Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be interesting to see if the trend is continuing like that now. Electricity costs three times as much now as it did in 2021.
I forgot to add a link to my earlier post, here is more of the article -

By the end of 2022, it's projected that electric cars will outsell diesel and mild hybrid diesel. Petrol is set to remain the most popular fuel choice for used car buyers for the next few years.

The electric vehicle (EV) market is booming, according to the latest vehicle stats. Electric car sales increased by 186% in 2020 and EVs enjoyed another record year in 2021 with more than one in ten new vehicles being electric.

Overall, 1.65 million new cars were registered in 2021 - a figure that's just 1% up on 2020 due to the impact of the pandemic and the global semiconductor chip shortage. Despite this, more battery electric vehicles (BEV) were sold in 2021 than the previous five years combined (2016-2020), with 190,727 registrations (11.6% of all new car sales), while plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) made up 7% or 114,554 cars.

Demand for used electric cars is growing, too. In 2021, annual demand for used EVs hit a new record, increasing by 119.2% with 40,228 second-hand electric cars being sold.

Today there are an estimated 477,000 electric cars on the road in the UK and more than 790,000 plug-in hybrids (PHEVs).

As of 2022, 137,498 new electric cars have been sold in the UK. This means new electric vehicles have a 14% share of the UK's new car market (updated September 2022).

In August 2022, 10,006 new EVs were registered in the UK - a figure that's 35.4% higher than the 7,338 new electric cars that were registered over the same month in 2021. This follows the 9.9% increase in new EV sales of July 2022 when 12,243 new electric cars were sold in the UK.

EVs enjoyed a growth streak in June 2022, with 22,737 registrations - a 14.6% year-on-year increase. May 2022 saw new EV registrations rise by 17.7%, representing one in eight new cars joining the road. Plug-in hybrids declined 25.5%, while hybrids were up 12.0%, meaning deliveries of electrified vehicles accounted for three in 10 new cars.

The growth of the EV market is expected to accelerate in the coming years as the UK prepares itself for the 2030 ban on new petrol and diesel vehicle sales. However, following a big investment in the UK’s charging infrastructure, we think there has never been a better time to buy a new or used EV.

By the end of 2022, it's projected that electric cars will outsell diesel and mild hybrid diesel. Petrol is set to remain the most popular fuel choice for used car buyers for the next few years, yet, while diesel is expected to become a niche choice over time as drivers opt for cleaner and cheaper plug-in alternatives.

There’s been a massive increase in the number of electric vehicles on sale in the UK with more than 40% of models now available as plug-ins. Carmakers like Nissan, Tesla, Ford and Vauxhall have all expanded their model line ups to include affordable plug-in models. Premium carmaker Volkswagen has gone one step further and created the electric-only ID. range while Mercedes-Benz has created its innovative Mercedes-EQ models. See our guides for the best electric cars or the cheapest electric cars.

Our electric car statistics report takes a monthly look at the latest trends that are affecting the EV market. From charging stations and infrastructure to units sold and growth rates, this is your one-stop-shop for the latest electric car statistics, data and facts. Looking for general car sales statistics or used car pricing data and trends?

https://heycar.co.uk/blog/electric-cars-statistics-and-projections

Last edited:
By the end of 2022, it's projected that electric cars will outsell diesel and mild hybrid diesel. Petrol is set to remain the most popular fuel choice for used car buyers for the next few years, yet, while diesel is expected to become a niche choice over time as drivers opt for cleaner and cheaper plug-in alternatives.

https://heycar.co.uk/blog/electric-cars-statistics-and-projections
I don't understand the hostility to diesel since it's thermodynamically more efficient than the petrol engine.

I don't understand the hostility to diesel since it's thermodynamically more efficient than the petrol engine.
Unfortunately it's the nitrogen oxide emissions that are the problem with diesel engines. They emit approximately 30% more than petrol equivalents.

Modern diesels use AdBlue unfortunately the majority of diesels on the road do not have the system.

Last edited:
Yes, diesels are frowned upon. My daughter has a 2011 plate Fiesta 1.4l diesel which does 60mpg but she has to pay £12.50 per day to enter the London ULEZ zone. On the other hand, a 2008 plate 3L V6 petrol Jaguar XF is ULEZ compliant and exempt from the charges 🤔

Yes, diesels are frowned upon. My daughter has a 2011 plate Fiesta 1.4l diesel which does 60mpg but she has to pay £12.50 per day to enter the London ULEZ zone. On the other hand, a 2008 plate 3L V6 petrol Jaguar XF is ULEZ compliant and exempt from the charges 🤔
Yep, it's bonkers. A 4.4l v8 Volvo XC90 - a 350bhp 2.5tonne tank that will struggle to do 15mph around town, is ulez compliant, but my wife's little Citroen diesel that easily does 60mpg around town isn't.

