The Official Fishing Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been Carp fishing for years, I now have the pleasure of watching my own grow into things of beauty!!
carp6.jpg

Common Carp X2

carp4.jpg

Crucian Carp X2

carp3.jpg

Mirror Carp X2

Plus I have 9 Rudd, 2 Tench and Several Koi.

Sorry about sizes Fighting with photobucket and losing will save samller next time then up load!

lol yea you will get bigger sea fish :D
but in most cases most seem to be well under 20lbs
ive been boat fishing a few times and biggest ive seen out in around low double figures and friends of mine are keen sea anglers and mostly catch fish to low doubles although they have had the odd conger
shore caught fish tend to be a couple of pound in most cases
cracking marlin though id be over the moon with something that size but over here were pretty limited and i know a few sea anglers that are amazed at the average size of carp compaired to the size of sea fish they were used to catching
its like i dont even weigh or take a picture of anything under 20lbs
although it is a bonus you can eat what you catch from the sea

When i lived in Orkney I was a big sea angler, although i didnt ever catch much! To me it was all about time out of the house to relax. Anyone who knows Orkney will know how beautiful it is with or without catching fish. However I did used to catch plenty of Mackeral and often would nip down the pier after work, catch a couple and take them home for dinner. Sea to plate in under 15 mins - cant get fresher. I also used to spear fish on sandy beaches catching some lovely Dabs.
I did a bit of loch fishing too - again not catching much but enjoying it never-the-less.

Since moving here to Worcester I miss fishing dearly - I dont have any kit for river/course fishing, and actually resent deeply having to pay to fish which you dont have to do in Orkney.

I'm planning a trip to Orkney in the summer just to fish!

toasted said:
lol yea you will get bigger sea fish :D
but in most cases most seem to be well under 20lbs
ive been boat fishing a few times and biggest ive seen out in around low double figures and friends of mine are keen sea anglers and mostly catch fish to low doubles although they have had the odd conger
shore caught fish tend to be a couple of pound in most cases
cracking marlin though id be over the moon with something that size but over here were pretty limited and i know a few sea anglers that are amazed at the average size of carp compaired to the size of sea fish they were used to catching
its like i dont even weigh or take a picture of anything under 20lbs
although it is a bonus you can eat what you catch from the sea

That's because commercial fishing has decimated the fish stocks around the UK, France and Spain. I used to boat fish wrecks for big Cod, Pollack, Ling and Conger around twenty years ago and we'd have called it a **** day if some monster wasn't hauled aboard. Always going home with a good feed. And twenty years ago when i used to fish for Carp only a handfull over 30lb were caught every season. I can remember Julian Cundiff(Is he still about?) becoming the first Angler to catch 20 x 20lbplus Carp in one season. Now it seems anyone can sling out a boilie and catch a thirty pound Carp. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, it's meant to show how Carp are the predominant species nowadays. Carp aren't commercially fished for food. They are stocked in Lakes with good management and fished for by Anglers who care deeply about their welfare and health. Which is great IMO.

I wrote him a few letters as a keen teenage angler and he replied to all of them :thumb: I got to meet him once and thought he was great. Glad he's still on the scene. :D

Vossy1 said:
I fished this place in 2004 and caught a fish at 49lb 14oz.
The fish beached itself on a silt bed at 20 yards and I had to go in to free it. When I returned home I sent my scales of to be serviced by RH, to be told they were 'stuck' at 50lb :x
I later found out the fish was a female and I caught her pre spawning. We were fishing the last peg in the lake where the fish pass to spawn. She had been caught the week before at 54lb (new lake record) :x ...oh well...thems the breaks.
To top it off, I managed to throw away my camera film in a box of bathroom tiles destined for the skip, so I don't even have a photo of her :(

This is a 42lb mirror carp from 2002 and a common carp of 38lb 4oz (don't I look happy :lol: )

Scan0001.jpg
Scan0002.jpg

This ranks as one of/possibly my favourite catpures at just under 29lbs, a beast of a fish, over a meter in length. I caught it on a glorious summers day when there was a lot of algae in the water, then up came this bar of orange. It took the bait before I could set the swingers on my alarms :cool:

Scan0003-1.jpg

Vossy Im sorry mate its only 4 years since you caught the carp but by the looks of your avatar the drink is taking its toll..... :lol:

Boys all this talk of fishing is making me hanker after trying to concuss fishies by throwing weights attached to lines at them Oh and maybe attach the odd lure or two.
Im off down to Lyme Regis on the old Jurassic coast for a week from Sunday and I was thinking of investing in some beach casting kit. What should I be fishing for at this time of the year. Someone in the pup suggested that the mackerel will be running. Help and guidance would be gratefully accepted

I love Mackerel fillets :D just lob them on the bbq with a bit of lemon juice Mmmm

Frisp said:
What should I be fishing for at this time of the year. Someone in the pup suggested that the mackerel will be running.

A little early for Mackeral i'd say.

Not at all, i'd say quarter to eight is spot on for a fish supper :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I've caught a couple of episodes and thought they were good. :thumb:

I know what you mean, it's like that gave him 5 litres of Red Bull and pointed the camera at him :lol:

Latest posts

Back