Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got morphy richards few years old now but very good

Can anybody recommend a good flower to use..I read it needs to be a bread flower for best results.something from a major store like Tesco,Asda or Lidl.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Mmm, tempted into buying a bread maker... :hmm:

Is there a big difference between the cheapo and the more expensive ones?
Can anyone recommend one?? I see that some on here have Panasonic... are these the best?? :wha:

BB

What swung it for us, was when we were on holiday @ a friends place (they run a B&B) they had 2 of the Panasonic SD254's and they were both used every day keeping the B&B supplied in fresh bread :thumb: now with that sort of use and reliability we made our mind up and got one, looking around afterwards on t'internet .... they're incredibly popular and reliable.
Not the cheapest, but very good indeed, ours is used to bake all our bread (except for the occasional loaf when we've been away and we pick up essential supplies on our way home) :idea:

alank950 said:
Can anybody recommend a good flower to use..I read it needs to be a bread flower for best results.something from a major store like Tesco,Asda or Lidl.

Needs to be strong white flour Allinsons, Carrs, depends on whats on offer :whistle: favourite is Hovis Granary Bread flour.

You're best off buying the bigger bags, especially when they're on offer :!:

But watch out, you can go through a loaf in short order, it's rather good, fantastic toast, bacon butties :oops:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Mmm, tempted into buying a bread maker... :hmm:

Can anyone recommend one?? I see that some on here have Panasonic... are these the best?? :wha:

BB

We used to have a cheap one from Argos ,the bread was ok but no comparison to the bread made by the Panasonic , but like 1 can kit with sugar as to AG.

alank950 said:

Aldi strong white and wholemeal are very good ,as are Lidl's bread mixes which are quick and only need water adding.

My sour dough was worth the effort. It takes about a week to ten days to make the culture and it takes longer to prove the bread but the results are fantastic. :thumb:

Asda do 1.5kg of strong white bread flour for 60p :whistle:

I did also find the mix for granary as well the other day if I find it I will post it. :thumb:

Allinson's or Dove make yeast for bread machines in tins and larger packages which also work out much cheaper than the individual sachets.

You can also use spent brewing yeast as modern bread yeast was developed from beer yeast in the 1800's so it is all Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Sour dough isn't it is a different yeast and the lactobacillus, the lactobacillus ferments the flour and produce the sugars which the yeast ferments, hence the different flavour. :thumb:

Waitrose do some good mixes. Think they got like 10 varieties.

Bread's good made with beer instead of water and spent malt is great too, mix some in and sprinkle some on the top to crust.

Does bread flower store well..i was thinking of ordering a 16kg pack of internet..just over £20 posted..Allison strong white bread flower.

Pearlfisher said:
Not a good deal , you could get that quantity of LIDL's for £6.
Really!...must check Lidl..thanks...

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Another difference is that the Panasonics have non-stick coatings that last as long as a Tefal frying pan, the cheaper ones are like cheap frying pans and there is nothing worse than a good loaf that you can't get out of the tin without tearing it to pieces! In the long term the Panasonics do tend to work out to be the best value and as said above "the bread was ok but no comparison to the bread made by the Panasonic".

alank950 said:
Does bread flower store well.
If it gets even slightly damp then it goes mouldy very easily and it's also very easy to get little weevils living in it so in general it's best to keep a limited stock. Also the larger bags often don't work out cheaper.

I tend to use about 50% Tescos cheapest white mixed with 25% something decent like Allisnsons strong white and 25% something interesting like Allinsons Seed & Grain or Hovis Granary. Using the Tescos cheapest is as much about the final texture as about saving money.

Boss has just given me a Morphy Richards 48220, might give it a go tomorrow!! :thumb:

BB

I want to make bread again this weekend but SWMBO has banned me. Good job she doesn't know about the brewing :whistle: :whistle:

I want to make bread again this weekend but SWMBO has banned me......
:D :D why whatever did you do ?

Ciabata bread mix is also good at Morrisons.

We found that the makers recipes with each machine were fine except for what they describe as " quick easy loaf " and takes about 1 hour on automatic from putting in the ingredients to taking out the loaf. It was not worth eating ( several tries with it )
All the other recipes were fine. Learn to use the auto setting then before you go to bed, add all the ingredients flour water salt etc and wake up in the morning to the smell of fresh bread in your kitchen.
Mostly we use the machine for auto mixing and rising of the dough, so its ready for a further quick hand mix when we get up made up into tiny loaves or bread cakes leave to rise somewhere warm and then bake in the oven. takes half an hour or so....just time to get the coffee pot on have a bowl of cereal then eat your bread...Luxury

Made too much last week end :lol: :lol:

I seemed to have a large bowl with dough in it all weekend :oops: :oops:

he heee

one mix split into the 12 small bread moulds is enough for a breakfast for us. Its easy enough to make any b/cakes etc during the day if they are required.
these are the type of mini loaf tins we use

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/28095402 ... adtype=pla

we bought two in a local kitchen appliance store. Quite expensive but good quality and long lasting.

Latest posts

Back