Stout hasn't reached final gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes keg prime and enjoy then! And stop worrying about the numbers.

Then you can decide if you like it - it’s a bit of a kitchen sink recipe, more like porter than stout to my eyes.
Will do and thanks everyone for all the help.

I'm not really a stout drinker, I made this for my two sons who are. I tasted it when it had got down to 1.018 and was cross checking the SG. At that stage it had a distinct chocolate flavour and nice bitterness. Probably a tad sweet to my taste. Hence the desire to get the FG down a bit more.

It was a first foray into stout/porter. Will look around for other recipes when this is finished. But I'd say that could be a while since I've made a keg and a half of it. :beer1:

Will do and thanks everyone for all the help.

I'm not really a stout drinker, I made this for my two sons who are. I tasted it when it had got down to 1.018 and was cross checking the SG. At that stage it had a distinct chocolate flavour and nice bitterness. Probably a tad sweet to my taste. Hence the desire to get the FG down a bit more.

It was a first foray into stout/porter. Will look around for other recipes when this is finished. But I'd say that could be a while since I've made a keg and a half of it. :beer1:
Look on this forum or any other forum for that matter there are plenty of threads about a stuck stout ferment. Some brewers fail to grasp that there are a lot of unfermentable sugars in a stout, while they contribute to an OG reading, when it comes to the FG the non-fermentable sugar's presence gives the impression that the fermentation has stalled.
I would suggest 'if' you brew another try a hochkurz mash schedule which will extract more fermentable sugar and either steep, hot or cold the none fermentable or just put them in for a 20-minute mash out.

The dark portion of this recipe is only c12% of the grist, and most of that is fermentable, although the sugars from those grains are more complex than they would be from pale malt. In my experience most recipe calculators predict this difference very well. Without those dark grains the predicted FG would likely have been around 1.009. And that is where the issue is here, the predicted FG wasn't reached. Its a fermenting issue, not a mashing one. Yeast consume sugars in order of complexity, monosaccharides first, dextrins last. The yeast didn't reach the end of fermentation in the best shape to process those sugars. If you habitually start mashing for high fermentability and then have a good fermentation, you'll end up with dry stouts.

I mean, it could be a mashing issue if more unfermentables were extracted than intended.
I'm leaning towards this. It could still be related to under pitching the yeast, but generally doesn't this manifest as slow initial fermentation activity, which wasn't the case here?

The unexplained rise in SG a couple of days after adding the AA also has me scratching my head.

Mash temp was 66° which I pretty much nailed for the hour.

If your process matched that of what the recipe calculator, I'm inclined to think not.

My understanding is, that when yeast creates a daughter cell, it splits the vacuole between each sell. The vacuole is where necessary amino acids and phospates are stored. So, with a low pitch rate you end up with yeast that requires more splits, you end up with yeast doesn't have enough of what it needs to complete fermentation.

Look on this forum or any other forum for that matter there are plenty of threads about a stuck stout ferment.

@Brew_DD2 It was also a reply to this observation. Where anecdotally many of the posts are kit brews, where the mashing was done commercially, and consistently. With kits working for some and not for others.

Last edited:
If the recipe calculator estimated fermentability based on 66°C and you matched that exactly in practice, you should see the same fermentability.
It was a kit. No recipe calculator. Or at least not that I was given. There wasn't even a notional efficiency rate. I probably could have put it through a calculator, might still do, but I wasn't arsed at the time.

Back