Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this is more of the same negative Chinese whispers mentioned above but there are plenty of reports of broken chargers, apps not working and vandalism so drivers may not be at fault having said that if I owned one I would probably do the same as the guys in the video and have two charging points near the end of my range just in case.
Yup charging away from home is hit and miss unless you have a Tesla so it makes sense to take precautions. I always have a backup place to stop in addition to the planned one. I can't remember the last time I had to use a motorway service station petrol/disel pump. Thesedays I only put E5 in the car and sometimes I have to choose my backup choice as the E5 has sold out about a quarter of the time.

Problem with statistics is that they need context.
Can these be put in comparison to ICE vehicles? What ages were the cars?
There is obviously more work needed, but the gap between development is so slow due to the manufacturers these issues will keep occuring.
I wonder what the comparable figure was during mass uptake of petrol cars????

Fancy owning a car were you have to plan your fuel stops and then hope they are working when you get there, and on top of that parking up at night wondering if the fuel hose will be still attached in the morning and not in a scrap yard miles away, yes you guessed it i will never own an ev. why would anyone sit in and travel with there kids in what could be a blast furnace at any given moment could you get your family out in the time given

You need to do a little research before suggesting taking your family in an EV is like playing russian roulette with their lives.

This was 2018 long before EV fires became newsworthy.

Every year in the UK, over 100,000 cars which equates to nearly 300 a day go up in flames and around 100 people die as a result

according to newly obtained data by Honeywell Safety and Productivity Solutions which shows that between July 2022 and June 2023, UK fire services recorded 239 fires linked to EVs. This marks an 83% surge from the 130 incidents reported during the same period the previous year.11 Sept 2023

After a quick Google search the above was the first quote. Another report:

A Freedom of Information request submitted by Air Quality News revealed that the London Fire Brigade tackled 54 EV fires in 2019, compared with 1898 fires involving petrol or diesel cars

Personally, I'll keep using the EV.

Fancy owning a car were you have to plan your fuel stops and then hope they are working when you get there, and on top of that parking up at night wondering if the fuel hose will be still attached in the morning and not in a scrap yard miles away, yes you guessed it i will never own an ev. why would anyone sit in and travel with there kids in what could be a blast furnace at any given moment could you get your family out in the time given

I've seen plenty of ICE cars that have caught fire. I've yet to see an Ev catch fire.

In an ice or diesel you have time to get out unless it's a bad crash and you are trapped, an ev is basically a bomb and you have no chance
Life is a series of risks, driving is one of them. I would suggest that you are many times more likely to come a cropper from a collision than your EV battery deciding at random to self combust is spectacular fashion whilst driving along a motorway with your kids on board

And I bet you put your phone next to your ear when making a call? Phone could explode mate

Do you have gas and electric in your house? Loads of people die because of electric faults and gas leaks leading to fires.

And let's not even mention train and aviation travel. Trapped with no escape....

In an ice or diesel you have time to get out unless it's a bad crash and you are trapped, an ev is basically a bomb and you have no chance
How many drivers in the UK have been trapped and killed in their EV because the battery went off like a bomb?

Last edited:
according to newly obtained data by Honeywell Safety and Productivity Solutions which shows that between July 2022 and June 2023, UK fire services recorded 239 fires linked to EVs. This marks an 83% surge from the 130 incidents reported during the same period the previous year.11 Sept 2023

After a quick Google search the above was the first quote. Another report:

A Freedom of Information request submitted by Air Quality News revealed that the London Fire Brigade tackled 54 EV fires in 2019, compared with 1898 fires involving petrol or diesel cars

Personally, I'll keep using the EV.
Thanks for introducing some actual facts into the thread showing EVs are not spontaneously combusting by the thousand every day as some would have us believe.
Do we have any stats showing how many EVs went off like a bomb killing all occupants and those around them ;) :D

From that article "The rapid rise is attributed to the growing presence of EVs on British roads, spanning cars, trucks, e-bikes, and electric scooters."

Another fail, do you actually read these articles before you post?
The rapid rise is attributed to the growing presence of EVs on British roads, spanning cars, trucks, e-bikes, and electric scooters.

I doubt many of us would deny there is always a risk that your new shiny EV could catch fire but the same could be said of your shiny new ICE car.

Nissan Leaf was launched in December 2010 they have sold over a million in that 13 years how often were they in the news because they caught fire?

More stats -

Analysis of fire and crash data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and the National Transportation Safety Board show there were 1529.9 fires per 100,000 sales for gasoline vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100,000 sales for electric vehicles.
The bigger concern is the number of fires linked to gas-electric hybrid vehicles: 3474.5 fires per 100,000 sales.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a43250503/electric-vehicle-fires-increase/

Confirmation bias/lack of critical thinking (deliberate or otherwise).
I was surprised that pure EV's are the least likely to catch fire. You do need to be aware that an EV fire IS more serious in the rarer event of it happening.

As for lithium ion I keep my my ebike battery upstairs in the front bedroom because... they are not keen on the cold , so upstairs is warmer and if it does go POOF! smoke rises upwards so we would be able to head downstairs without inhaling smoke. If you store a big li-ion battery downstairs and it goes awol how can you get out safely when you're in bed at night?

In comparison to ICE vehicles you'd store a spare can of petrol down the shed because colder is safer.

Does anyone else feel the need to paste that in to text2talk with an Alabama hick 'murican' accent and play it back on half speed for the full stooopid effect?

Latest posts

Back