Toasting pale malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I only want a few grams, of a slightly darker malt.

Must be able to toast my own.

Had anyone done this? Is there a time/temp chart?

Yes, but if you want darker you will have to add a darker malt like chocolate or roast.
Toasted ale malt just adds to the complexity of the flavour. 500 gram for 15 minutes @177C on a baking tray.

There are some basic brewing radio episodes about home roasting. Sounds fairly simple. Chuck in the oven, shake regularly,, expect a fair bit of smoke

This is what you need. From Harrison, Old British Beers and How To Make Them, 2003, Durden Park Beer Circle.

Attachments

• IMG_20240714_133748.jpg
    IMG_20240714_133748.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240714_133802.jpg
    IMG_20240714_133802.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240714_133811.jpg
    IMG_20240714_133811.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
Fairly usefull guide at Roasting malt

I needed 110g of roast rye 500EBC. TMM was out of stock, so I substituted malted rye, toasted at 200°C for 60min, turning three times.
Resulting brew, Rongoteus god of rye (Nordic brewing) seemed to be fine, little different to batches using purchased roast rye.

Normal roast rye, is unmalted grain roasted. So some difference should be expected if roasting malted grain.

Last edited:
OK the gauntlet is down. I need to create 4kg of pale malt from local barley. 😱😱
Which I collected from a farming buddy.

Edited.

Last edited:
OK the gauntlet is down. I need to pale malt 4kg of local barley. 😱😱
Which I collected from a farmer.
What price (if at all) does the farmer get for a kilo of pale malt... Given it's about £2 in a homebrew shop. 🙈

About 20p / kg for raw barley (unmalted)
Thought it would be something like that. At 4kg are you going to try to malt it yourself, or just toast it and add to a larger brew as a speciality malt? 4kg is pretty much enough for a 23L batch

Good point.

When I started this thread I wanted a handful of a darker malt. (toasting)

Yesterday I collected a few barrels of fresh harvested barley from a farming buddy.

He asked me to make a crate of beer with it. So now I need to malt 4kg and then toast it (pale malt).

So I think I need info.. the necessary times and temps to malt and roast and toast.

https://www.instructables.com/Malting-Barley-for-Homebrewing/

This is the best I have found so far.

Last edited:
Yeeees 😁

Trying to find a copy of the "British Beers and How To Make Them" from above.
I wonder if they've given up reprinting it? Their web site lets you download it now, but I'm not sure if the old versions had the "make your own" brown and amber? It's not "real" brown and amber, but back in the 1970s you'd be luck to find pale malt! I understand roasting your own makes very fine aromas and flavours (@Cwrw666 is a fan I believe).

https://durdenparkbeer.org.uk/index.php/product-category/download_booklet/

[EDIT: The 1993 reprint costs more ... all of £4.40! So, I guess it's more "complete" than the 1976 original?]

Last edited:
Good point.

When I started this thread I wanted a handful of a darker malt. (toasting)

Yesterday I collected a few barrels of fresh harvested barley from a farming buddy.

He asked me to make a crate of beer with it. So now I need to malt 4kg and then toast it (pale malt).

So I think I need info.. the necessary times and temps to malt and roast and toast.

https://www.instructables.com/Malting-Barley-for-Homebrewing/

This is the best I have found so far.
You could try and find something about brewing with green barley, a lot of work has been done on using raw barley due to the cost involved with malting.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jib.319

Last edited:
Back