What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That last beer was nice so I’m having another. This batch is just getting into it’s stride now.

IMG_7089.jpeg

…followed by a best bitter.
IMG_7090.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m starting early today because I need something to feed my mind and body 😉. I’ve just polished off the last 4 home made sausage rolls and now cracked a can of Kapa from Moot Brewery while I’m designing the refit of my brewshed to accommodate the new chiller my wife bought me for my Birthday. Happy hump day!

IMG_7098.jpeg

Another taste of my cask bitter with a cheese roll. It’s still not clear but the flavour has improved and the bitterness has softened even over just a few days. Getting there.

IMG_7099.jpeg

It’s very easy drinking and the foamy head is both gorgeous and long lasting.
IMG_7101.jpeg

Last edited:
That's not a cheese roll it's a barm cake :coat:
Potayto, potarto - it’s bready and cheesy so it’s great! 😉 What I’m really excited about though is this beer, it’s the same recipe as my kegged version but is so well balanced as a cask beer. I’m seriously starting to regret giving away most of my King Kegs!

Potayto, potarto - it’s bready and cheesy so it’s great! 😉 What I’m really excited about though is this beer, it’s the same recipe as my kegged version but is so well balanced as a cask beer. I’m seriously starting to regret giving away most of my King Kegs!
Must admit H that looks a seriously good pint, did you carb it with gas or sugar, how low can you go psi for carbing, i use 20psi for lager type brews and 10 pis for bitters and English pales

Must admit H that looks a seriously good pint, did you carb it with gas or sugar, how low can you go psi can you go for carbing, i use 20psi for lager type brews and 10 pis for bitters and English pales
Thanks Rod!

I used 40g sugar in a 23 litre batch. I used to be a bit sceptical about secondary fermentation being any different to forced carbonation, I think because many other people said so - gas is gas 🤷‍♂️. However, my own experience in my early days of brewing and again now (when I’m far more confident) clearly shows a difference in foam quality and persistence. No doubt in my mind.

When/if I put this beer on tap I will only use gas to keep the head space free of oxygen so will apply very gentle pressure. I might even use my 30/70 mixed gas at something like 3 psi so the forced CO2 will be almost nothing.

Generally though for keg beers I use 6-7 psi for bitters, 10-12 psi for most other stuff, and 15-18 psi for the highly carbonated stuff. Any higher than that and it’s just too foamy. I might be able to go higher with my new chiller where the kegs, lines and taps are all chilled, we’ll see.

Latest posts

Back