What are you drinking tonight 2023.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things just got better
IMG_1708.jpeg

We went to our nephew yesterday for Chinese and beers as it was his birthday. Nice evening. Today I’m taste testing my cider. On it’s own it’s nice and quite tart with the first sip. Then I tried blending the cider with flavours. My wife tasted the apple & mango and I’ve lost that 🤷‍♂️. This is the toffee apple version, nice but maybe a bit sweet, for me at least, so I’ll use less flavouring. I’m already feeling squiffy knocking back 6% cider before I’ve eaten and I’ve a few more flavours to try! 🥴

4C64CFB3-9720-4816-A982-59946E0562AA.jpeg

After a few glasses of cider this afternoon and a couple of glasses of bitter this evening I’m ready for a guest beer, this 9.5% Tripel from @Tess Tickle's Brewery

The bottle was full to the brim but the beer behaved itself. The beer itself is golden amber and I can see it’s crystal clear when I wipe away the condensation from the glass. The off-white head formed a nice foamy blanket that dropped to a thin raft over the surface after a minute or so.
BB9344A9-C873-4E73-B05C-EADA6963CE3B.jpeg

The aroma is actually quite saison-like with orange citrus and black pepper spice supported by malt that smells sweet and thick.

The flavour reflects the aroma and has an almost orange liqueur quality to it. You can certainly tell this is a strong beer although the alcohol is smooth and gently warming not solventy or hot. The bitterness balances that sweet malt nicely leaving a long bitter-sweet finish.

There are no off-flavours or obvious faults in this beer although for BJCP competitions it might benefit from a little more attenuation to dry it out a little?

Thanks very much Tess another lovely beer! I might have a little nap now…😴

After a few glasses of cider this afternoon and a couple of glasses of bitter this evening I’m ready for a guest beer, this 9.5% Tripel from @Tess Tickle's Brewery

The bottle was full to the brim but the beer behaved itself. The beer itself is golden amber and I can see it’s crystal clear when I wipe away the condensation from the glass. The off-white head formed a nice foamy blanket that dropped to a thin raft over the surface after a minute or so.
View attachment 89773

The aroma is actually quite saison-like with orange citrus and black pepper spice supported by malt that smells sweet and thick.

The flavour reflects the aroma and has an almost orange liqueur quality to it. You can certainly tell this is a strong beer although the alcohol is smooth and gently warming not solventy or hot. The bitterness balances that sweet malt nicely leaving a long bitter-sweet finish.

There are no off-flavours or obvious faults in this beer although for BJCP competitions it might benefit from a little more attenuation to dry it out a little?

Thanks very much Tess another lovely beer! I might have a little nap now…😴

Thanks H!

It actually finished at 1.004!

It's a pity you didn't stick your hydrometer in it 😁

That does surprise me, if felt very full-bodied like a good DIPA.

Maybe the beer needs a little more bitterness if you plan to enter it in BJCP competitions - although I know you prefer lower bitterness for your own beers.

I might have to open a bottle and stick the thing in to check 🤣

@Hazelwood Brewery

This is what I used. I think my eventual OG was 1.076 and FG of 1.004. Maybe I should've used slightly higher percentage candi sugar, what do you think?

View attachment 89796
Your low FG is throwing me because it feels wrong given the body and residual sweetness. Some sweetness (perception) can come from lower IBUs. More sugar should give you a more dry finish (but that FG!).

My own Tripel uses 5Kg malt and 1.25Kg candy sugar resulting in a 9.2% beer with 30 IBUs. My OG is 1.076 and FG is 1.006.

I guess you could try a little more sugar, a little less malt, and a few extra IBUs but if you like the beer as it is you could change nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back