Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mg zs long range - 273 miles official figures

It's all very dependent on the type of miles. Short journeys, the ZS long range can do over 300 miles on a single charge.

It's all rather academic unless you're regularly doing over 200 miles without taking breaks anyway.

EV's seem to get a lot of bashing about not getting the stated range, especially in colder temperatures but in fairness nobody ever gets the claimed mpg of an ice car either so it is the same scenario
That is a totally fair comment about not reaching stated economy figures. In real life it's a bit different if all you can afford is a second hand nissan leak.

I used to work in cardiff which was a 100 mile round trip. I took the train, but now if I was still working there due to the huge collapse in the train service. (Thanks transport for Fails wink...) the service was pants even before the train strikes I would have to rely on my car.

In Cardiff where I worked not much chance of charging up so would I get home in colder temps? In comparison 5 mins in tesco pontardulias road and I'm good for 3-4 days. Of course I could charge up at bridgend and add at least an extra 30 mins+ to get home assuming the charger was unoccupied and working. So for those not able to afford a new EV with a reasonable range a daily commute may not be doable.

Having been completely disillusioned about working in Cardiff even though I was working within spitting distance of brewdog 🙄I took a job in the DVLA. In this case being so local meant that nissan leaf would have been fine for the job. Hence my earlier post about the desire to keep people local.

they also had 2 free charging points for a staff of around 5000 on the main site, so good luck getting a spot there. Also I'm not sure you'd be allowed to stay in the spot all day, so it all quickly gets quite out of hand

This is rather worrying, this is from Parkers website, just pointing out were is the incentive
Osprey Chargers in Purley Cross

The price of charging an electric car using a public rapid charger can be more expensive than filling up with diesel according to data gathered by Parkers. The soaring price of wholesale gas and electricity has forced up the cost of charging a typical electric car, with £10 of charge taking you less far than the same amount of diesel.

This rise in EV charging begins to bite just as petrol and diesel prices have started to creep up again after an autumn of reductions. Despite the spiralling costs of using public electric car chargers, 26% of Parkers readers are still actively considering an EV for their next car.

The RAC says that the average price per kilowatt hour (kWh) of a UK rapid charger is £0.63, but it can cost a lot more. Osprey announced in August 2022 prices of its rapid chargers to £1 per kilowatt hour before rapidly reversing that back to £0.79. Tesla charges an average of £0.77 per kWh for non-Tesla drivers, and the second largest rapid network, Gridserve, charges up to £0.66 per kWh.

You may also like:​

Large Electric Car of the Year 2023: Kia EV6 Plug-in Car Grant axed How much does it cost to change an EV battery?

Refilling petrol vs public charging prices​

The gap between petrol, diesel and electric has closed especially when using public chargers. Using Parkers’ own Miles Per Pound data gathered from official WLTP testing, we can directly compare how much it costs to fuel your car – by saying how far your money will take you when using public chargers at the RAC’s average cost. Putting £10 in your tank is now working out cheaper than £10’s worth of plugging in at a typical fast or rapid charger.

• Audi Q5 (2.0 TFSI petrol) vs E-Tron
    Petrol takes you 46 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 35 miles
  • BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe (420d) vs i4
    Diesel takes you 73 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 44 miles
  • Citroen C4 (110hp diesel) vs e-C4
    Diesel takes you 84 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 59 miles
  • Mercedes-Benz GLA (2.0 petrol) vs EQA
    Petrol takes you 43 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 52 miles
  • Peugeot 208 (110hp diesel) vs e-208
    Diesel takes you 89 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 56 miles
  • Vauxhall Mokka (110hp diesel) vs Vauxhall Mokka-e
    Diesel takes you 80 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 50 miles

This is rather worrying, this is from Parkers website, just pointing out were is the incentive
Osprey Chargers in Purley Cross

The price of charging an electric car using a public rapid charger can be more expensive than filling up with diesel according to data gathered by Parkers. The soaring price of wholesale gas and electricity has forced up the cost of charging a typical electric car, with £10 of charge taking you less far than the same amount of diesel.

This rise in EV charging begins to bite just as petrol and diesel prices have started to creep up again after an autumn of reductions. Despite the spiralling costs of using public electric car chargers, 26% of Parkers readers are still actively considering an EV for their next car.

The RAC says that the average price per kilowatt hour (kWh) of a UK rapid charger is £0.63, but it can cost a lot more. Osprey announced in August 2022 prices of its rapid chargers to £1 per kilowatt hour before rapidly reversing that back to £0.79. Tesla charges an average of £0.77 per kWh for non-Tesla drivers, and the second largest rapid network, Gridserve, charges up to £0.66 per kWh.

