Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you know you will travel 300+ miles a day and dont have a 7kW charger at home an EV probably isn't best choice at the moment.
Slightly incorrect; If you know you will travel 300+ miles on 2 CONSECUTIVE DAYS, and don't have a 7kW charger, and won't have ANY other method of charging over those 2 days. Then an Ev probably isn't the best choice for you.

I don't think there is a massive price difference between a 7kW(closer to 8kW usually if you get your full 240v or higher) charger and a 3.5kW charger.

The electric highway Jeez they will be bringing trolly buses back next, will it go the same way as HS2
Probably roll out the whole country with electric highway (a terrible idea) for less than half of HS2, which is already less than half the size of the first promised HS2.

Think I need to find the HS2 thread and have a rant. 😁

With the average car only driving 18 miles a day the majority are not going to need charging every day...
You are correct Chippy, but the exception approaches later this month when a lot of people go to visit relatives.
Expect TV charge point rage stories & sobs about not being able to get home for Xmas.
I'll call it the "chargeapocolypse"(TM) so we can see if any press people read the site & steal the name 😃😅🔋

But they are a good option if you have a short distance daily commute, but you need a driveway to park them on while charging.
2nd hand prices are relatively affordable (eg leaves that keep getting posted), but there are minimal repair facilities for older EVs as equipment costs are way too high for (almost all) independent mechanics. It's not just a dead battery that will brick an old EV.

You are correct Chippy, but the exception approaches later this month when a lot of people go to visit relatives.
Expect TV charge point rage stories & sobs about not being able to get home for Xmas.
I'll call it the "chargeapocolypse"(TM) so we can see if any press people read the site & steal the name 😃😅🔋

But they are a good option if you have a short distance daily commute, but you need a driveway to park them on while charging.
2nd hand prices are relatively affordable (eg leaves that keep getting posted), but there are minimal repair facilities for older EVs as equipment costs are way too high for (almost all) independent mechanics. It's not just a dead battery that will brick an old EV.
sorry we can't visit the inlaws this xmas I won't be able to charge the car up love, - that could improve EV sales wink...

I don't think there is a massive price difference between a 7kW(closer to 8kW usually if you get your full 240v or higher) charger and a 3.5kW charger.
If charging at home it makes no odds which charger you have as long as you have 7 hours between times you plan to be driving it to its maximum range, the 7 kwh option simply means you can get more charge in at a shorter time which for some may be an advantage but its not necessary, the bottom line is people will decide if an EV is for them or not based on the regular mileage they do i would have one tomorrow as i could easily live with range but i do not have off street parking so its a hybrid for me.

Earlier on you made out that you needed to be able to tow 3 tons, now it is many of your neighbours 🤦 if you don't want one then it is fair enough, you don't need to make excuses up. Which ties in nicely with my point about people going out of thier way to try and convince everyone that EVs can't work because of a niche problem that they have come up with 😁

It's not a Carshare 🤣😂 and not an excuse. I don't want one when they don't work, practically and financially.

I think we do more than most to reduce our carbon foot print but electric vehicles I have tried and failed.

I will agree it is not a mainstream problem, but look around in the countryside there are more 4x4 that are needed not just wanted.

If charging at home it makes no odds which charger you have as long as you have 7 hours between times you plan to be driving it to its maximum range, the 7 kwh option simply means you can get more charge in at a shorter time which for some may be an advantage but its not necessary, the bottom line is people will decide if an EV is for them or not based on the regular mileage they do i would have one tomorrow as i could easily live with range but i do not have off street parking so its a hybrid for me.

Absolutely. Range is not an issue really 🤔 neither is charging. If fact given our generation it makes sense.

The electric highway Jeez they will be bringing trolly buses back next, will it go the same way as HS2. EV= rarer than a panda in a uk zoo athumb..:laugh8::laugh8:acheers.
You didn't watch the video did you yet another fail in the thread, this is for HGV on the motorways where wagons are going from ports to distribution warehouses and may only need battery power for the last few miles of the journey away from the motorway its not designed for small trucks doing multi drop, its already working and as HGV's produce the most pollution doing their 5 mpg i dont see a negative.

EV= rarer than a panda in a uk zoo
Again i ask your solution to the problem, you have been very vocal and anti EV in this thread but so far you have not enlightened us with your thoughts on what we use if electric is not the answer.

Absolutely. Range is not an issue really 🤔 neither is charging. If fact given our generation it makes sense.
Charging is an issue if like myself you fall into the 30% of all UK houses have no off street parking, on street charging will become commonplace but i imagine it will be a while before we see it in small towns like ours.

Again i ask your solution to the problem, you have been very vocal and anti EV in this thread but so far you have not enlightened us with you
I don't have a solution, so on a more serious note i just feel ev's are a stop gap while they decide which is the best way to go it's a bit the diesel thing buy a diesel they said less polluting than a petrol yeah right, as to what we use if electric is not the answer your government will let you know when they find it

Again i ask your solution to the problem, you have been very vocal and anti EV in this thread but so far you have not enlightened us with your thoughts on what we use if electric is not the answer.
The solution I reckon is human power only. how dare us plebs want to travel further than locally? Hmm we need to be priced out of car ownership.

Fortunately I've driven up to Scotland and over to switzerland. Getting the touring hols in before they get outlawed.

I think Devo have the Solution or is Devo the problem....? 🤔

i just feel ev's are a stop gap while they decide which is the best way to go

And herein is the problem "you feel" they are a stop gap so you slate them at every opportunity even though you know the only other alternative at the moment is hydrogen and that is a non starter for all the reasons we have discussed several times in this thread.

I notice you didn't reply to my earlier explanation of how the E highways could work for some of the HGV's currently burning diesel at 5 mpg after i answered you ridiculous trolley bus post.

You didn't watch the video did you yet another fail in the thread, this is for HGV on the motorways where wagons are going from ports to distribution warehouses and may only need battery power for the last few miles of the journey away from the motorway its not designed for small trucks doing multi drop, its already working and as HGV's produce the most pollution doing their 5 mpg i dont see a negative.

Last edited:
Chippy i am having a laugh sometimes i just can't help myself i just had a pic in my head of trolly buses i was also going to put in retaliation Mr Musk had recalled all his tesla's and placed sanctions on China, right i will behave for the rest of today enjoy your beer and have a good evening athumb..:beer1:

Charging is an issue if like myself you fall into the 30% of all UK houses have no off street parking, on street charging will become commonplace but i imagine it will be a while before we see it in small towns like ours.

Scalextric solved this years ago

Reactions: jof

Latest posts

Back