Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The government currantly get 35 billion a year in road tax and fuel duty were, will that come from in 2035 answers on a post card

You appear to be suffering from selective memory the fact EV's are going to be taxed has already been discussed and petrol and diesel cars, trucks, busses, are not going to disappear over night they are not about to dump 35 billion in lost tax on EV users.

The government currantly get 35 billion a year in road tax and fuel duty were, will that come from in 2035 answers on a post card
There will surely still be many ICE vehicles on the road in 2035, they are only banning the sale of new ICE vehicles in 2030, you are talking as if they are going to crush all existing ice cars 😂 it has also been mentioned that there are other advantages (quietness, instant torque etc) other than cost

There will surely still be many ICE vehicles on the road in 2035, they are only banning the sale of new ICE vehicles in 2030, you are talking as if they are going to crush all existing ice cars 😂 it has also been mentioned that there are other advantages (quietness, instant torque etc) other than cost
No i am thinking long term Christ i will be 83 if i am still here :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8: i am thinking of all the people who will get a kick in nuts athumb..

Here's the problem in this table - £500 per year MORE for petrol, yet £10k more or less for an ev version of a car over petrol hence why fossil fuels are due to be phased out by law because I won't be driving for 20 years to make up the difference!

Here's the problem in this table - £500 per year MORE for petrol, yet £10k more or less for an ev version of a car over petrol hence why fossil fuels are due to be phased out by law because I won't be driving for 20 years to make up the difference!
This example assumes home charging costs 34p kwh. in reality, with an EV electricity tariff it would be about a third of that. It’s 28p kwh to charge at Tesco!

Its not going to be a problem for long (post #514)

Chippy Tea posted - In two years time when new EV's are the same price as their petrol equivalent it'll be interesting to see how many people with off street parking and who don't do 300 miles every day shift to EV, i honestly think sales are going to go sky high when the purchase price levels out.

So a separate EV tariff at lower rates today is an incentive, but as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow, those EV tariffs will become more expensive over time, heck they may even slap extra road fund tax on it making it more expensive than standard tariffs and you will be forced to only charge off the EV tariff by control of the smart meter, if I can think of it, the government boffins will have planned for it - make the most of the honeymoon period folks.

I will never buy a new car - let the first owner take the drive-away depreciation hit. With an ICE that’s fine, usually a 3 year old ex Motability (as most seem to be at Available Car and the like) with 18k on the clock has many years of reliable service in it before anything major needs doing. What’s the state of a 3 year old EV battery going to be and potential replacement cost for say a Citroen C4?

So a separate EV tariff at lower rates today is an incentive, but as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow, those EV tariffs will become more expensive over time, heck they may even slap extra road fund tax on it making it more expensive than standard tariffs and you will be forced to only charge off the EV tariff by control of the smart meter, if I can think of it, the government boffins will have planned for it - make the most of the honeymoon period folks.

So you think the government are going to stop us charging at home using our solar panels that we had installed to help save the planet and they are going to force us to use much more expensive chargers so they can get lost tax back, you really do need to take your head for a wobble.

Last edited:
They will have 35 billion to recoup 28b fuel duty 7b ved, or will they just right it off,

You posted the same question in post #526 and i answered it, do keep up.

Chippy Tea:
You appear to be suffering from selective memory the fact EV's are going to be taxed has already been discussed and petrol and diesel cars, trucks, busses, are not going to disappear over night they are not about to dump 35 billion in lost tax on EV users.

Last edited:
So you think the government are going to stop us charging at home using our solar panels that we had installed to help save the planet and they are going to force us to use much more expensive chargers so they can get lost tax back, you really do need to take your head for a wobble.
What is the average consumption requirement for an EV driver in KWh? Can the average driver generate and store the required amount to charge their vehicle using renewables?

What is the average consumption requirement for an EV driver in KWh? Can the average driver generate and store the required amount to charge their vehicle using renewables?
Do me a favour and read the whole thread or do your own research all these questions have already been answered.

Back