Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a lighter note, I've just had an email from my energy provider, OVO, to say that from 1st November 2023 the tariff for charging my car at home is changing from 10p to 7p KwH. Very nice, thank you.
yep I pay 7.5p per KwH with Octopus. Works out at 1.7p per mile, compared with 14p in my old car (which got 55 mpg)

Latest stats on charger growth in the UK are now out :

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...hicle-charging-device-statistics-october-2023
Up 42% in a year, when we need to be growing at 33% to hit the target of 300k by 2030. 18% are 50kW or more.

1698916926224.png

Toyota have made the best and most popular hybrids for many years I guess they are going to have to get serious about full EV as that's the only way we are headed.

This simply is not the case as i posted earlier -

View attachment 77015

How long do electric car batteries last?​

The hundreds of gently topped-up cells inside an EV battery mean that each battery pack is expected to retain its charging-discharging capacity from 100,000 to 200,000 miles. Manufacturers are so confident of the battery’s road use that most electric cars come with an extended warranty of eight years, or 100,000 miles.

The battery will outlive the car...

“The battery will outlive the car,” says Graeme Cooper confidently. “Today, most EV batteries have a life expectancy of 15 to 20 years within the car – and a second life beyond.”

It’s also worth noting that EV battery technology is still evolving, so as tech develops we expect batteries’ lifespan to increase – as well as becoming cheaper, smaller and even lighter.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/storie...eries have,cheaper, smaller and even lighter.
That's an optimistic outlook. From what I have read 8 years will be doing well, plus the charging capability decreases with the age of the battery. The resale value will plummet as the car gets closer to the end of the battery life. I was listening to a guy on the radio who was driving down the freeway in the dark and pouring rain the battery was draining quickly because of the headlights and wipers, had to get off the freeway and call an Uber to take him home!
Plus for some reason, the insurance companies seem to think they should be as much as 3 times the value to insure an EV as to a petrol or diesel vehicle.

A big part of the insurance problem is that the number of people that can repair them isn’t increasing at the same rate as adoption.

This means the insurers can’t dictate what they’re willing to pay for repairs.

A big part of the insurance problem is that the number of people that can repair them isn’t increasing at the same rate as adoption.

This means the insurers can’t dictate what they’re willing to pay for repairs.
The insurance companies here claim they are a fire risk, despite the data pointing to petrol cars being a greater risk.

The insurance companies here claim they are a fire risk, despite the data pointing to petrol cars being a greater risk.
lower probability vs higher impact. If an EV on fire causes more damage to others property that a petrol/diesal car that would be a reason why. Teslas also have gigacastings so less parts but bigger cost per part when one needs replacing. Also because of the gigacasting it's harder to get pattern parts from elsewhere.

Of course not all EV's are teslas, but all tesla's are EV's and as they are the second biggest EV manufacturer re sales in the world apart from BYD in china tesla repair costs will have an impact on premiums on EV's as a whole.

lower probability vs higher impact. If an EV on fire causes more damage to others property that a petrol/diesal car that would be a reason why. Teslas also have gigacastings so less parts but bigger cost per part when one needs replacing. Also because of the gigacasting it's harder to get pattern parts from elsewhere.

Of course not all EV's are teslas, but all tesla's are EV's and as they are the second biggest EV manufacturer re sales in the world apart from BYD in china tesla repair costs will have an impact on premiums on EV's as a whole.
We've just had a ICE vehicle causing huge damage at Luton airport.

I think "quite a few" is pushing it 😉

One.

Tbh the Kia is close and 2.5t tow, but I need 3t minimum. But £73,000 😱

I will ignore the cars, I forgot to mention we can swim in our potholes when it rains.

£73,000 is more than a land rover, and much much than any Japanese competitors. And maahoooosively less capable.

I have to ignore the cars, I forgot to mention we can swim in our potholes when it rains.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a capable hybrid. I just don't think it's there for a working vehicle that needs to go places.

Latest posts

Back