Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still an entertaining clip 😉
By the way I'm all for electric vehicles. I doubt I'll be able to afford one while I'm still driving though.
You can pick up Nissan Leaf with 10 of the 12 battery condition lights still on for a few thousand, OK they don't have a huge range but if you can charge at home and you don't have to commute far a Leaf could be a good buy.

Unfortunately I live in a terraced house and due to parking restrictions can't park outside. For now I'll have to stick with my 16 year old Skoda fabia. Fortunately it is ulez compliant.

The name "Self charging" winds some motoring journalists up and TBH i can see why but they agree its an impressive system and its been around a lot of years so it should be reliable.

For me its the best of both worlds and with real test figures giving 60 - 100 MPG its a must have for my next car, it'll also run in EV mode when in town so i will be doing my little bit for air quality.

Last edited:
Classic misdirection - thanks for debunking it

There seems to be a section of drivers who seem hell bent on "proving" that EV's are a waste of space and this is a prime example why would you knowingly hide the fact that the chargers was powered by solar and spare capacity was stored in the batteries and try to make out it was a diesel generator running 24/7 that provided power. aheadbutt

I am not saying people should welcome EV with open arms some will never want one and will wait until they are forced into one as ICE cars disappear and that is fair enough its the haters posting utter rubbish like this video trying to make out EV ownership is a joke that get under my skin.

Last edited:
This is another picture doing the rounds people say whats the point in having an EV if you need to use a generator to charge it when it runs out of electricity they conveniently forget many car owners have run out of petrol/diesel in the past, as it says below they can give you a small charge to get you to a charger or if there isn't one close they will take you to one so running out of juice is not such a big deal after all, i am sure the majority of EV owners never do run out.

The RAC has some patrols that have a small generator in the back of the van which can recharge the car a little - enough to give you a few miles' range if there are faster chargers in the area. But if you're in the middle of nowhere, they will tow you where you need to go.

1698332937100.png

Last edited:
Well I'm pro EV and I posted that video (because it's funny).
I don't have a hidden agenda !!
But I don't think humor shouldn't be censored 😉

No worries Dave that wasn't a dig at you but i bet you that video will be all over car enthusiast sites and people will think as you did its a diesel powered charging station.

No worries Dave that wasn't a dig at you but i bet you that video will be all over car enthusiast sites and people will think as you did its a diesel powered charging station.
Every time you see a car fire these days people are jump on the bandwagon and say it,s an EV.
I saw one recently where you could still clearly see the number plate and when I checked it was a diesel 😂

Some people's paranoia and complete polarisation seems to have reached epidemic levels over the last couple of years. They want us out of our cars, they don't want us travelling, they want us living in 10 minute cities, lithium is mined by African children, electric cars are fuelled by coal power stations, hydrogen is the way ahead for passenger vehicles. Yawn.

I was amazed by the commentary of the usual EV haters on the airport car park fire.

There's been a fire in a car park
"Oh, it's going to be an EV"

The car is a Range Rover.
"Oh, well I bet it's a hybrid"

It was a diesel
"They must be lying. Look that picture has been photoshopped. That footage has been doctored. The press are being paid by the pro-EV lobby groups"

Why do they even watch the news if they're just going to rewrite it to fit their own narrative? I'm sure if the press said it was an EV, they'd have been all over it as gospel with no suggestion that the press were being paid by the pro-fossil fuel lobby groups.

I think there are many people who just need to keep more of an open mind.

hydrogen is the way ahead for passenger vehicles
This one gets me, there are many multi-billion pound companies with massive R&D departments that are all creating EV's but Barry on the internet knows better than all of them 🤔🤣

Disclaimer: 'Barry on the internet' was a made up person and not a dig at anyone who may be called Barry on this thread!

This one gets me, there are many multi-billion pound companies with massive R&D departments that are all creating EV's but Barry on the internet knows better than all of them 🤔🤣

Disclaimer: 'Barry on the internet' was a made up person and not a dig at anyone who may be called Barry on this thread!

It's because Clarkson used to always bang on about it like he was an authority on the matter.

This is another picture doing the rounds people say whats the point in having an EV if you need to use a generator to charge it when it runs out of electricity they conveniently forget many car owners have run out of petrol/diesel in the past, as it says below they can give you a small charge to get you to a charger or if there isn't one close they will take you to one so running out of juice is not such a big deal after all, i am sure the majority of EV owners never do run out.

View attachment 91197
I've never run out of dino juice in over 35 years of driving but if you did run out of electrons in an EV you couldn't do the walk of shame to the nearest petrol station with an empty can. It's not fair to blame any technology for peoples stupidity, just be aware that stupidity of this sort has a bit more impact if you're in an EV.

Some people's paranoia and complete polarisation seems to have reached epidemic levels over the last couple of years. They want us out of our cars, they don't want us travelling, they want us living in 10 minute cities, lithium is mined by African children, electric cars are fuelled by coal power stations, hydrogen is the way ahead for passenger vehicles. Yawn.

I was amazed by the commentary of the usual EV haters on the airport car park fire.

There's been a fire in a car park
"Oh, it's going to be an EV"

The car is a Range Rover.
"Oh, well I bet it's a hybrid"

It was a diesel
"They must be lying. Look that picture has been photoshopped. That footage has been doctored. The press are being paid by the pro-EV lobby groups"

Why do they even watch the news if they're just going to rewrite it to fit their own narrative? I'm sure if the press said it was an EV, they'd have been all over it as gospel with no suggestion that the press were being paid by the pro-fossil fuel lobby groups.

I think there are many people who just need to keep more of an open mind.
agreed,
agreed,
agreed,
dunno,
dunno,
if you live in AUS possibly
dunno
dunno
possibly, they are most likely out of all drivetrain types to spontaneously combust + add the range rover self immolation factor
disagree

It's not fair to blame any technology for peoples stupidity, just be aware that stupidity of this sort has a bit more impact if you're in an EV.
I don't know if this is more of the same negative Chinese whispers mentioned above but there are plenty of reports of broken chargers, apps not working and vandalism so drivers may not be at fault having said that if I owned one I would probably do the same as the guys in the video and have two charging points near the end of my range just in case.

Fancy owning a car were you have to plan your fuel stops and then hope they are working when you get there, and on top of that parking up at night wondering if the fuel hose will be still attached in the morning and not in a scrap yard miles away, yes you guessed it i will never own an ev. why would anyone sit in and travel with there kids in what could be a blast furnace at any given moment could you get your family out in the time given

Latest posts

Back