Youngs Merlot kit - 6 bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laner

Reaction score
I put a kit on to brew and forgot to take the OG after addding the 900g of sugar, so not sure what it should have been or what ABV is but it taste like water..

it took a while to ferment down to .990, with no activity for 3 days I decided to degas and add the finings as per instructions. 48hrs later I’ve racked into a clean DJ and it looks crystal clear, but how long should I leave before bottling, and how long to hopefully develope some actual wine flavour?

Too late to worry about OG.
How long did the instructions say before drinking?
Personally I would double that as the absolute minimum.

Hopefully it tasted of wine when you siphoned it into bottles.

As it's only a 6 bottle kit, you have less of them available to sample at monthly intervals to find out the optimum maturation time.

Too late to worry about OG.
How long did the instructions say before drinking?
Personally I would double that as the absolute minimum.

Hopefully it tasted of wine when you siphoned it into bottles.

As it's only a 6 bottle kit, you have less of them available to sample at monthly intervals to find out the optimum maturation time.

Not bottled yet, that was one of my questions. I would say very little wine taste at this point and the kit says drinkable straight after but best left 3 months

Well depending on how it goes, I rarely got 6 full bottles from a kit.

I end up with 5.75 bottles time you leave the sediment behind.
With the part bottle going direct to the fridge for sampling.
These days I do 30 bottle wine kits and expect to get around 28 full bottles out.

You can of course mess about sharing equally between your bottles & top each up with a little water, but it's a bit of a faff.

Latest posts

Back