You may also like:​

Large Electric Car of the Year 2023: Kia EV6 Plug-in Car Grant axed How much does it cost to change an EV battery?

Refilling petrol vs public charging prices​

The gap between petrol, diesel and electric has closed especially when using public chargers. Using Parkers’ own Miles Per Pound data gathered from official WLTP testing, we can directly compare how much it costs to fuel your car – by saying how far your money will take you when using public chargers at the RAC’s average cost. Putting £10 in your tank is now working out cheaper than £10’s worth of plugging in at a typical fast or rapid charger.

• Audi Q5 (2.0 TFSI petrol) vs E-Tron
    Petrol takes you 46 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 35 miles
  • BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe (420d) vs i4
    Diesel takes you 73 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 44 miles
  • Citroen C4 (110hp diesel) vs e-C4
    Diesel takes you 84 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 59 miles
  • Mercedes-Benz GLA (2.0 petrol) vs EQA
    Petrol takes you 43 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 52 miles
  • Peugeot 208 (110hp diesel) vs e-208
    Diesel takes you 89 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 56 miles
  • Vauxhall Mokka (110hp diesel) vs Vauxhall Mokka-e
    Diesel takes you 80 miles for £10, whereas electric on a public charger takes you 50 miles

Yeah, some of those public chargers are an absolute rip off. I stick to charging at home where it works out about 4p a mile.

Putting £10 in your tank is now working out cheaper than £10’s worth of plugging in at a typical fast or rapid charger.

Yeah, some of those public chargers are an absolute rip off. I stick to charging at home where it works out about 4p a mile.

This is it in a nutshell, no one in their right mind would buy an EV to lower traveling expenses if they could only use public charging.

Why didn't they include the price of home charging as well so we could compare real world figures, i guess the answer is it would have made their article a joke which to be honest it is.

The price of charging an electric car using a public rapid charger can be more expensive than filling up with diesel
The incentive is that eg the person I knew who had an electric car used a public charger once in all the time they had the car, just to see how it worked in case they needed it in an emergency.

Comparing public rapid chargers to anything is a bit like using BP motorway service station prices to decide whether you can afford to run a fossil-fuel car.

In two years time when new EV's are the same price as their petrol equivalent it'll be interesting to see how many people with off street parking and who don't do 300 miles every day shift to EV, i honestly think sales are going to go sky high when the purchase price levels out.

I’m travelling to Lincoln tomorrow to drop my daughter back to Uni. I’ll charge to 98% tonight at home (£3.75 on my 5p kwh EV tariff) and will top up to 80% when I’m there in the local car park. That charger is 36p kwh so will cost a little over £16.00. Pretty sure there’s not many ICE cars that could do this 330 mile round trip for less than a tenner in fuel.

Edit - Just to add that after the above the car predicts I’ll still have over 20% charge left when I return home.

I run a small 3 year old petrol car i get roughly 50 - 60 mpg on a run petrol is £7 a gallon (ish) here so i would get 180 miles compared to your 330 if i had off street parking i would trade it in for an EV tomorrow.

Why didn't they include the price of home charging as well so we could compare real world figures, i guess the answer is it would have made their article a joke which to be honest it is.
I think they are high lighting the fact that a percentage of the population can't have home charging ie you me and many more, and as you say yourself nobody would choose to use a public charger at those prices with the exception maybe if you were on holiday so under this senerio in 2035 a large percentage of the population will be using shanks pony and all the money spent on smart motorways is a waste or, have they a cunning plan they are not telling us, i would an ev but it is just not worth it

I think they are high lighting the fact that a percentage of the population can't have home charging ie you me and many more,
There’s a lot of choice, and cost variance, in between home charging on an EV tariff and rapid charging at a motorway service station. Its not a matter of charge at home or spend a fortune. I’ll be charging at 36p kwh tomorrow, most supermarkets have chargers costing around 28p kwh. That’s far cheaper per mile than an ICE vehicle.

I think they are high lighting the fact that a percentage of the population can't have home charging ie you me and many more, and as you say yourself nobody would choose to use a public charger at those prices with the exception maybe if you were on holiday so under this senerio in 2035 a large percentage of the population will be using shanks pony and all the money spent on smart motorways is a waste or, have they a cunning plan they are not telling us, i would an ev but it is just not worth it

The cost of manufacturing will drop like a stone in the next 10 years. Infrastructure will be far more mature too.

Increased competition will also reduce public charging prices. Most charging points currently are pretty cheap. Much like the motorway petrol stations, there will always be some that charge outrageous prices for convenience.

Back