What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I went too heavy on the Pilsner and will up the Munich a bit next time.
Well I have mashed in the black this morning. Generally following the Braukaiser recipe with 20% dark Munich which I have never used before. Hopping to 22 ibu with Northern Brewer and Celia as that’s what I had.

Have the Hana pilsner malt from the GEB sale, so far seems to be happy with a single infusion.

Well I have mashed in the black this morning. Generally following the Braukaiser recipe with 20% dark Munich which I have never used before. Hopping to 22 ibu with Northern Brewer and Celia as that’s what I had.

Have the Hana pilsner malt from the GEB sale, so far seems to be happy with a single infusion.
I hadn't heard of Braukaiser before and just looked it up. Wish I had known about it before I did my Schwarzbier. I did a single infusion mash also.

Final stage of my brew today. Bottled an Imp Stout & created labels

Attachments

• IMG_20240727_134432.jpg
    IMG_20240727_134432.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240728_133550_edit_492803391393032.jpg
    IMG_20240728_133550_edit_492803391393032.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
Used my new toy tonight for the first time - 27L Fermzilla Gen 3.2 Tri-Conical. To keep it simple I just used the MYO Premium Lager kit from The Range, but used different yeast - Hoppin Pils from CML. For the dry hop in a weeks time, I'm replacing the kit hops with Motueka, hoping to get a nice citrusy hopped lager for the next short spurt of summer weather, when/if it visits central Scotland again!
Just to follow up on this, for anyone interested. This brew has turned out to be amazing. I wasn't holding much hope out for it, with it being a kit (my experiences of kits are hit and miss, with that 'twang'), but maybe because this was done in the Fermzilla under pressure, it's improved it?

Fermentation was done in 3 days, and I left it for a further 4 days before removing the collection pot full of trub and hop matter. Left it another week before transferring 5L to a mini keg and put it into the fridge to force carbonate for 10 days while on holiday. It's a little cloudy, probably due to the dry hop, but not sure if that'll clear with time. It has that citrusy/lime aroma and taste that I was hoping for. The rest of the fermzilla contents have been kegged and are carbonating. This won't last long!

I haven’t brewed anything recently, but I’m eager to get back into it soon. I’m thinking about trying out some new techniques or experimenting with different ingredients.

In progress at the moment, an alleged Tim Taylor Landlord clone, using an all grain recipe kit from Brew Day. Malt is golden promise, hops are Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings.

1722686402440.jpeg

1722686432629.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4518.jpeg
    IMG_4518.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I brewed a Pacific Ale clone today.
OG 1,045 FG 1,010 ABV 4.6% IBU 27 SRM 3.5 Mash pH 5.5
3 kg Weyermann Pilsner malt
1.5 kg Weyermann Wheat malt
0.5 kg Flaked wheat
8g Galaxy @ 20 minutes
20g Galaxy @ 10 minutes
10g Galaxy @ 5 minutes
30g Cascade dry hop in secondary.
Mash into 32 litres of water 40 minutes @ 64C 20 minutes @ 70C

Holding steady @ 64C
IMG_1309.JPG

Iodine test
IMG_1313.JPG IMG_1314.JPG
Double barrel squeeze and an extra 2 litres
IMG_0551.JPG IMG_1315.JPG
Boil and gravity check
IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1318.JPG
That will do me. What I am hoping for.
1723172265978.png

First day back at school for the kids today, so I like to take the day off to drop off and pick up.

I’d been swithering all weekend about whether to brew today but the lure of my new toys was too much.

A Belgian blond with an expected ABV of 6.5%

First day back at school for the kids today, so I like to take the day off to drop off and pick up.

I’d been swithering all weekend about whether to brew today but the lure of my new toys was too much.

A Belgian blond with an expected ABV of 6.5%

How are you finding the Conicus? I've my 2nd brew in mine at the moment too, wasn't too gone on dropping the yeast compared to the Fermzilla - thinking of extending the legs so I can put the collection jar on it. Apart from that it's pretty good, the customising will probably help loads down the line.

How are you finding the Conicus? I've my 2nd brew in mine at the moment too, wasn't too gone on dropping the yeast compared to the Fermzilla - thinking of extending the legs so I can put the collection jar on it. Apart from that it's pretty good, the customising will probably help loads down the line.
Yeah I’m enjoying it a lot, really happy with it.

I bought a tri-clover lid that is meant for the Kegland Kegmentor and it fits perfectly. I haven’t actually done any yeast-dumping yet as I just drew off the top with the floating dip tube, but the next brew I’m doing is a kolsch so I’ll probably use it then before I lager it.

Last edited:
Some kinda light Ale, not really following a recipe, just something simple to test my new equipment.
Although, it did take me four days!

Day one:
Spent about an hour and a half setting everything up, weighing out stuff, checking everything was good to go the next day and hoping for no almighty cock ups (the Doom Bar was my reward for a job well done 😅).

