I've never had a successful brew with a MJ yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
Never a big success, and results have varied from 'drinkable' to flop. I know I've read other posters here swear by Liberty Bell, for example, but I've tried it twice without success. And the other day I brewed an IPA (Nicks90 recipe), and pitched M44. No sign of life after 36 hours, and I'm not prepared to wait longer than that. Re-pitched with US-05, and in no time there was a vigorous krausen. I'm now casting a baleful eye at the batch of oatmeal stout I brewed the other week, and wishing I hadn't used M42 in that (the fermentation seemed OK, if not exceptionally vigorous).

I don't think it's my methods; I have no issue with my go-to yeasts: S-04, US-05, and Verdant.

Interesting, Liberty Bell is my go-to yeast: not a fan of S-04 anymore, produces a very bland beer IMHO. LB is usually bubbling the airlock within 6-8 hours if I rehydrate it.

I've had varied success with some of the other MJ yeasts, in particular the M15 Empire Ale yeast has always been a bit of a failure.

I doubt a pitch rate issue, aren't yeast quantities usually based on a nominal 23 litre batch? My standard batch size is only 15 litres, and in the case of the IPA I mentioned, only 12.

I used M15 once too, and that wasn't good either.

Me too I’ve tried different ones about 3/4 times (as that’s all they sell in the local homebrew shop) and each one stalled or got no where near its supposed finished gravity, never again for me.

Should be. Depends on OG, temperature and how the yeast has been stored.
All I can say is that OG, temperature, and storage are exactly the same as every other yeast that I've used which has given no problem.

Never a big success, and results have varied from 'drinkable' to flop. I know I've read other posters here swear by Liberty Bell, for example, but I've tried it twice without success. And the other day I brewed an IPA (Nicks90 recipe), and pitched M44. No sign of life after 36 hours, and I'm not prepared to wait longer than that. Re-pitched with US-05, and in no time there was a vigorous krausen. I'm now casting a baleful eye at the batch of oatmeal stout I brewed the other week, and wishing I hadn't used M42 in that (the fermentation seemed OK, if not exceptionally vigorous).

I don't think it's my methods; I have no issue with my go-to yeasts: S-04, US-05, and Verdant.
I never have any issue with Liberty Bell, which I stir in to the wort on pitching and then leave in a temperature controlled box at 18C for 14 days (I give all beers and all yeasts 14 days, I don’t use Kveik).

US-05 is better than M44 for hoppy beers and I’d use Nottingham for stout.

Last edited:
Back in my AG days I used Liberty Bell loads of times. Possibly more than any other yeast. It never failed me. I would probably try using it again with the kits I brew these days if my local shop still stocked it. Still, what works for some does not always work for others, and for reasons we sometimes never understand!

i dont like it either. i tried two (44 and 36) and didnt find them as clean as other yeasts so i gave up on them

I like MJ54, for Cali Commons and more recently a Steam Pilsener which turned out lovely.
Also used MJ84 for a genuine lager with German hops which also worked really well.
Never had a problem with attenuation using either 🤷‍♂️

Used lots of MJ in the past,no issues.
Same here. I prefer Lallemand for dry yeast (and I’ve had a couple of good experiences with WHC recently) but I’ve always been happy with MJ.

Came 3rd on my table at the LAB comp this year using M21.

Lots of things affect how a yeast will "take" and ferment. I can't get on with M42- others swear by it. M54, on the other hand, is one of my go to yeasts.

Strange. I generally use MJ Belgian Ale M41 and tripel M31. They always start rapidly and usually finish one or two points lower than target. I ferment at room temperature in a bog standard fermenting bucket. One thing I always do is rehydrate the yeast first. I just sprinkle the yeast into abput 100ml of boiled and cooled water in a small jug, cover and swirl gently after 15 mins. Then pitch after another 15 mins, rinsing the jug out with a little wort to get all the lovely yeast out. Sometimes fermentation starts in two hours, and always within 12.

I don't think you can judge a company's entire range of yeasts just by sampling a couple of them. Yeasts are strange things and, in my experience, they can react differently to different environments. I could never get on with M42, it made the beer stink! I persevered with many brews because I thought I had an infection. It turned out I didn't have an infection and the yeast needed more nutrient. Even so, the stink would usually subside after some weeks or months in the bottle, but I've not used M42 since and I now always add additional yeast nutrient. Not had a "stinky" since.
Apart from their rebranding and renaming of old yeasts some years ago, which I think was very dodgy, MJ seem to be a good company with good products.

Latest posts

Back