What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All in all, I'm very happy with the Mundschenk, it wasn't quite as daunting in practice as I'd imagined it would be. I think once I get used to it, it will probably be indispensable.

I also brew on a Mundschenk, after a few stove top brews in a 10L stock pot.
I love it, find it easy to use even as a total beginner. I find on my unit there's a difference between the temp display and the temperature of wort both at the top and out of the re-circ arm (display is a couple of degrees lower) but now this is compensated for, I'm getting some great results :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I also brew on a Mundschenk, after a few stove top brews in a 10L stock pot.
I love it, find it easy to use even as a total beginner. I find on my unit there's a difference between the temp display and the temperature of wort both at the top and out of the re-circ arm (display is a couple of degrees lower) but now this is compensated for, I'm getting some great results :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I did worry about that as I'd read everywhere of similar reports, I checked repeatedly with a tried and tested thermometer throughout the process and there only seemed to be a discrepancy initially, I probably just got lucky this time so I won't get complacent.

I did worry about that as I'd read everywhere of similar reports, I checked repeatedly with a tried and tested thermometer throughout the process and there only seemed to be a discrepancy initially, I probably just got lucky this time so I won't get complacent.

I'd just keep an eye on it if I were you. Check the temp at the top of the mash and the temp on the runnings from re-circ arm / tap and make sure they're in the right area. There will always be a slight difference from top to bottom. I reckon it's probably particular to each unit. Likelihood is mine just needs calibrating but I've now programmed myself to work on a few degrees difference :laugh8:

Finally got the second attempt Staropramen clone done with my first go at a decoctation (or is it decoction ?) :-

IMG_7433.jpg

Took about a third of the mash out and boiled it for 20 minutes. Found out the flip side of the saying "a watched pot never boils" which turns out to be "an un-watched pot boils over" :laugh8:.

The wort definitely looked darker than last time (my first attempt was too light in colour, staropramen has a bit of a dark tinge to it).

As I didn't know how things were going to progress time wise I used manual control on the BZ. I also left PID control on for the boil. I reasoned that as I'd set the target to 102c which it would never reach it would just keep the heat on which it did. Set it to 50% once it reached the boil.

Took slightly longer than yesterday's kit brew (I did a chill rather than no chill), like four hours longer ashock1.

Made a kit. Haven’t done that since I started all grain. A Christmas present - Muntons flagship hazy IPA. Resisted the temptation to pimp it apart from using two packs of yeast rather than one.

Took an hour in total including fetching water (used tap) with practically no cleaning up.

The instructions are day 1 - make, day 2 - dry hop #1, day 10 - dry hop #2.

I'm monitoring the temperature and primary fermentation is obviously coming to an end. Now this could be because I doubled up on the yeast so it would have been quite rapid.

If I was following the instructions as "dry hop #1 at the start of fermentation and dry hop #2 after the diacetyl rest" I'd be thinking about dry hop #2 in a few day's time. 10 days seems a long way out to me. Should I dry hop #2 early ?

Finally got the second attempt Staropramen clone done with my first go at a decoctation (or is it decoction ?) :-

View attachment 103122

Took about a third of the mash out and boiled it for 20 minutes. Found out the flip side of the saying "a watched pot never boils" which turns out to be "an un-watched pot boils over" :laugh8:.

The wort definitely looked darker than last time (my first attempt was too light in colour, staropramen has a bit of a dark tinge to it).

As I didn't know how things were going to progress time wise I used manual control on the BZ. I also left PID control on for the boil. I reasoned that as I'd set the target to 102c which it would never reach it would just keep the heat on which it did. Set it to 50% once it reached the boil.

Took slightly longer than yesterday's kit brew (I did a chill rather than no chill), like four hours longer ashock1.

Forgot to mention @foxy and @MashBag - I put the top plate on the mash whilst draining it and gave it a good press. Probably got about a couple of litres athumb...

A 23L batch of CML Māori Mingle, this really stretched the capacity of my boiler when I was mashing in and I had to reduce my water volume of my mash down to 20L to avoid it overflowing, as it’s a fair amount of grain. But brew day itself went smoothly and wort is now cooling in the fermentor.