ULEZ is to lower pollution in the city it has nothing to do with mpg, its personal choice if you want to drive a car rhat will only do 15mpg you have paid a much higher amount for your road fund licence and due to the amount of fuel you are using more in tax at the pump

Last edited:
ULEZ is to lower pollution in the city it has nothing to do with mpg, its personal choice if you want to drive a car rhat will only do 15mpg you have paid a much higher amount for your road fund licence and due to the amount of fuel you are using more in tax at the pump
I appreciate that whether or not your car is exempt isn’t determined by how many mpg it does, but, like you say, is supposed to be there to lower pollution in the city. To that end, I can’t quite understand how a car that burns and pumps the exhaust from a gallon of fuel for every 60 miles it covers can be deemed to be cleaner than one that burns the same amount amount of fuel every 15 miles.
If diesel is really so bad then why do most of the public transport vehicles that we are all being encouraged to use instead run on it?!

If diesel is really so bad then why do most of the public transport vehicles that we are all being encouraged to use instead run on it?!
Essentially this is the product of bad decisions that were made 10-15 years ago when diesels were thought to be the better solution due to their improved fuel efficiency.

We now know that petrol is better for tailpipe emissions (and obviously electric is much better in this regard) but it takes time for both the industry and fleet operators to catch up due to simple economics. Manufacturers can't just stop selling a product they've already sunk millions of pounds into development and fleet operators can't afford to replace vehicles years before the end of their expected life cycle.

In terms of public transport usage; one diesel bus has a considerably lower emissions impact than 100 single occupant diesel vehicles.

To that end, I can’t quite understand how a car that burns and pumps the exhaust from a gallon of fuel for every 60 miles it covers can be deemed to be cleaner than one that burns the same amount amount of fuel every 15 miles
Because the one that only does 15 to the gallon does less harm to air quality than the one that does 60.

. If we look at other sources of pollution, such as fine particles (like PM10, PM2.5, NO2 or NOx), it’s petrol that outperforms

Indeed, diesel engines have the uniqueness of requiring large amounts of air for fuel combustion to happen. The problem with this additional air is that it causes more chemical reactions, which release significant amounts of air pollutants. Among these pollutants are dioxides and nitrogen oxides, gases and fine particles, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, ethane, and ethylene.

Last edited:
My avatar is my high score on my old cx-5 diesel. it was euro 6 when new in 2012 and I'd never buy a car that belches out black smoke when you put your foot down. It's newer diesel version was slower and less economical due to increased refinement and sound deadening plus ad blue treatment system. So I didn't get another. I downsized to a smaller turbo petrol. The weight of the car you drive has an impact on the fuel efficiency as well as the efficiency of the engine/drivetrain. So that is one of my purchasing criteria. Lighter cars aren't always as refined though unless they are built with exotic/expensive materials but it's why I love Japanese cars. As Jezza once said - The Germans give you what you want, the Japanese give you what you need.

Diesels can be clean, I'm not sure they can be clean, inexpensive and uncomplicated anymore.

Last edited:
it's why I love Japanese cars. As Jezza once said - The Germans give you what you want, the Japanese give you what you need

My next car will be either a Yaris Cross or the latest Yaris (I don't need a bigger car) it will be a Hydrid, Toyota have got one of the best (if not the best) hybrid system out there I imagine the only thing that will improve it will be better battery technology meaning even more MPG.

Last edited:
Because the one that only does 15 to the gallon does less harm to air quality than the one that does 60.
. If we look at other sources of pollution, such as fine particles (like PM10, PM2.5, NO2 or NOx), it’s petrol that outperforms
Indeed, diesel engines have the uniqueness of requiring large amounts of air for fuel combustion to happen. The problem with this additional air is that it causes more chemical reactions, which release significant amounts of air pollutants.
The high working temperature and high compression ratio of diesel engines lead to undesired reations like the oxidation of nitrogen. However, it's the high working temperature that makes this type of engine more efficient. Legal limits for pollutants from diesel engines are about 20% higher for diesel engines than those from petrol engines.

A few thoughts on fine particles. These come from every combustion engine and one could choose to include any particle size depending on the instrumentation. Are we just conditioned by old diesel engines which billowed out clouds of smog, into thinking that only diesel engines produce particulates? In a city, particulates come from many sources, including tyre wear, asphalt wear, and general dust in the atmosphere.

Aromatic hydrocarbons: we don't want them from diesel engines yet we like to see road workers immersed in the fumes of asphalt. It smells of victory when we drive past.

Essentially this is the product of bad decisions that were made 10-15 years ago when diesels were thought to be the better solution due to their improved fuel efficiency.
I can’t believe we all fell for it. There’s no way any engine that fires a huge cloud of black smoke out of the exhaust as you start it up is going to be any good for the environment

In terms of public transport usage; one diesel bus has a considerably lower emissions impact than 100 single occupant diesel vehicles.
That’s assuming that all busses are full and all cars are carrying a single passenger.

If the bus is new i would agree but the smoke billowing ancient busses the company here runs are definitely not less polluting.

I don't recall falling for anything. I've had diesels, I've had petrols. Old diesels might belch smoke but certainly my current one, a doblo, doesn't. At any time.

That’s assuming that all busses are full and all cars are carrying a single passenger.
True for the example as I wrote it but the logic still holds for a half full bus v. 25 cars with 2 passengers (albeit with a smaller margin in favour of the bus).

It is the essence of the argument as to why public transport is a better solution for urban environments; fewer vehicles on the road = less pollution. The problem today is that public transport is more expensive and less convenient for people than jumping in their cars.

Latest posts

Back