WHC - Mango Madness. Meh, not bothered.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not going to start rubbishing WHC but I have used 2 of their yeasts and both underwhelmed(Saturation x 2 & Banana Split x2) and neither did what I expected).
Some brewers have said they were good but I am just 1 brewer

OK, I'm fairly sure I can give a decent review now.

Recipe: Dark Rock Hazy Daze. I've made this twice before, so I know exactly how it should taste.

For: Thermotolerant. Up to 37c. That's great for summer brewing without a brew fridge. I'm pretty sure most of the western world can brew at that.

Against: Meh. It's not as good as Verdant. I don't want to come across as "one of those", but I'm used to a hoppy, fruity taste to this beer. It's a firm favourite. I thought perhaps using a "mango" yeast, it could be even fruitier - I'm not averse to a really juicy beer (I was drinking Pupa over the weekend, for instance)

Sadly, didn't hit the spot. Nothing wrong with the beer. As it said, it's fully thermotolerant. It spent much of the day that it took to ferment at 32c+. No funny esters or banana tastes or anything odd like that. It just didn't add anything to the beer and frankly, it's made it rather LESS fruity.

OK, I'm fairly sure I can give a decent review now.

Recipe: Dark Rock Hazy Daze. I've made this twice before, so I know exactly how it should taste.

For: Thermotolerant. Up to 37c. That's great for summer brewing without a brew fridge. I'm pretty sure most of the western world can brew at that.

Against: Meh. It's not as good as Verdant. I don't want to come across as "one of those", but I'm used to a hoppy, fruity taste to this beer. It's a firm favourite. I thought perhaps using a "mango" yeast, it could be even fruitier - I'm not averse to a really juicy beer (I was drinking Pupa over the weekend, for instance)

Sadly, didn't hit the spot. Nothing wrong with the beer. As it said, it's fully thermotolerant. It spent much of the day that it took to ferment at 32c+. No funny esters or banana tastes or anything odd like that. It just didn't add anything to the beer and frankly, it's made it rather LESS fruity.

I've tended to find fermenting warm to have deleterious effect on hop flavour and aroma. What you gain in esters, you definitely seem to lose from your hops.

I've tended to find fermenting warm to have deleterious effect on hop flavour and aroma. What you gain in esters, you definitely seem to lose from your hops.
I'm with you on that. I genuinely am not picking up any esters, but as you said, hop flavour and aroma isn't great.

Don't get me wrong, it's very drinkable - I'm certainly not going to be tipping it down the drain.

I'm with you on that. I genuinely am not picking up any esters, but as you said, hop flavour and aroma isn't great.

Don't get me wrong, it's very drinkable - I'm certainly not going to be tipping it down the drain.
Similar with Banana Split I have done it twice and still no Banana Explosion.
Saturation twice and no different to any standard ale yeasts to me.

On the same lines I have asked CML about verdant & unfortunately they don't do similar. Shame.
I emailed about this last year, and they told me clipper is their closest.

I’ve used it a few times since and it’s really good in a hoppy pale

I spoke to our head brewer yesterday. He was saying that particularly in bulk, WHC yeasts are 1/3 of the price of Lallemand. He made one of his usual brews using the WHC equivalent and in my opinion, it's not as good. He asked me, because he knows it's my favourite.

I had a few of mine this weekend and I'm feeling the same way about this too. I'll be returning to Verdant next time.

Given the description I guess that WHC Mango Madness is the Ebbergarden kveik strain, and High Voltage is Lutra?
Close to those, but not the same, they're unique strains which can be traced back to those as parentage, but are different to the origin strain

On the same lines I have asked CML about verdant & unfortunately they don't do similar. Shame.
Verdant is very unique in that these house yeast was a mutation of LAIII, the multi variations were broken down and isolated and then they chose which they liked for its profile and then the commercial strain was born.

Chosen for its stone fruit flavours, that creamy yoghurt taste, however it can be lazy and easily stop mid fermentation.

The latest Ponoma which comes out in September is being talked about in comparison to Verdant, but again its not the same and offers differing characteristics.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/comp...li-fpktc/?trackingId=Ud1gabrwi5YWOOYNk7QPxw==

Chosen for its stone fruit flavours, that creamy yoghurt taste, however it can be lazy and easily stop mid fermentation.
I find that fascinating that people are finding that.

I'll be completely honest here, I run Verdant at the top of its temperature limits, if not slightly over - it hit 27c during the summer (many people have said it's a lot more thermotolerant than it makes out). Never had a stall and I've done a fair few brews with it now.

Its tolerance is supposed to be 18-25c.

I find that fascinating that people are finding that.

I'll be completely honest here, I run Verdant at the top of its temperature limits, if not slightly over - it hit 27c during the summer (many people have said it's a lot more thermotolerant than it makes out). Never had a stall and I've done a fair few brews with it now.

Its tolerance is supposed to be 18-25c.
James Verdant says that about its flavour, think he says it in the CBC video for the launch of the yeast, he also has said it to us and it might be in our Sundialer video.

If I remember correctly it was Munch Bunch yoghurt.

The laziness is definitely talked about in the Sundialer video as I ask Sam more about it.

Latest posts

Back