Tweaked this for my own process and what I had in stock.

https://sierranevada.com/blog/our-beer/pale-ale-homebrew-recipe#section-77f1-f164

Sierra Near-Vada Pale Ale

Batch -12.5L
OG -1.056
IBUs - 44
EBC - 19.5
ABV - 5.6%

Water

Ca-190 Mg-15 Na-30 Co3-15 SO4-330 Cl-165

Mash - 60' @ 68c.

Extra Pale Planet - 94%
Medium Crystal - 6%
Crystal - 20g

Boil - 90'

Cascade - 5g @ FW
Cascade - 10g @ 60'
Cascade - 30g @ 30'
Protofloc - 0.3g @ 10'
Nutrient - 0.7g @ 10'
Cascade - 30g @ 0'

Fermentation

Safale US-05 pitched at 19C.

Just got back from a Festival. My brew ingredients arrived on Friday and I'm out of NEIPA, so what better thing to do hungover on a bank holiday Monday than a brew!

I possibly need some help with the dry hop. The recipe calls for 50g of Sabro as part of the dry hop, but TMM are out and I can't be bothered with paying shipping for 50g of hops.

I have tons of Azacca, Liberty and El Dorado. I thought I had some Ekuanot (which would have been an ideal substitution, but sadly not). Also have 50g spare of Mosaic, but I'm not a fan of dry hopping with it. Prefer it in a whirlpool.

Thoughts?

AmountNameDetails
3kgPale Ale Golden Promise
1.3kgBEST Pilsen
1kgGolden Naked Oats
1kgWheat Flaked
500gOats Flaked
200gMaltodextrin
100gIdaho #730 minutes
50gMosaic30 minutes
100gBRU-1Day 7
100gCitraDay 7
50gSabroDay 7

The instructions are day 1 - make, day 2 - dry hop #1, day 10 - dry hop #2.

I'm monitoring the temperature and primary fermentation is obviously coming to an end. Now this could be because I doubled up on the yeast so it would have been quite rapid.

If I was following the instructions as "dry hop #1 at the start of fermentation and dry hop #2 after the diacetyl rest" I'd be thinking about dry hop #2 in a few day's time. 10 days seems a long way out to me. Should I dry hop #2 early ?

Took a gravity reading yesterday - 1.011. The instructions (I know :roll:) say fermentation is complete when the gravity is less than 1.014 so I reckon its done. Cloudy as gravy which could be because the sample came via the tap near the bottom of the FV. Tasted very bitter. Going to do the second dry hop tomorrow and bottle on Friday.

Just got back from a Festival. My brew ingredients arrived on Friday and I'm out of NEIPA, so what better thing to do hungover on a bank holiday Monday than a brew!

I possibly need some help with the dry hop. The recipe calls for 50g of Sabro as part of the dry hop, but TMM are out and I can't be bothered with paying shipping for 50g of hops.

I have tons of Azacca, Liberty and El Dorado. I thought I had some Ekuanot (which would have been an ideal substitution, but sadly not). Also have 50g spare of Mosaic, but I'm not a fan of dry hopping with it. Prefer it in a whirlpool.

Thoughts?

AmountNameDetails
3kgPale Ale Golden Promise
1.3kgBEST Pilsen
1kgGolden Naked Oats
1kgWheat Flaked
500gOats Flaked
200gMaltodextrin
100gIdaho #730 minutes
50gMosaic30 minutes
100gBRU-1Day 7
100gCitraDay 7
50gSabroDay 7

See attached. Closest is El Dorado...

Attachments

• HOP COMPARISON2.pdf
    472.7 KB · Views: 0
Brewed a Blackberry Wheat Ale today. 3kg Lager malt, 2kg Wheat malt, 30g Hallertauer Tradition (20 IBU) and White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast. Mashed at 69°C for 40 minutes and boiled hard for 70 minutes. 24 1/2 litres at 1.045 OG. Once the fermentation winds-down, I'll add 2kg of Blackberries that my daughter and I picked over the past couple weeks that have been sitting in the freezer. Guessing it'll end-up around 4.5% ABV or so.

About 30 ltrs of plum jerkum well 20 L of boiling water on about 30k of plums which was as many as I could fit in a 50 L saucepan and have enough headspace

Latest posts

Back