WHC - Mango Madness (yes it is!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll update this as I go, but suffice to say, this is the most bonkers yeast I've ever used.

It's a new (Feb 2024) Thermotolerant yeast. It's ideal for NEIPAs and fruity tasting beers. It has a partner in crime which is the absolute opposite called High Voltage. It's apparently a very clean yeast with no esters, so absolutely ideal for a pilsner or lager.

When I bought it, the site talked about higher temperatures and being able to dry hop at 15-25c and I saw a review which talked about 30c.

So imagine my surprise when I pitched the yeast at 24c and within 12 hours, with absolutely no heat on a fairly cool night, it's at 32c.
I'll put the heat belt on to try and keep it up there though.

That's because the ideal range of this yeast is (wait for it) 31-37c as I've found out from their website
https://whclab.com/product/mango-madness-yeast/?v=79cba1185463

These have been designed for warm breweries where getting the temperature down is particularly difficult. It's gone absolutely bonkers. Now bear in mind, I'm also fermenting under pressure, I'd be surprised if it's not far off FG. I'll dry hop on Friday and I'll be bottling this at the weekend.

If you thought Lallemand Verdant was quick......

Anyhow, in case you wondered what you can do with this, here's some numbers.

Yeast Strain Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Dosage 30-100g/hl
Fermentation Temperature 31°C to 37°C
ABV Tolerance 17%
Nitrogen Demand Very High
Attenuation 76% to 80%

This is definitely calling out for a DIPA in the future, particularly with a tolerance of 17%.

I was going to use Mango Madness but went for Saturation and that goes mental too and stays very foamy on top even when done.

I got a pack last week in anticipation of a bit of summer. Solid rain today, here in the arctic wastes of sunny Brittany, with a max of about 20C sometime this afternoon. Over the next fortnight we might get a glimmer of sunshine and struggle to reach 21. I'm thinking of going back to brewing lager!

Last edited:
I got a pack last week in anticipation of a but of summer. Solid rain today, here in the arctic wastes of sunny Brittany, with a max of about 20C sometime this afternoon. Over the next fortnight we might get a glimmer of sunshine and struggle to reach 21. I'm thinking of going back to brewing lager!
As I said above, this stuff pretty much makes its own temperature. I pitched at 24c and it was 32c for 36 hours with no heat.
I've checked it this morning and it's down to 25c, so I've put the brew belt on, just to be sure.

I'm pretty sure it's done though. It's no longer bubbling and the foam has mostly gone.

I reckon that was done in 24 hours.

Oh and I'm happy to drink NEIPAs all year round.

I use Kveik regular for IPA's as it throws a orangey flavour at the high temps too and let it freefall. It is done by 2 days with moderate ABV beers. I know some say they do not like it but that's just like most yeasts. I like it as the tropical taste adds to IPA's but would not use in standard ales.
I will give it a try soon and will be interested how much mango flavours it throws as I have said I used saturated which did not seem to give any real fruity flavours(I was surprised) having seen member reviews. I have a second brew on with it so we will see if that is any better

I pitched this and fermented at 20 in error. Ripped though it in a couple of days, hope it tastes alright…

I pitched this and fermented at 20 in error. Ripped though it in a couple of days, hope it tastes alright…
As above, I pitched at 24. It soon brought itself up to temperature on its own.
I was more concerned about my Duvel - I've literally had very little krausen, despite it being at 26c (which is towards the top of its tolerance)

Mine stayed at 20 as it’s in a fridge. Ramped it up to 30 but it was all but done by the time I actually read the back of the packet.

I was out Tuesday but after checking it Wednesday it was done, down to 1.012 so I dropped it down to 15, dry hopped it for 3 days and then cold crashed for a day and a half, kegged this morning.

All done in a week, I’ve not tried it yet but if it’s any good then I think for a summer yeast (I probably couldn’t reach the required temperature in winter) and you want a quick brew it’s a good choice.

I guess an update to mine.
Bear in mind, it was only 2 weeks ago I used it, I tried some of the NEIPA I made with it on Thursday.

Can't say I was overly impressed. I've made this NEIPA before - I drank the last bottle this evening - so I know it's a good one. The new one tastes a bit bright, of course, but I expected some fruity overtones and I'm not getting them at all.

Latest posts

Back