Changes to SMASH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masimcox

Reaction score
Evening all, I have just finished a second SMASH brew using the same ingredients as the first:
Dingemans Pale Ale 9MD Malt
Polaris T90 Hop Pellets
Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell Ale Yeast
Water from Morrisons.
So far both brews have been good, I’m using a Brewzilla 3.1.1 and have aimed for an IBU of 35.
Could you give me an idea of what single ingredient I should change for my 3rd SMASH brew? TIA

It depends what you want to drink.

Swapping hops is the obvious one giving you a similar but different beer.

Yeast, would be the most enlightening.

This comes up good.
Smash.
4kg pale malt.
500g wheat malt
60m mash @65c
45 mins boil.

40g of Cascade pellets -15m
50g of Cascade -30m +Irish moss
60g of Cascade @85c for 30m

CML Notty & Windsor yeast.

Evening all, I have just finished a second SMASH brew using the same ingredients as the first:
Dingemans Pale Ale 9MD Malt
Polaris T90 Hop Pellets
Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell Ale Yeast
Could you give me an idea of what single ingredient I should change for my 3rd SMASH brew? TIA
Normally I would always say yeast - you can change beer so much by changing yeasts. But Polaris is a somewhat eccentric choice as a first hop, so I'd probably change that out first. As to what - depends a bit on what kind of beer you like. If trad English is your thing then you can't go wrong with Goldings, if you like more West Coast-y things then go with something like Chinook, if hazies are more your thing then Citra.

But in general it's a great idea to keep the same grist for your first couple of brews, whilst you dial everything else in, then just change yeast or hops to give some variety in the end result.

Normally I would always say yeast - you can change beer so much by changing yeasts. But Polaris is a somewhat eccentric choice as a first hop, so I'd probably change that out first. As to what - depends a bit on what kind of beer you like. If trad English is your thing then you can't go wrong with Goldings, if you like more West Coast-y things then go with something like Chinook, if hazies are more your thing then Citra.

But in general it's a great idea to keep the same grist for your first couple of brews, whilst you dial everything else in, then just change yeast or hops to give some variety in the end result.

Best sensible answer.

Back