Little help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dyke Busters

Reaction score
I started an "exbeeriment" well more of a project and need some advice.
I bought 3 muntons smugglers special kits and decided to tamper with them.
The first one is the standard kit with nothing changed. In fact the only thing I did do was add a second yeast packet from one of the other kits as I was informed on various groups that you don't get enough yeast in the kit.
So far so good this one has proven to be a great brew an has set the standard for the next brew.
Brew number 2 was the kit with no yeast, because I had used it in the previous kit. I bought some windsor yeast and used that to ferment it. This again has turned out very well.
However brew number 3 is causing me headaches. This is to be a mixed yeast.
Starting Gravity 1042 using windsor yeast. Waited 3 days added the yeast packet from the kit at 1022 Gravity. Waited 4more days added the hops northern brewer (as I did with the other brews) yesterday did a Gravity readings 1022. Looked at temperatures it had readings of 36C due to the warm weather Waited till night when it had cooled to add more yeast Nottingham which I believe is the one used in the kit. Two days later. Today in fact just looked at temperatures 22C and did Gravity 1020. Removed hop bag which was floating on top.
Tempted to leave until Monday but looking back at my other notes my Final Gravity on brew 2 was 1020. Is this done or not very confused.

Attachments

• 20240726_084045.jpg
    20240726_084045.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240726_084302.jpg
    20240726_084302.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
Number 2 you used Windsor if I am correct which is a low attenuating yeast so I would expect it to finish high(maybe not as high as 1020) but the 3rd with a mix I would expect to finish lower so I would give it more time

It may be suffering from the dreaded stuck fermentation which usually sticks at 1020.
If no movement after a couple of days search the threads for stuck fermentation and plenty of suggestions will come up athumb..

Well I have been brewing kits for over 20 years I have hurd of this but never felt with it. I have also only lost about 5 or 6 due to infections. So a good record I think.
Anyway went for the stirring option as its still reading 1020. Will look in again on it Wednesday and up date you from then.

Back