fizz’ which meant the flavour of the malt came through much better.

How close it is to Abbot is difficult to say for certain (Tesco online was out of Abbot or I would have purchased a bottle for direct comparison) but it’s certainly a nice beer which I wouldn’t send back if I received in a pub or restaurant. Thank you again to Twostage for sharing.

View attachment 101034
Keen on a recipe of the Abbot clone?

This is how tapas is supposed to work.
When we go out with friends, we order loads of dishes plus a paella to share.
I know that’s how tapas works now this was back when if you went out it was Prawn Cocktail and Chicken in a basket, for a treat it was a T-Bone. We now do it with all the time, at the pub at the Indian, wherever.

My family have headed off for the weekend, and I am heading out tomorrow, so dinner this evening was "mix up stuff that's in the fridge that'll go off before we get back". It was yummy. But not as yummy as this beauty from @The-Engineer-That-Brews . I've been saving it for a few weeks because it wasnt' nice enough weather to enjoy it, but now that it's a sunny weekend it was finally time to open it.

View attachment 101050

slightly low on carbonation, so pouring from a height got a decent head for the photo.
Big hit of orange peel on the nose, very nice. Totally refreshing, gently soft wheat flavours but a full body and nice soft mouthfeel combined with the characteristic "beany" flavour of a witbier. Nice dryish finish that was totally in balance. Perfectly refreshing on a summer afternoon in the sun/cooking. A few more bubbles could have made it even nicer though. My biggest complaint is that it didn;t come in a bigger bottle! Definitely better than the once I made!
It is nice isn’t it. One for the brew list when I have more shelf space or fridge space (or more shelving or yet another fridge. I’m up to 3 in the brew shed, a fridge freezer and two full height larder fridges).

It is nice isn’t it. One for the brew list when I have more shelf space or fridge space (or more shelving or yet another fridge. I’m up to 3 in the brew shed, a fridge freezer and two full height larder fridges).
I did a wit as well, but mine didn't attenuate fully and was a bit too sweet and lacking body at a result. Sometimes M21 works out well for me, sometimes it doesn't. Which yeast did you use @The-Engineer-That-Brews ?

Ok. I’ll share it from brewfather.

I did a side by side with the bottled original when I made it and I thought mine had more body which I put down to not having to worry about the cost of making it. I should repeat the test now it’s aged a bit.

Crikey, I made it in my pre-brewfather days so here's an export from BrewMate. Just noticed there is a bit of history in the recipe, it refers to Danstar Nottingham not Lalbrew :-

Abbots toe
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.160
Total Hops (g): 60.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 11.5 (EBC): 22.7
Bitterness (IBU): 27.6 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 78
Boil Time (Minutes): 30

Grain Bill
----------------
3.700 kg Maris Otter Malt (88.94%)
0.360 kg Amber Malt (8.65%)
0.100 kg Crystal Extra Dark (2.4%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Challenger Pellet (7.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g First Gold Pellet (7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
20.0 g Fuggles B Leaf (4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Fuggles B Leaf (4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 30 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

Back from a family gathering for what should have been my brother's 37th birthday. Wholesome, joyous, and not too sad. I think joy is the best way to remember these things.

Home now and on the Budvar.

View attachment 101051
I can relate to that feeling. Younger brothers wedding yesterday, My older brother is dead now 7 years. Just a photo at a table to remember him. It still breaks My heart

Latest posts

Back