Keykegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
All things Keykeg.
What are they, how to use them, and can we re-use them?

"Ideal for homebrew" as one ebay seller says or a pain to dispose of as one bar found?
Seems to be like a giant "sub" using a bag in a pressurised cylinder - but can we re-use them? Has anyone tried?
slimline%2020L30L%202015%20LR.jpg

You need the filling and dispensing equipment at £170!
Ouch!

What I was wondering is if they can be cleaned properly before refilling? Or do they change the bag before refilling?
Also wonder if they have any tests on the outer cylinder in case they split or burst from handling damage.

Ouch!

What I was wondering is if they can be cleaned properly before refilling? Or do they change the bag before refilling?
Also wonder if they have any tests on the outer cylinder in case they split or burst from handling damage.
There's lots of info on their website if you care to look. Instructional videos and FAQs. One video explains how to recycle one.

There are third-party videos too, on Youtube.

This thread didn't seem to take off did it.
There are other threads about but ultimately it's this:

DO NOT REUSE A KEY KEG!

For most people, they're designed to be a one-shot job. Keykeg themselves recycle them, however, I believe they remove the internal bag and replace it. The fact that my brewery don't bother sending them back to Keykeg implies that the cost of doing so outweighs the benefits.

We have a number of these. We cut them in half, take the bag out, drill holes in and use the top as a cloche for plants and grow tomatoes in the bottoms!

I buy my Corny kegs from BrewKegTap for £42.

Actually the Keykeg company take them back and say they re-cycle them via their own process. There was a polish (I think) company who made a re-usable key keg-like solution...think you just needed to buy a new bag. I tried to contact them to make some enquiries, but never got a reply.

I like the principle...like they way there is no headspace created as the beer level reduces and the fact you don't need to use CO2 to push the beer out. Thought about trying to rig up something similar with a corny keg and those beer bags you can buy but never sussed out an easy way to connect the bag to either a ball lock post or some other connector in a safe way.

There is a bag in plastic keg option where you replace the single use bags and reuse the outer. Works out at about £7 a time after buying the outer which can be around £30. Plus the dispense S type connector.

Key kegs are a nightmare to fill and dispose of. And defo never reusable. These are a different connector to keg s-types and have to be filled upside down.

I would say for HB a corny is the only way to go. Just watch out as they multiply.

King Kegs are different they are reusable, purchase a new bag and fill, simple. They are being manufactured in the Czech Republic under license.
Actually the Keykeg company take them back and say they re-cycle them via their own process. There was a polish (I think) company who made a re-usable key keg-like solution...think you just needed to buy a new bag. I tried to contact them to make some enquiries, but never got a reply.

I like the principle...like they way there is no headspace created as the beer level reduces and the fact you don't need to use CO2 to push the beer out. Thought about trying to rig up something similar with a corny keg and those beer bags you can buy but never sussed out an easy way to connect the bag to either a ball lock post or some other connector in a safe way.
Not Polish, Czech. Zeg Keg made under license from Keg King. It pours great from the bag, conditioned in the bag and forced out with air.
1720070248745.png

1720070280573.png

1720070358779.png

Consensus here is use corny kegs. They even hold their 2nd hand resell value if you change your mind about this hobby later.
I would argue you can sell them for more than you buy them for!

I see plenty of people selling them at £50 for rough ones, even though you can buy guaranteed used ones for £42 with new seals and O rings.

Latest posts

Back