What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Friday all!
Inspired by HB's review of Pennines sour, I've dug this out of the cold store.
This is fairly mouth puckeringly, acidicly sour. But has lovely cherry, pepper and smokey oak flavours. 2018 vintage, I have one more bottle which is right at the back of the store and I will try and forget about for a couple of years!
_20210212_181051.JPG

Happy Friday all!
Inspired by HB's review of Pennines sour, I've dug this out of the cold store.
This is fairly mouth puckeringly, acidicly sour. But has lovely cherry, pepper and smokey oak flavours. 2018 vintage, I have one more bottle which is right at the back of the store and I will try and forget about for a couple of years!
View attachment 41394
Where are you getting all the Belgian beer
Don't say Belgium 😂😂

@samale
This beer is from thornbridge in Derbyshire. Recent orders from them have been delivered by APC, well packaged, undamaged and with a quick turn around.

Last edited:
My second beer tonight is also from @Pennine and came in the same box as the sour. This one is labelled as a 7% Belgian Blonde.

Carbonation was fairly soft in comparison to the sour. Just a small head formed through the pour and dispersed quickly. The colour is very similar to the sour - golden brown with an orange hue.

This is quite a different ale to the sour however. The aroma is, by comparison, quite muted. I can smell the bubblegum and spice typical of many Belgian ales but it doesn’t have the intensity of the sour. There’s maybe a slight caramel background to this one that I didn’t pick up in the sour.

The flavour is again really nice but very different. There is more sweetness in this ale, there is a warming alcohol flavour, less bubblegum, less spice, no tangy marmalade 😢

It is another nice ale and honestly I’d be happy to drink it all night (but I’d be thinking about the sour 😂 ).

Thanks again @Pennine - great job mate. I’m going to miss you in Colorado 😉

C61983DF-19A2-495D-9953-66FDA2A95A2E.jpeg

First sample of my Dubbel. Still undercarbed, it's only been in the bottles a few days tbf I just was itching to try, but you can see from the clarity, there probably isnt tons of yeast there so I'd say another 5 to 7 days before it goes into the cold. Happy with it though. Little thin but its young and undercarbed so I expect this to improve from an already nice base.
20210212_190503.jpg

First up @JFB Brett Saison. Looking forward to this 😊
Pours a real golden colour, slight haze with a bit of sediment ( probably my fault for not leaving it long ). Slightly under carbonated.
Aroma: big aroma of Brett, sour and acidity, grassy slight lemon
Flavour: this has everything going on, nice Brett taste, lemon, pepper then a real acidity sour finish. Leaves the mouth bone dry. Leaving an almost dry white wine finish.
This was an experience in it self, it has loads of flavour. My taste buds got a real hammering. Really enjoyed this, not something you could drink loads of. As a one of beer it's packed full of flavour.

Cheers
IMG_20210212_192435613.jpg

Strong grapefruity tang to this Hop,skip and Juice pale ale from Vocation brewery, with Simcoe and citra.
Hazey, quaffable with light bitter finish - will drink this again
IMG_2021-02-12-19-49-35-002.jpg

This Juicebox Citrus IPA from Fourpure on the other hand is best avoided, apparently they had to change the design on the can as it was too appealing to children.
Unfortunately at the same time they changed the recipe, no longer any mention of the Citra and cascade
it was previously hopped with and tastes like fizzy orange pop.
IMG_2021-02-11-18-53-37-226.jpg

From sublime to ridiculous. Need this drunk so as it doesn't take up space in the store anymore. Didn't really enjoy the bottle of it that I had previously and so this one's been hanging around for a while!
View attachment 41404

I also have a bottle of sticky toffee pudding - not the same one (what, there’s more than one brewery making this sh1t?!). I made the mistake of saying it was nice to the person that gave me one - come Christmas I had six more🤦‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back