What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all. I’m having a last sample of my two competition lagers before they get posted out later this week.
First up, the Vienna. I really like it, but the perceived bitterness is a little high for style. I need to relook the water profile on this brew.

712A400A-B033-41ED-8163-F37E92A4623D.jpeg

First pour of my first NEIPA, from the recipe in the Greg Hughes book. Ended up 6.6%, I’m certainly biased but I think it’s better than 90% of the hazy pales and ipa’s on the shelf at Tesco. Has 350g hops so ended up costing a relatively steep £2/litre.

It has a pleasant bitterness considering it had no boil hops at all. Hop flavours come through nicely, I left it on the hops about 10 days. Heard that can give it a grassy flavour but I can’t detect that. Hopefully this doesn’t get oxidised. It does have a couple of floaty bits which is unpleasant, hopefully that’s just from the first pour from the keg.

It’s a very nice colour of bright yellow in reality, this photo makes it look a bit darker.

25AC4193-9F71-4465-9A18-FD039D8B3E2F.jpeg

And the NZ Pils. This is a cracker. I hope it’s well received in the comp, No.2 son brewed it with me and we’re meeting up in London to attend the judging.

View attachment 82111

I’d be really interested to see your recipe for this one, if you don’t mind. My local brewery, Leigh on sea brewery, do a NZ Pilsner which is great but they don’t have it on tap all the time 😥
https://shop.leighonseabrewery.co.u...cans/products/pier-train-nz-pilsner-440ml-can

I’d be really interested to see your recipe for this one, if you don’t mind. My local brewery, Leigh on sea brewery, do a NZ Pilsner which is great but they don’t have it on tap all the time 😥
https://shop.leighonseabrewery.co.u...cans/products/pier-train-nz-pilsner-440ml-can
Brew day write up is here. It’s the first one I’ve done, recipe is based on a clone recipe from a NZ website. I can’t remember which one, or which pils they were cloning.

Thread 'NZ Pils - Lager for Life entry'
NZ Pils - Lager for Life entry

Here is the bitter gone wrong? Not sure what. So now I am quitting with the sparge and am going to go with the Hazelwood 1 hour rest after cooling before transferring to the fermenter. The last batch went in nice and clear.

20230220_145133.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back