No Chill Cubes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For reference I have tried running my immersion chiller from a water butt and pump instead of the mains hose, but the pump just did not provide enough pressure for the job.
Maybe get a larger pump? I used to do this in a previous house where I had a shed I used to brew in.

It wasn't a fancy pump. Just a water butt fountain pump that could produce a fountain about 40cm high.

The flow rate doesn't need to be mains pressure - just as long as can do a couple of litres a minute is good enough. If it's still struggling, lower the exit pipe down so that the pump has to fight gravity less. If you put the exit pipe into the water butt, you effectively have no head pressure at all so it's just about the flow rate

I do miss those old days of brewing in winter when the water butt has 250L of water at about 2°c. Chilled the brew really well!

It wasn't a fancy pump. Just a water butt fountain pump that could produce a fountain about 40cm high.

👍👍 All pumps are not equal, different designs and different setups do really different things.

Pressure = height generally
Flow = ammount

Pumps seam to feature a lot in my life, not just for beer.

Sorry all been helping a friend move, been a hectic few days
I am not having a go, I was genuinely wondering how the OP had managed.
To answer your question gav ⬇️
Run it on a bucket of ice and a pond pump.
Like this
But with the amount of water that an immersion chiller uses you would need a lot of bucket refills! After saving the first couple for cleaning you couldn't really reuse the water because it would be warm after going through the chiller so you would need to constantly get rid of them and without running water I wouldn't expect a sink to pour them into.
Yeah... lol pretty much this too
It was messy and incredibly inconvenient. Had two buckets set up and two jerry cans of fresh water for the space I have, wildly inefficient to try to bounce between the two and then dispose of water that was too hit to use.
i had to run up and down the flights of stairs several times with these to dump and stick the shower hose in to refill with cold water and then bound back up stairs with them.

It was exhausting and became way more of a chore than a bit of fun for the night after work

It's why I started this thread lol
To get opinions on others experiences with no chill.

1729242079726.jpeg

Don't actually need those "complicated" tee-pieces on the fillers: The "Y" splitter like on the "Hop Missile" (a Chinese rip-off of the Blichmann Hop Rocket) with two filler tubes does the same job - i.e. fill two or more cubes without interuption (I brew 45/65L batches). The air vents (blue pipes here) are needed because the cubes are filled while sealed. Needs a pump on the boiler (if it's an impeller pump the cubes simply stop filling when full ... they can't overflow).

The "Hop Missile" replaces the purpose of "whirlpool" and "steep" hops (which you can't use with no-chill cubes 'cos the cubes must be filled straight after the boil).
I may send you a pm about this setup lol

You cooled to 40° and were probably very hands on by the sound of it. If you just let it cool naturally to around 50° and clean up while waiting, all you'd be left to clean would be the kettle. Might be an efficient way of doing it.
Messy and inefficient, way more hands on than I would have liked to have been lol
see below though to further my answer to this however this is definitely going to be added to my arsenal.of things to do so thank you

Only use HDPE cubes if you really want to cube the wort. But I agree with what a couple of others have said: leave it in the kettle until the next day. The kettle is sanitised, so there are no worries there.
I have a cube ordered as I like the longer term storage idea of it and allows me to clean the kettle the same night/day as the brew

Half filled cornies are next.
Was thinking about trying a corner as a Shank Tank style co2 generator like on brulosophy for transfer etc lol
co2 is pricey
Also going to add my entire water volumes for strike and sparge into my kettle.
bring it up to above my strike temp and pump my sparge volume into a Corney for use later in the brew. The rest will be left to cool to strike temp (or just to use if both at same temp lol)

Is this discussion about "no-chill" started to get decidedly "warm"? Or is it just me?
Started to think this myself lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back