Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've just had a ICE vehicle causing huge damage at Luton airport.
A burning ICE car may reach 815 degrees celsius, an EV up to 2760 degrees celsius.

The temperature at which the thermal runaway is called the Runaway Temperature, T(runaway) - it depends heavily on the cell size, cell materials, and the cell design - may vary from about 130°C to over 200°C in lithium batteries.

Steel is just the element iron that has been processed to control the amount of carbon. Iron, out of the ground, melts at around 1510 degrees C (2750°F). Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500°F)

So as I said previously less likely but bigger impact. It's more that possible an ICE vehicle fire can set of an EV battery and go into thermal runaway. However it's easier to extinguish an ice fire.

I've parked in the Luton Airport Car-matorium and there didn't feel to be much safety margin in it. It didn't feel as robust as other car parks I've used. you could sense a car driving on the floor above you. I felt movement in the structure. Other car parks you wouldn't even notice.

When policitians and profit take precedent over engineering and science what can we expect?

Last edited:
That's an optimistic outlook. From what I have read 8 years will be doing well, plus the charging capability decreases with the age of the battery. The resale value will plummet as the car gets closer to the end of the battery life.

As i said above there are lots of early Nissan Leaf for sale similar to the one below 7 years old 54,000 miles and only two blocks of the battery condition meter gone this car isn't going to sudenly lose its capacity over the next couple of years.

Before those that are not fans of EV's point out the low mileage prediction these cars were fitted with by todays standards a tiny battery you are obviously not going to buy one if you intend to make regular long journeys but if you live in a ULEZ only commute a few miles a day its a cheap alternative to a ICE.

Nissan Leaf

ACENTA 30kwh 5dr

2016 (66 reg)

£6,995

1701516631700.png

Hmm. Having been a bit close to hydrogen, that might be one to watch. Hydrogen is difficult, but filling with and then cracking ammonia is certainly worth watching.
As long as you don't get it on your skin, and are happy with half the range of an ICE equivalent and they can make it greenly.

A digger or a box trailer

Lets face it if you are in the market for a new vehicle and that is the sort of thing you are going to tow an EV is not going to be the top of your list the other 99.99% of people who do use their car to tow will be fine!

Based on?

The fact Leaf has been on sale 13 years, if the batteries suddenly died at 8 years i am sure with over half a million owners in 59 countries we would be well aware by now.

December 2010
Nissan is celebrating 10 years of the all-electric LEAF, the world's first mass-market electric vehicle (EV). The pioneering LEAF hit the roads in December 2010. First sold in Japan, Europe and America, it's now driven in 59 markets. Customers worldwide have bought more than half a million LEAF electric cars.

Lets face it if you are in the market for a new vehicle and that is the sort of thing you are going to tow an EV is not going to be the top of your list the other 99.99% of people who do use their car to tow will be fine!

See that's the mistake.😉 A lot of folks who live out of town need more from a car and its defo not 00.01% of the population.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back