What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What am I drinking tonight? Some pretty horrendous stuff. I shall refrain from naming the brewery, for now, but it was vile. Utterly disgusting! I bought one last week and chucked it down the drain. Went back to the same offy and mentioned it. Was told loads of them had been sold with no complaints. Was given another one to try. I almost threw up. This can't be good for the retailer. I will be contacting them tomorrow to advise them to remove them from the shelf. 🤮
That doesn't sound good at all🤮

@Hopsteep
I am trying this strange beer of mine again. Renamed the not so English hazy ale
I can definitely relate to your review. It's got a Belgian quality to it. The sharp after taste is mellowing. I am getting orange, light spice. Low bitterness maybe slightly thin if I am honest.
I will try again in a few weeks but this is turning out to be a nice surprise ☺️
IMG_20210212_210500188.jpg

Last edited:
The citra was lovely as always but the howling gale is more of a slight breeze after that hop bomb. less abv and it shows in a drastic way.
once this is done it’s down the shed in the howling gale for a pint of Irish extra stout. And another disappointing sip of my verdant pale that seems to be getting oxidised badly before it conditions 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 1A4627A3-30DD-4D0A-99BC-F4F66F6CBE1D.jpeg
    1A4627A3-30DD-4D0A-99BC-F4F66F6CBE1D.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 52
  • B2FD991D-0A6A-48E3-A073-216E3480445C.jpeg
    B2FD991D-0A6A-48E3-A073-216E3480445C.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 46
Mate, it was rank! Not sure if it was chemical or infection but you couldn't drink it. Got another beer from the same brewery, that I have had a few times before, that was off as well. Nowhere near as bad but it wasn't right. Then came another two beers from a different brewery. First one had a definite off flavour, possibly acetaldehyde (bruised apples, latex paint) but not sure. Second had something wrong with it too. I drank I but it was maybe a bit catty. I was never a huge fan of this brewery and will avoid in future. But the first brewery is one that I would rate. Somewhat disappointed after 4 shyte beers.

The best thing I can say about the sticky toffee pudding beer is that it isn't impaired by being served way too cold!
Thankfully I brought this in at the same time and it's now at a temperature that allows the flavours to show through!
View attachment 41428
like a lot of good beers, flavour and aroma really starts to shine when it warms up a little imo.

Oh no. How did that happen
I closed transferred in the normal way purged the keg a few times etc..the only difference. I just fitted some new secondary regulators and I came down the morning after after setting the pressure with the fridge low to carb and that keg pressure was a zero. I can only think that the seal dropped and O2 got sucked in with the cold temp.

Mate, it was rank! Not sure if it was chemical or infection but you couldn't drink it. Got another beer from the same brewery, that I have had a few times before, that was off as well. Nowhere near as bad but it wasn't right. Then came another two beers from a different brewery. First one had a definite off flavour, possibly acetaldehyde (bruised apples, latex paint) but not sure. Second had something wrong with it too. I drank I but it was maybe a bit catty. I was never a huge fan of this brewery and will avoid in future. But the first brewery is one that I would rate. Somewhat disappointed after 4 shyte beers.
Local brewery I'll guess?

Not sure how I feel about this
On the right my Irish extra stout lovely my water profile leans better to stouts so love brewing them with a few water additions
On the left an attempt at a slightly hazy ale with oats and wheat. Thought it was getting oxidised but not sure now as the colour is still ok but I was getting wet cardboard slightly but now I’m not sure never brewed a chinook cascade combo before. Will leave it another week or so and see as it’s mellowed a bit past week or so. Not one I would brew again though.

Attachments

• F2BAA5F8-F329-41F9-86C2-C4F7C1200BB5.jpeg
    F2BAA5F8-F329-41F9-86C2-C4F7C1200BB5.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 44
You aren't wrong. Just makes you not want to trust them again. Where is the quality control? This stuff should be indentified before the batch is shipped out to retailers.
Had the same problem. Went out for some Thai food and had a bottle from a local brewery branded for the restaurant and the diacetyl taste was over powering. Messaged the brewer to ask if he had any other complaints and he went off on one !! I wasn’t giving out just asking if he had had any feedback to the same. At £5 a bottle I expected more. Haven’t touched his beers since.

Ages ago I had a tin of something from Tiny Rebel which although it didn't taste off as such it had the appearance of brown sludge...they said "it was normal.."

@Hopsteep
I am trying this strange beer of mine again. Renamed the not so English hazy ale
I can definitely relate to your review. It's got a Belgian quality to it. The sharp after taste is mellowing. I am getting orange, light spice. Low bitterness maybe slightly thin if I am honest.
I will try again in a few weeks but this is turning out to be a nice surprise ☺️
View attachment 41434

Very wheat beer ish! Lovely beer!

Had the same problem. Went out for some Thai food and had a bottle from a local brewery branded for the restaurant and the diacetyl taste was over powering. Messaged the brewer to ask if he had any other complaints and he went off on one !! I wasn’t giving out just asking if he had had any feedback to the same. At £5 a bottle I expected more. Haven’t touched his beers since.
I got a bottle of hillsted farm 'horny bull stout' from Tesco that was so sour it tasted like a Brett stout. I emailed them, telling them there might be an infection and tried my best to identify it. I wasn't looking anything in return but they didn't even acknowledge the email. They won't be getting any of my money ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back