I've never had a successful brew with a MJ yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I understand. I wonder what M42 is in its original incarnation and M54, for that matter.
MJ54 is often listed as a sub for Wyeast 2112.
It's the best of similar options for steam beers and pseudo pilseners in my experience, far superior to Novalager (which is also unsuitable in some recipes due to its high attenuation).

MJ List M54 as Sacchromyces Cerevisiae. So not a lager. Lallemand Köln has similar attenuation and alcohol tolerance.

MJ54 is often listed as a sub for Wyeast 2112.
It's the best of similar options for steam beers and pseudo pilseners in my experience, far superior to Novalager (which is also unsuitable in some recipes due to its high attenuation).
That's interesting. Just looked at the spec for 2112. But as ones a liquid yeast and the other is dry, J must be repackaging something else.
I've got some Novalager, but I haven't yet got round to trying it. Thanks for the tip re attenuation.

For those with M15 "issues"....it is a well known "low attenuator"...mash at 67/68 and you will end up with a sweet beer....mash power at 64/65 and it will do a better job.

Latest posts

Back