Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
piddledribble said:
he heee

one mix split into the 12 small bread moulds is enough for a breakfast for us. Its easy enough to make any b/cakes etc during the day if they are required.
these are the type of mini loaf tins we use

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/28095402 ... adtype=pla

we bought two in a local kitchen appliance store. Quite expensive but good quality and long lasting.
I like the look of those PD, which store did you buy them from?

BB

Its the one at Lakeside Doncaster, can't remember its name but its quite a large kitchen appliance store.. Lots of bright shiny pots and pans... far too expensive for home brewing though.
( just looked on Lakeside map and can't see it listed any more ! )

Tip when using these moulds..... use a thin strip of dough !! otherwise they rise up and end looking like overgrown mushrooms !

piddledribble said:
Its the one at Lakeside Doncaster, can't remember its name but its quite a large kitchen appliance store.. Lots of bright shiny pots and pans... far too expensive for home brewing though.
( just looked on Lakeside map and can't see it listed any more ! )
I know the one, I seem to remember coming out with the old "HOW MUCH" :shock: :shock:

BB

That's the one !

hope you saw edit on last post.

I blame you all!!!!! Now gone and ordered a Panasonic Bread maker!!!

I blame you all!!!!! Now gone and ordered a Panasonic Bread maker!!!

Awaken ye masses to the smell of freshly made bread........... :D :D

I have been baking bread now for the last 2 years. I started similar to my new exploit in wine-making which only started 3 weeks ago. :) It took me at least a year to perfect the skill of bread making and I hope I can do the same with wine but quicker. :pray: I will share the secrets of bread-making I have learnt. Please ask if I can clarify anything or send pictures if that helps. Here is the way to make it work that is full proof like Wurzels Orange Wine here on the site.

Ingredients:-

500 gms of Strong Bread flour (tescos 62p per 1.5KG is fine)
1 heaped desert spoon of salt
2 heaped desert spoons of olive oil (just as it overflows)
2 desert spoons of honey
7 grams or one sachet of instant quick dry yeast. (Hovis, tescos etc)
290 ml of warm water (half boiled and half tap cold) Finger can just about stay in it without discomfort.

That's the easy bit.

Now for the elusive technique which I will explain as best I can to be clear.

Points to note:-
1. The dough needs to be at "an almost exact consistency" before proofing(rising) or the bread wont have the shape or consistency you will be happy with.
2. You need to keep the dough covered as much as possible or it will dry out and be unworkable.
3. Steam in the oven will give you the best rise and crust. (like a professional bread).
4. Oil everything so you you don't get sticking.

Technique:-

Use a mixer with a dough hook. Bung ingredients in and mix for 5 mins. Doing it by hand can work but it is like cleaning bottles, it can put you off and takes about 20 mins. The consistency I talk of above is so very important, the way I will explain it is that the dough should be very sticky but will just about peel off hands, sides of bowl etc. If its too sticky add 1 table spoon of flour and mix again for 3 mins. If too dry add 1 tablespoon of water. Repeat if necessary. The dough should already have a feel and look like spongy window putty (blue-tac sticky but softer of course).

Oil a large glass bowl with about a teaspoon of olive oil. Roll dough into a ball and coat it by turning it in the bowl cover airtight with cling film and place in an oven which is warm but off. 60 degrees C. leave for about an hour to rise to twice the size, don't leave it too long or it will not rise the second time and be flat. Turn the oven on for a minute to warm again if it gets cold. After an hour take it out and knock it back by turning it a few times in your hand, but not too much. Cut it on an oiled sheet into 8 equal balls. DONT use flour. roll them into smooth balls and drop onto the oiled sheet with 1.5 inch gap between baps. Stick cling film together on a workbench to the size that will cover the sheet and all the baps. Rub oil on the cling film and place it over the baking sheet with the baps. If you can create a tent over the baps with the cling film by blowing into it, all the better for the best shaped bread. Place in a warm place to rise the second time. (about 30 mins while oven is heating). Meantime put oven on full 250C and I use a bread tin filled with small beach pebbles as my steamer. I put this in the oven for 30 mins before the bread and when I add the baps I pour 50ml of boiled water over the stones and close the oven quickly. Be careful not to pour the water over the glass oven door as it can break. The Baps should have doubled in size over the 30 mins second proof/oven priming time . Bung them uncovered of course in oven pour in the water and shut it quick, turn oven down to 200C. After 5 mins open the oven and let out the steam. Do this every so often to get the oven dry for the total 30min bake time. leave to cool and enjoy the nicest white bread you ever tasted. You can use this dough recipe for pizzas also, and any other shapes of bread. Let me know if you get this to work or need any other info.

Mike

Thats a lot of salt for the size of loaf :hmm:

I use a level teaspoon for the same size loaf.

I have found that less salt makes the bread taste bland, but you can use less if you want to be health concious. It is a lot if your eating it every day, I only make it once a week for chicken burgers and pizza. the spoon would not be totally heaped, in grams I would say 8-10. 6 gms of salt is RDA so you would be over your limit if you eat it all the time, so it works out at 1.2 grams per bap. I use low salt if that makes any difference so less sodium more potassium. I'm trying to justify it cause I like the taste a lot, probably should use less, :oops:

I make all kinds of other bread with less salt, like pitta and nan and sunflower but they have other ingredients that add flavour and so no salt required. I know Im still trying to justify myself, I should probably stop now. :whistle: :whistle:

more salt makes you drink more beer..... lol

that's why they sell crisps and peanuts in the pub.

Salt also halts the yeast hence why sourdough recipes say to add the salt after 30 mins fermenting.

mike383838 said:
. the spoon would not be totally heaped, in grams I would say 8-10.

No need to justify yourself, you put in as much salt as you want, just be aware the weight might not be accurate and be considerably more than you think.

I recently did an experiment, deliberately overpriming bottles, where I used a heaped teaspoonful, and I mean as much as you could possibly get on a teaspoon, which when I checked on the scales, weighed out at 8g :geek:

Baz Chaz said:
Thats a lot of salt for the size of loaf :hmm:

I use a level teaspoon for the same size loaf.
I normally use zero, much better to use tasty ingredients, otherwise you might as well have supermarket bread which is full of salt :?

I don't add salt to my beer either :grin:

I don't add salt to beer either even though water treatment calculations call for it. I do in bread though as I have bad childhood memories of baking bread at school and we didn't put salt in it, it tasted awful.

Can any of you Panasonic Sd-2501 users recommend a recipe out of the book or something good and basic to get us started. It arrived today and will be shopping Monday for ingredients .

Muddydisco said:
Can any of you Panasonic Sd-2501 users recommend a recipe out of the book or something good and basic to get us started. It arrived today and will be shopping Monday for ingredients .
Hi Nick,
Where did you buy it from?
BB

Bread machines are like George Forman grills, you buy them and then store them. Bread is best made by the fair hands of the baker, or his Bosch mixer which in my view is the better buy. OK it wont wake ya up on timer with the smell of bread in the morning, ding ding ding, but Im never gona set that thing at night, am I, no, did it twice then stored it, still in the attic as we speak, Ill put it on ebay and sell it if you want to try. :)

Latest posts

Back