Filtering corny keg into another corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengee

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a brewing problem. When fermenting, my hop bag broke. I didn't notice this when I transferred from the fermenter to my corny keg.

When I try to pour a pint from the keg, no beer comes out. I took the OUT post off, dismantled, cleaned out the hops from the poppet, reassembled, and reattached. I tried again but got the same result. I cleaned everything again. The process was repeated.

A friend of mine suggested that i remove the poppet from the post and crank up the pressure to try get rid of the hop debris. I did this (got sprayed in the process) and thought it had worked until I tried to pour a beer last night. Blocked.

Is there a way to get rid of the hops? I thought about siphoning the beer into my second corny through a sieve. Is this the answer? Are there such sieves on the market?

Thanks

I purchased one of those "carbonator" lids. This is an example off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilangsan-Carbonation-Diffusion-Carbonator-Cornelius/dp/B0BBGCJ7FV

Shocking price! Maybe I got it off eBay?

Removed the diffuser stone and replaced with one of them float extractors (those filter end might work, but might just block up again). I've then got something to use when it happens again.

[EDIT: As it is a "gas in" post you have to connect it to your tap with a "gas in" disconnect!]

The Festival kits used to come with a small tube of mesh to put over the end of your siphon - they work well enough, or you could just use a section of your hop bag held on with an elastic band? The downside is the air contact risk. The problem with most of the filters (try searching for Bouncer hop filter) is you need to get the beer to them so you can't just use a jumper from corny to corny.
There is also a "corny floater" that might work, or you could just attach a short (gas in) dip tube to the out post and attach a float to that - it works pretty well until the end of the keg.

I had the same problem. I took out the dip tube, and wearing protective gloves sprayed with statsan, fitted a floating dip tube to the keg while full of beer. Worked surprisingly well.

Edit:
Beer was still in the keg when I did this

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a batch of IPA a few years ago ended up using a syphon with a filter on the end to transfer it to a fresh keg.

I'm a fan of floating dip tubes. I have one in my fermenter as well so after cold crashing the beer is drawn off from the top down, minimising the risk of transferring any drops to the keg

Latest posts

Back