IMG_20240816_180958_066.jpg

Day two:
Used Klarstein Mundschenk for the first time, approx 28 litres tap water (stood overnight and treated with approx 7ml lactic acid 60%) at strike temp of approx 68°C.
Added approx 2.5kg Crisp Maris Otter, mashed for approx one hour at a consistent 65°C with the recirculation pump running throughout.

Removed grain basket and, due to issues with the plug adapter constantly blowing fuses (four in total), left overnight.

IMG_20240818_161212_763.jpg

Day three:
Fitted UK plug, voided the warranty, but it works now.

Raised wort to boiling (2500w up until 99°C then switched to 1500w to avoid potential boil over but it seemed stable enough) then added approx 750g light DME to the wort and 15g Summit in hop spider and left to boil for 30 minutes. Added approx 50g Lorien at 15 minutes (total of 33 IBU) along with approx 25g yeast nutrient and a gram of protofloc.

Left to cool overnight, took sample and tested SG: 1035 (corrected from 1020 at 59°C). So if it gets down to 1008 it should hit a nice even 4% ABV after carb.

IMG_20240818_173313_238.jpg

Day four:
Transferred wort into fermentation bucket, approx 23 litres, vast majority of grain trub remained in Klarstein (which was a bit of a bugger to clean out) so this should hopefully have significantly less trub at the end.

IMG_20240819_154754_038.jpg

Pitched 10g pack of Cross My Loof Kveik Hornindal at approx 24°C, placed bucket on heat mat (set to target temp of 31°C) and covered w
ith neoprene jacket.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Mundschenk, it wasn't quite as daunting in practice as I'd imagined it would be. I think once I get used to it, it will probably be indispensable.

Last edited:
I brewed a user upper Golden Ale,
Pilsner Malt 37%
Maris Otter 36%
Simpsons Lager Malt 17%
Cara Gold 10%
Mash for an hour 66 C

Admiral at start of boil 18 IBUs
Herefordshire Goldings 7 IBUs at 15 mins
EKG 2.4 IBUs at 5 mins

25g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh Whirlpool 82 c

Lallemand Nottingham

😀 Some kinda light Ale, not really following a recipe, just something simple to test my new equipment.

Day one:
Spent about an hour and a half setting everything up, weighing out stuff, checking everything was good to go the next day and hoping for no almighty cock ups (the Doom Bar was my reward for a job well done 😅).

View attachment 103063

Day two:
Used Klarstein Mundschenk for the first time, approx 28 litres tap water (stood overnight and treated with approx 7ml lactic acid 60%) at strike temp of approx 68°C.
Added approx 2.5kg Crisp Maris Otter, mashed for approx one hour at a consistent 65°C with the recirculation pump running throughout.

Removed grain basket and, due to issues with the plug adapter constantly blowing fuses (four in total), left overnight.

View attachment 103064

Day three:

Raised wort to boiling (2500w up until 99°C then switched to 1500w to avoid potential boil over but it seemed stable enough) then added approx 750g light DME to the wort and 15g Summit in hop spider and left to boil for 30 minutes. Added approx 50g Lorien at 15 minutes (total of 33 IBU) along with approx 25g yeast nutrient and a gram of protofloc.

Left to cool overnight, took sample and tested SG: 1035 (corrected from 1020 at 59°C). So if it gets down to 1008 it should hit a nice even 4% ABV after carb.

View attachment 103065

Day four:
Transferred wort into fermentation bucket, approx 23 litres, vast majority of grain trub remained in Klarstein (which was a bit of a bugger to clean out) so this should hopefully have significantly less trub at the end.

View attachment 103066

Pitched 10g pack of Cross My Loof Kveik Hornindal at approx 24°C, placed bucket on heat mat (set to target temp of 31°C) and covered w
ith neoprene jacket.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Mundschenk, it wasn't quite as daunting in practice as I'd imagined it would be. I think once I get used to it, it will probably be indispensable.

Every day is a school day. Your post (plus @RichardM ’s post below yours) makes me think I should do a ‘whatever’ brew. Use the shortest date hops and whatever grain I grab first.

Got a staropramen clone to do first though. Hopefully tomorrow.

Some kinda light Ale, not really following a recipe, just something simple to test my new equipment.

Day one:

View attachment 103063

Day two:

View attachment 103064

Day three:

View attachment 103065

Day four:

View attachment 103066

ith neoprene jacket.

Make sure you get the unit insulated for winter and put some lagging around the return pipe. They are a great unit, I have been using one since 2017.

Brewed a Citra Pale Ale on Friday.
12L @ c. 5%

2kg No. 19 Maris Otter
200g Wheat Malt
150g Rolled Oats
50g Aromatic

Citra Lupomax @ 20, 10, 5 and H/S for around 40 IBUs.
First time using Kveik (MJ M12). Pitched and held at c. 30deg.

Checked yesterday evening and only a couple of points of FG (1.008).

I had a small amount of hops left (only 8g or so) and chucked them in as a dry hop without thinking. Now thinking this might not have been the best idea given it's still at 30deg. As it's nearly at FG, think I'll take it off the heat pad this eve and drop it down to room temp, before transferring and getting the keg in the fridge probably tomorrow...

Back