have beer kits improved?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Ballared

Reaction score
been brewing all grain since 1990 and just bottled my first ever kit.

they used to be rubbish but pre carbonation it tastes great.

have /and if so by how much have beer kits imptoved over the last 30 odd years?

I tried brewing from kits in the early 80’s when it was very hit and miss and the kits were very basic as well so I gave up, but decided to try again during lockdown. Wow, the kits available now are so much better, as is the equipment and I haven’t looked back.

I tried brewing from kits in the early 80’s

Boots kits made in the airing cupboard my dad made one once never again 🤢

1721502960379.png

Also as you've brewed AG for a while you'll have good processes for cleaning, sterilisation, temp control, number of weeks for fermenting/carbing & conditioning.

None of the 80's follow the instructions for beer in 21 days made in hygienic student conditions a la young ones

I'm 50-year experienced AG brewer. Opposite me on the table is my first ever kit (Festival Razorback). Maybe I get to make it tomorrow?

I think that says it all?

None of the 80's follow the instructions for beer in 21 days made in hygienic student conditions a la young ones

Been there got the T shirt....Boots lager kit in the airing cupboard, exploding bottles, tasted rank but it was cheap beer.:D

I do think kits have improved a lot, but at the end of the day they are still a compromise. I made a kit recently that I'd made 11 years ago and rated highly, it was very average compared to the AG brews I do now, I couldn't wait to finish it and get rid of it TBH.

I was an AG brewer for a number of years who moved onto kits in recent times due to time constraints primarily. If you avoid chucking in tons of sugar, pay close attention to fermentation temperature, are careful about oxidation (all things an AG brewer would do) you can make decent beer. There is still scope for a bit of experimentation/refinement too, which means it can be satisfying as well.

In the 1980's I was a Kit brewer, and I can honestly say that due to my ineptitude , adding more sugar and the like, that apart from cheap alcohol, that they bore only a passing resemblance to beer. My preferred kits were from "Boots" (own brand) and "Geordie" brand.
From memory they all tasted mostly the same (Yeast type ?) and many were somewhat "Cidery".

I am now an all grain brewer, and for me the modern brewing yeast choices have pushed my beer making to things that would not look out of place in a commercial pub.

I have tried a couple of Youngs and Festival kits in the last few years and they are very good. Not having to add granulated sugar which to my mind makes a thin flavour is a big step forward versus the modern "two can" all malt kits.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the quality one can kits either imo, as long as you use dried malt extract instead of sugar as the extra fermentables. I've made some nice beers with the muntons one can kits that way. You can also sub some of the dme for some steeped crystal malt etc. Easy way to add extra body.

I'm 50-year experienced AG brewer. Opposite me on the table is my first ever kit (Festival Razorback). Maybe I get to make it tomorrow?

I did a Razorback kit a few years ago. I didn't add the extra pack of dextrose and only brewed it to 20 litres but it was lovely. It reminded me of the Devil's Backbone American IPA that Wetherspoons used to sell. That was a really tasty brew 👍

Cheers Tom

You picked a great one to start with. I have one in my fermentation fridge at the moment, dry hops will be going in later in the week. I've brewed this several times now and it always turns out great.

And to the OP, yes kits have vastly improved.

I've been brewing for well over 30 years on and off and never progressed beyond kits so I've pretty much seen the progression. My Dad used to brew so he got me started but when I was at Uni I bought a Boots starter kit and made my first brew. As a student it was drinkable. The big step up was the increased number of all malt kits such as the Woodforde's range, these were way better than the can + 1kg of sugar type kits. After that the kits with hop additions included again took it to another level.

For me it hasn't purely been the kit progression, I now brew in a fermentation fridge so proper temperature control, I probably also use better sanitation products like StarSan, and the more recent addition has been a kegerator, Corny kegs and forced carbonation for serving. I'd always been of the view that beer should be naturally carbonated and CO2 only added to keep the beer fresh / get the last bit out of the pressure barrel. I now a force carbonation convert, just give such better control over carbonation levels and being able to serve a consistent pint every time.

Swap out the yeast is one of the first things to do with most kits
Maybe, but most of the premium type kits come with yeasts specifically tailored to the kit style and generally of a good quality / quantity so really no need to use anything else. Even the Mutons sub brands (e.g. Woodfordes) that used to come with a measly 5g sachet of yeast now come with 10g and I never have any problems fermenting them out with that. I always used to swap these for a Safale S-04 due to having a few stuck fermentation issues but don't bother now.

I'd probably only swap the yeast if I was brewing a 1 can kit that I'd pimped but I don't tend to bother to do them now.

Most of my brewing is still with Muntons light HLME, CML ale yeast, Dextrose and now cryohop wet hop tea. All grain is a time luxury I can't afford.

The important things are a sanitisation regime, rigorously implemented recipe, water treatment, temperature control, CO2 pressure keg transfer. Chilled storage = good consistent product. athumb..:beer1:

Agree with Graz re. kit yeasts being pretty decent these days. Muntons two can kits have muntons gold which is a decent highly flocculant yeast. The one can kits have muntons active yeast which is less attenuative (70% versus 75%) and less flocculant, but leaves more body (and benefits from cold crashing). Muntons active is equivalent to something like the Mangrove Jack's Empire ale yeast in my experience. Smaller packets for both types, but never had any probs with the muntons gold yeast doing its job from one packet. Tended to use an additional sachet of muntons active yeast if brewing a one can kit plus 1 kg of DME, but no probs using one sachet for beer with 500gms of DME and 500gms of crystal malt.

Well I am more a cider and wine type, but have used a Cooper Irish Stout kit changed the yeast for CML BEIR, used a mix of extra dark and light malt dried extract instead of sugar and steeped some chocolate malt as well to add turned out rather good not Guinness, but a very smooth and deep pint that has got the thumbs up from stout drinkers

Well I am more a cider and wine type, but have used a Cooper Irish Stout kit changed the yeast for CML BEIR, used a mix of extra dark and light malt dried extract instead of sugar and steeped some chocolate malt as well to add turned out rather good not Guinness, but a very smooth and deep pint that has got the thumbs up from stout drinkers
Sounds nice. I'd quite like to try that kit, plus the Coopers English bitter at some point.

Latest posts

Back