What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m pretty certain I’ve never before been sent a couple of Llamas but that’s exactly what happened a few days ago - @Alastair70 sent me a bottle of his 6.2% “2-Llamas” American Amber ale.

You can see in the picture this is a crystal clear ale with a beautiful deep copper colour. The healthy off white foamy head had great retention and stuck around for the whole pint. Carbonation is medium high.
View attachment 82193

The aroma is a very inviting and slightly sweet smelling toffee with low spice and floral notes.

The flavour is much like the aroma with a little pine thrown in. The sweet toffee flavour has a nice burnt sugar quality to it like toffee that’s been cooked to the point of burning, which I quite like. The beer finishes with an assertive bitterness that lingers.

I wonder if the malt character might be a little strong for an American Amber (it isn’t really a style I’m very familiar with so I may be wrong here) but either way it was a very nice beer and I enjoyed drinking it 😉. Thanks very much for a great start to my evening Alastair 👍
Cheers H, really glad you enjoyed it. UKNHC Judging comments were much like yours; well made, no flaws but toffee malt instead of caramel which is “crucial to the style” according to one. Happy to score a 36 and a 37 with it.
Looks like the recipe for ‘3 Llamas’ needs drafting, most of my speciality malts are from Weyermann and getting the German/US substitutions right is taking a bit of tweaking.

You know how people say they cant drink this and that because over indulging at some point....I have a similar sort of experience with a night on the Bailey's.......🚽I wouldn't say I'm lactose intolerant maybe a bottle was pushing it🤔
Perhaps you wouldn't need to push it 😅 :laugh8:

Sounds a bit like my brother to be fair..... a mouthful of Eton mess and it's squit squat 🤣

Last edited:
Porter kicked on a full glass 👍🏼 keg free for the next beer in the fermenter 🥳
IMG_20230221_210614.jpg

The wine looks good but that toaster ❤️ I have my one 15 years and it still makes the nicest toast (so the kids say) just swap the elements when they go and good as new.
It’s the small things that make me happy lol
AND the timer switch... Good thing with brands like that is spares are available...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back