ASDA red grape juice, sultanas and black forests fruit wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to make a 5L batch of sweet(ish) red wine for a change :-)

Recipe:
5L ASDA red grape juice (Gravity: 1.060) https://www.trolley.co.uk/product/asda-red-grape-juice/ELQ920
650g sultanas
500g frozen black forest fruits https://www.trolley.co.uk/product/asda-frozen-for-freshness-black-forest-fruits/VPG283

Pretty straight forward. I put the sultanas through the mincer on a fine plate then added them to a pot along with the juice. Black forest fruits were added then the whole mix was blitzed using a hand blender. I then passed it through a large brew bag into another pot. Gravity was 1.102. I heated the mix upt to 60c to (hopefully) kill off any bacteria. When it cooled, I added to the fermenter (corny keg) with yeast nutrient. Fermenting with S05 as I know this craps out at 12%ish. Worked well in a recent mead. I'm hoping this ends at around 1.014 as I really want a slightly sweet finish. Won't be bottling. Will serve from the keg it was fermented in. Planning on getting a floating dip tube added so that I don't have to worry about drawing up glasses of yeast.

The mix tasted wonderful. The black forest fruit mix added a lovely acidity. I could have drunk it as it was!

Any advice? What about adding tannins? Not really a wine maker so any thoughts most welcome!

Cheers!

Proper of piste 😁

I like your thinking of using the yeasts alcohol tolerance. To control sweetness. Stability worries me. If you leave some sugar in there, something is bound to find it and want to have a go. Once finished I would sulphite.

I assume you are planning to drink this quite quickly? It might struggle to clear, given the blitzer.
Cloudy doesn't matter.. Get some stoneware drinking glasses👍

This would make a nice winter warmer with some spices.

A bit more sugar and a bottle of cheap brandy would get you close to port.

Keep us posted.

Proper of piste 😁

I like your thinking of using the yeasts alcohol tolerance. To control sweetness. Stability worries me. If you leave some sugar in there, something is bound to find it and want to have a go. Once finished I would sulphite.

I assume you are planning to drink this quite quickly? It might struggle to clear, given the blitzer.
Cloudy doesn't matter.. Get some stoneware drinking glasses👍

This would make a nice winter warmer with some spices.

A bit more sugar and a bottle of cheap brandy would get you close to port.

Keep us posted.

Hey MB

Yep. A bit unorthadox :-)

I reckon it'll be stable in the keezer at 2c so can't imagine anything thriving in there. I want to avoid suphhites. Trying to keep this baby pure.

With regards to clarity, I'll hit it with some gelatine. Low temps will aid it too of course. Not planning on drinking it for around 3 months. Should be nice and settled then. Floating dip tube will help too of course.

Won't be carbed. I'll just hook gas up at 5psi to push out a bottles worth when I fancy it. Imagine I'll want to serve it at room temp too. Time will tell.

Better be feckin nice!

Fermenting along nicely ATM :-)

Update. Fermented down to 1.006. More than I was expecting. ABV: 12.6%.

It's tasting fantastic already. Those black forest fruits have added a lot of flavour. At the minute, it's tasting pretty berry forward. Perhaps half a bag would have sufficed. However, this flavour might mellow over time. I'd say it's tasting a bit acidic with those berries.

It's also lighter in colour than I was expecting. Definitely red, but I'm sure it'll be transparent when it clears. Much, much darker than rose, though.

I'm not detecting any sultana flavour. Was expecting this to come through. Maybe it will over time.

My reflections at the min:

Reduce black forest fruits by 50%
Up the sultanas to bring the must up by another 10 points - purely for a higher FG as my aim was to go for a sweet wine.

Another thought: Rather than sultanas which are a white grape, maybe I could experiment with currants - a red grape.

All in all, I'm over the moon with this so far. My wife even gave it the the thumbs up which says a lot!

Hi An Akoul. I used a beer yeast (S05) as it stops fermenting around the 12.5% mark. Used it in a mead a few months back and this stopped fermenting at around 12.5 too. If it fermented down to 1.000, it would come in at arounf 13.5. I've never heard of S05 reaching that tolerance before. I could be wrong, though! We'll find out. :-)

OK. So, I grabbed another litre of red grape juice from asda and some currants. I stick blended 340g of currants in the juice then brought it up to 60c and held it for 15 mins. Cooled it and took a gravity reading of 1.157. Added to the brew along with some yeast nutrient. Might need to add more yeast. We'll see if it takes off.

According to beersmith, with today's new addition and the original 5L combined, the SG would have been 1.112. Assuming the S05 won't tolerate anything above 13%, I 'should' get an FG of around 1.016. Current gravity should be 1.030 ish so not much more work for the yeast...

Ferment on little one!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back