What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Witbier from @The-Engineer-That-Brews

View attachment 100449

My shitty kitchen lighting makes it look darker than it is, but when held up to the light is light gold with appropriate level of haze. Appropriate level of head on the pour, which faded to a thin layer of fine bubbles.

On the nose is spice, some light notes of banana, a touch of juicy fruit bubblegum coming through on the back end.

Flavour is grainy firstmost, then spice (clove/pepper) and some citrus notes.

Mouthfeel is quite dry and a quick finish. Refreshing and the interplay between the spices and hops works well, but perhaps a tad too bitter for me (possibly hop selection or perhaps leaning towards sulphate?)

Overall a really decent beer and representative of the style. Personally would like a bit more carbonation.

For sure much better than the last one I made which turned out slightly sour and I overdid the coriander on.

I've got one of those in the fridge. Planning to have it tonight. It will be interesting to compare notes.

Just having a spot of lunch and fancied some cheese and port (preceded by a hot sausage roll from the bakery and will be followed by a cherry lattice cake from Waitrose). The lighter cheese is Colston Basset Stilton and the smaller more yellow cheese is Wensleydale Blue. The Stilton is particularly good. The port is Taylor’s LBV. I might have more of everything 🤔

IMG_6793.jpeg

View attachment 100475
A bottle of my Dark Mild, o think this has become a tad over carbonated and a little dryer than I would prefer (which let’s be honest are proably linked) still perfectly pleasant to drink.
You look like you’re going down with your ship in that picture. #SaveTheBeer!

I see you’ve added some caramunich, just a touch. I thought Italian pils went the other way and used adjuncts like corn to keep it light colour?
Cold IPA uses flaked rice or maize to lighten the body and make it more crisp.
Italian Pils is essentially somewhere between a Czech Pils and German but with a small dry hop. The small caramunich addition was taken from the original Tipopils recipe

https://share.brewfather.app/kQ2F54NduW3Gz4

While picking up my cherry lattice slice in Waitrose I spotted this beauty on offer for £2.30 so bought a couple (I might go back and clear the shelf tomorrow).

For a 500ml bottle of 8.5% strong flavoursome ale this is a bargain. It’s not unlike their vintage ale.

View attachment 100469
Fork eyest's sake that's a dangerously good buy!
I must get me down to Waitrose pronto!

Back