The Official Fishing Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo

Reaction score
Well seen as there has been the odd mention of "wetting a float" or "drowning a maggot" I thought I's start this thread so people can post stories and pics of trips they have had out. So bring out the stories and Tight Lines for 2009

i'll start,

DSC-1.jpg

This was caught early summer last year, I was out with my brother and having a rather successful day catching a variety of species from roach at 2oz to carp at about 7 -8 lb, then as I was fillinf my pole cup up to re feed my baited hook fell into the water at my feet with an instant reaction. After a 20min fight with a steam train this 10lb 1oz mirror carp was in the net. All in all a loveley days fishing.

nice catch!

i used to do alot of fishing in my teens. haven't had chance since but still have all the equipment.

i found though that whenever i took a camera i never caught anything!

my biggest was an 8lb Pike in the lakes at Cosgrove Caravan Park where my mum used to have her static sited. i was using live bait because never caught anything with dead bait or spinners (i swear the fish were smart there lol). it fought for best part of two mins then let me reel it in which i thought was lame... still i was more than impressed with my catch, and so was every passer by :thumb:

Nice fish :cool: I've been wanting to start fishing again for a while, I gave my gear away a few years back and wish I hadn't now :(

Fly fisherman here I catch wild (Yorkshire) river brownies on home tied flies, it's hard work some days but it's really just an excuse to be there I find. My fishing Motto is "if it doesn't fit in my pockets then it's not worth taking". Plain and simple just like most of my brews :party:

My favourite fishing experience is going out just off the north coast of Cuba off cayo Guillermo, we got 6 Barracuda in 3 hours - will never forget the tail walking those fish did - very exciting day :thumb:

Wez said:
My favourite fishing experience is going out just off the north coast of Cuba off cayo Guillermo, we got 6 Barracuda in 3 hours - will never forget the tail walking those fish did - very exciting day :thumb:

I'm off to Mauritius at the end of March for my birthday I'm planning on going game fishing.

It's a 14 hour flight and for someone who's never been on a plane I have to say that the fishing better be effing amazing :lol:

I love fishing, always have. I've had to learn a different type of fishing over here though. My big love was dry fly for brown trout. Further south from where i live is possibly the best brown trout fishing anywhere-except tasmania, arguably. But up here in Northland it's coastal or Big Game fishing. My kit is now 8kg-24kg set-ups. Big baits-often live. Some of the live baits are in the 3-4lb mark. The Marlin lures are NZ$100 a go and up to 18" long. Smallest bait i've used is half a pilchard. Normal size is a whole pilchard freelined into a rocky, kelpy area in 6m of water for Snapper on a 8-10kg set up with a Shimano Baitrunner... Great fun and our normal fishing style over the winter. We catch Snapper, Kahawai, Porae, Stingrays, Trevally and other stuff. Recently we've had a go with the softbaits and new years eve i had a few hours out with my mate and i managed to get these two beauty's...
3191052214_17de6c712d.jpg

The one on the left was a 10lb Snapper and the one on the right was a 13lb Yellow Tail Kingfish. I say 'was' as the kingfish was sashimi for new years eve and the Snapper pan-fried the following day. :D It was a nice few hours on the boat drifting over a reef in Ngunguru Bay. The Snapper took a softbait Jigged just off the bottom. A hard strike at the softbait and straight away he ripped off 30m of braid. The light softbait rod was bent in half and the fight is like a cross between a large Carp and a large Perch. After 15 mins he was beat and on the boat. The Kingy took a live 2lb Kahawai freelined and drifted over the reef. But on 50lb tackle. So it wasn't a fair fight for the Kingy but it put on a show none the less, stripping line off at first before a dogged fight to bring him to the surface. My first ever double figure Kingy. :party: These grow to a massive size so big equipment is needed. So just a little'un really, but mighty fine to eat. :D -The legal size for these is 750mm, mine was 800mm which gives you an idea of how big they get. :shock:

good to see a few anglers on here :thumb:
im well into my carping absolutely love it and im lucky enough to get to mix my hobby with work, cant beat a week on the bank chilling

i miss fishing :(

i've still got all my freshwater gear in the attic.. unused for nearly a decade now :cry:

tried sea fishing when i was in Torbay a few years back... didn't catch a sole... boom boom! (i'll get my coat) :lol:

you should get out for a sesh, they say once a angler always a angler
ive been sea fishing a few times but i prefer carp fishing i think the average size of fish is alot bigger in general
heres one from my last session in spain

[attachment removed - to replace image please upload it to an image host and link]

toasted said:
good to see a few anglers on here :thumb:
im well into my carping absolutely love it and im lucky enough to get to mix my hobby with work, cant beat a week on the bank chilling

T - do you work on the Waterways? Canals?

no ive got a bait company, been doing it for about 3+ years now
still working hard at it for not alot of money but the hours are good when its quiet :lol:

Fair play good luck with that :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I have a mate who works on Canal maintenance him and his mates swore they wouldn't change out of their summer gear all through the winter - 1st one to crack has bad things done to them -- fair play they have all gone through and worked the winter in tee-shirt and shorts :lol:

lol nutters, stuff that , sounds like my old flatmate hes a posty so always wore shorts
i wrap up warm when out in winter and have a double gas stove to use as a heater if needed
but sounds like a nice job to have id enjoy something like that

He loves it :cool: He's sold his house and got a lovely new built to spec narrowboat for £72k he spends his days either walking towpaths noting work to be done or carrying out the work (hedge trimming - path building etc etc)

Latest posts

Back