Leaving wort for period before boiling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markyuk

Reaction score
So I got in a pickle a few weeks ago - my hops and yeast delivery was running very delayed. In the hope it would arrive on the 3rd day of waiting for the delivery I started my mash. Sods law it didn't arrive for another 24 hours, so my wort sat there for at least a day before I could start my boil.

Cue frantic googling to see if I could still use it, as per usual advice was very mixed online, from 'it'll start spoiling after a few hours' to 'meh absolutely fine'.

I smelt/tasted the wort before boiling and it had a definite sour twang. I've never tasted wort before so I boiled and fermented anyway and the result is.... still sour. Drinkable, but sour.

So lesson learnt, unless you like sour lager don't do it.

Cue frantic googling to see if I could still use it, as per usual advice was very mixed online, from 'it'll start spoiling after a few hours' to 'meh absolutely fine'.

I smelt/tasted the wort before boiling and it had a definite sour twang.
At least that filtered out who you should and shouldn't listen to next time.

Backup hops in the freezer and a sachet or two of dry yeast in the fridge, would be the best solution if it happens again.

I always work in two steps over two evenings. 1st mash and run-off, then boil for five minutes. Put lid on immediately after, pull over the lid and the pot a heat resistant plastic bag, held with a rubber band to keep it airtight. The steam from the hot wort will desinfect the bag, and when it cools it will shrink, minimizing or stopping air intake.

The next day is for boiling and hopping.

Done this for at least 20 or 30 brews, never had a problem.

I once left my grains in when overnight mashing and could not get to take them out before the temp dropped to below 50c.
It gave me a cheesy sour mash that was contaminated with Lactobacillus because of the temp drop.
I now tend to mash and remove the grains then take upto pasteurising temps for 10 minutes if I am going to boil the next day, its not much higher than the mashout temp anyway.

I've done a few of these where I would mash and sparge and then cover until the next day. The last time I had a disaster where it started fermenting overnight so I'd probably bring it near a boil for a few minutes the next time I do it.

I've done a few of these where I would mash and sparge and then cover until the next day. The last time I had a disaster where it started fermenting overnight so I'd probably bring it near a boil for a few minutes the next time I do it.
Exactly, mashed wort isn't taken up to a temperature for eliminating bacteria. See how long spent grain in the compost or green bin takes to sour, just a few hours. Boil and leave if you have to but never after mash.

Back