Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muddydisco said:
Can any of you Panasonic Sd-2501 users recommend a recipe out of the book or something good and basic to get us started. It arrived today and will be shopping Monday for ingredients .
Just start with the basic white loaf from the instructions so you can see what it can do as a baseline, you may be surprised!
Then you can try the variations in the manual and your own variations to produce what you like, you will find that most recipies in the manual are almost identical.

Don't bother with the super fast 1 hour loaf - it can't and nobody else can produce decent bread in that time.

Do fairly soon try using the machine to produce the dough and then bake in your oven, it takes more time and you can't put it on the night before ready for breakfast but the results are superior. I find the best result is to bake it in the microwave using a silicone bread "tin" rather than a metal one, using convection not microwave power though.

When your buying flour, cheap stuff is fine but also get some decent stuff to mix in to improve the texture and some interesting granary or seeded to mix in, a small amount of interesting makes a big difference but all interesting is both pointless and expensive.

One advantage of the bread machine is that you can have different bread every time - keep experimenting.

totally agree with throwing the recipe away for the one hour loaf.... :sick:
We mix the dough on automatic to be ready for when we get up,my wife then takes 30 mins to kneed it up put into the little moulds. let it rise and then bake in the oven. Wonderful. Pizza bases, Ciabata, fruit loaves, seeded loaves hmm the list goes on

Yep I put a cross through that one, once you said about it in chat last night PD :thumb:

Windy said:
...... Don't bother with the super fast 1 hour loaf - it can't and nobody else can produce decent bread in that time.

The only setting on the Panasonic that we don't use, tried it once, not a good result.

However all the other different bake settings are all good, sandwich, granary, italian, french etc if you are desperate for a loaf and can't wait 4 /5 hours nip to the shop and get a small unsliced to be going on with :!:

Basic white bread rolls
Water 1 and quarter cups of water
Skimmed milk powder 1 tbs
Melted butter 2 tbs
Sugar 2tbs
Salt 1 and a half tsp
Strong white bread flour 3 and a quarter cups
fast acting yeast 1 and a half tsp

Mix up in machine and turn dough out. knead it a bit and shape into rolls place on greased baking tray, brush lightly with melted butter
cover 20-25 mins, allow to rise until double in size bake approx 15-20mins at 190C

Makes 6 large cakes or 12 small cakes
However we place a sliver of dough into small bread moulds and let them rise to make the tiny " hovis " type loaves and rest into a couple of breadcakes.
Can all be done on auto overnight ready for turning out in morning for kneading....

Best bread I made last week was to follow the instructions on the back of allinsons whole meal strong bread flour and add half a cup of spent grain and a tablespoon of honey

Doh. "Don't tell them about the honey mummy" That's my biggest bread secret out of the bag. :eek: :roll:

Here is what my bread looks like with chicken in the middle, yum yum, as per recipe I gave earlier.

breadpic.jpg

:oops: well I dropped a goolie big style ..... forgot to put some bread on last night, so needed bread this morning for a bacon butty ....... nipped out to the local shop (well the garage a mile or so away) and bought the only thing available, a medium white sliced made by a reputable big bakery ..... first loaf we'd bought for yonks :?

Here's the thing though, it was awful, 'pasty' would probably as good a way to descibe it, very soft but not in a nice way, if you squashed it, it stayed squashed, that serves me right I suppose, won't do that again in a hurry :oops: Back to a nice thick wedge of home baked for next Sunday ... when you only have a BB once a week, gotta make sure it's right :!:

Baz Chaz said:
a medium white sliced made by a reputable big bakery ..... first loaf we'd bought for yonks :?

Here's the thing though, it was awful, 'pasty' would probably as good a way to descibe it, very soft but not in a nice way, if you squashed it, it stayed squashed
Baggie first guess???? White Hovis :?:

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Baggie first guess???? White Hovis :?:

BB

Nope wasn't them :hmm: warburnt be telling which one it was :whistle:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Mmm, tempted into buying a bread maker... :hmm:

Is there a big difference between the cheapo and the more expensive ones?
Can anyone recommend one?? I see that some on here have Panasonic... are these the best?? :wha:

BB

In my mind the Panasonic's are definately the one to go for. They seem to mix (knead) better than the others

Baz Chaz said:
... when you only have a BB once a week, gotta make sure it's right :!:

I was referring to BB as in Bacon Butty not BB as in Barnsley Brewer :whistle:

he heee...that's took the glint out of his eye.... :roll:

Baz Chaz said:
[quote="Baz Chaz":jpdzrr94] ... when you only have a BB once a week, gotta make sure it's right :!:

I was referring to BB as in Bacon Butty not BB as in Barnsley Brewer :whistle:[/quote:jpdzrr94]
You rotter, is that your way of saying it's over... :sulk: :sulk: :sulk:

BB :tongue: (Bacon Butty)

BarnsleyBrewer said:
...... You rotter, is that your way of saying it's over... :sulk: :sulk: :sulk:

BB :tongue: (Bacon Butty)

You're one of the fixtures and fittings, you're not here only one day a week :lol:

Well this was my baking results for today

A sourdough Hobz Malti or maltese bread.

Trafford-20121013-00083_zpse2edc070.jpg

Anyone who has ever been to Malta will know this is the best bread in the world, might look burnt but that is all part of it.

It was levened for 6 hrs then shaped and put in a very hot oven with boiling water splashed in the bottom to create steam. cooked for about 45-50 minutes.

It's only been cool for less than an hour and most of it is gone. Doubt there will be any left for toast in the morning.

:thumb: :thumb:

My first one will be going into the breadmaker tonight, looking forward to tomorrow :party:

Latest posts

Back