Octopus energy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also agile is not compatible with some of their feed in tariffs if you have solar.

I've just switched from economy7 to cozy octopus, as even with 10kwh battery, low light levels in the winter & HVAC heat pump running can use it all up by 4pm.
Cozy let's you top up in the afternoon as well.
Its not as cheap as agile, but then with agile you would be constantly changing your charging pattern. And it is compatible with their fixed solar feed in tariff.

Also agile is not compatible with some of their feed in tariffs if you have solar.

I've just switched from economy7 to cozy octopus, as even with 10kwh battery, low light levels in the winter & HVAC heat pump running can use it all up by 4pm.
Cozy let's you top up in the afternoon as well.
Its not as cheap as agile, but then with agile you would be constantly changing your charging pattern. And it is compatible with their fixed solar feed in tariff.
"Feed in tariff" is the old (no longer subscribable) tariff were you got paid for what you generate, not necessarily what your export.

I'm not on those as we only got solar this year. But agile is compatible with the 15p/kWh fixed export tariff (what we're on. We switch to intelligent flux in the summer when we net export)

Tomorrow is an abnormal day, but it's essentially free for many hours.
View attachment 105017
You can use https://agile.octopushome.net/dashboard
To make up your own mind based on how much it fluctuates
What rate do you sell? Because, based on your link, it looks like I will be selling for around 7-9 pence kWh on Agile , while I sell for 13.13 p/kWh on Flux at the moment before 16:00 and 26.21 p/kWh between 16:00 and 19:00
I wonder if it worth doing it for the winter period when my solar power generation falls by up to 10 times (December vs June)

It is going to be free for me anyway because this is the time when I generate solar power post...
Same here, but I can fill the battery for extra freeness. And put the washer/dryer/oven/fan heater on

What rate do you sell? Because, based on your link, it looks like I will be selling for around 7-9 pence kWh, while I sell for 13.13 p/kWh on Flux at the moment before 16:00 and 26.21 p/kWh between 16:00 and 19:00
I wonder if it worth doing it for the winter period when my solar power generation falls by up to 10 times (December vs June)
Just replied, but we export at 15p/kWh now. Over the winter we're a net importer, so go for the cheap import rate. We are exporting not a lot in October, and very little between 4-7pm given we need the battery capacity to cover the rest of the day.

In the summer when we're a net exporter, we're on IOF which exports at 22 or 29p /kWh (just gone up actually, these were the figures before the price change).

I'm still learning, but about the time you such from net import to net export is when you should change tariff. There are a few good YouTube vids about it

Guess I will call Octopus on Monday to understand this better - if I can fix my export, but import on Agile, then I am winning

My peak is 28 cents about 14p, off-peak is 19 cents about 9p, FIT is 66 cents about 33p, all per kilowatt hour service to property 75 cents/ day about 37p. Maybe charges in UK are high because of the French connection.
Though I don't know why your price of petrol is so high.

Yeah, I can see that I cannot combine with Flux… will still call Octopus to get their estimates. Is there a standing charge on Agile or it gets the standing charge from another tariff?
Funny (though not funny) that price comparison websites do not list my tariff and then it looks like there are quite a few cheaper suppliers vs Octopus. However, I almost never consume from the grid during the day once I changed by Tesla Powerwall settings that I do not supply the grid from the battery, so the battery charges up either from solar or during cheapest off-peak time

Is there a standing charge on Agile or it gets the standing charge from another tariff?
All import tariffs have the same standing charge (I think).
There are no standing charges for any of the export tariff

Does anyone know how much electricity can Tesla 3 discharge per hour? Just toying with some calculations - my Powerwall can discharge from 100% to the grid within 3 hours (during peak time), wonder if adding Tesla 3 will allow discharging more. I read that the battery is the limiting parameter. However, since you can drive Tesla circa 300 miles, and it’s capacity is circa 50 kWh, while PowerWall 2 is 13.5, Tesla 3 is about 4 times larger. And since Tesla 3 can be bought for £13k (if you are lucky), while Powerwall costs £9-10k, it might be better deal buying a car to use as a battery 😀
I am looking at my solar generation during the summer - my peak generation is 8 kWh, and I see from supplying to the grid, I do not exceed 8 kWh, maximum is near to 7kWh, so, I can feed 21 kWh maximum during peak price time, selling to the grid doesn’t really worth it as it is only about £2 a day profit, so best £700 a year…
IMG_0583.png

Last edited:
Its all a bit academic.
When you had your panels installed, the DNO should have signed off on your maximum allowed export rate.
You are not supposed to go above that unless you get them (DNO) round again to check you can export more to the local grid without frying the wires.

I don't know what the standard domestic supply can take. It usually depends on the diameter of the wires going into your house, but the local grid will not necessarily be designed for every house in your street to be pulling the full load at the same time.
For example the 1969/70 estate I am on may have been built on the cheap, but all the houses originally had economy 7 electric storage heaters, so the main supply is designed to take a high domestic load.
But in other locations were the cooking & heating are gas, the grid connections may not be as robust.

Its all a bit academic.
When you had your panels installed, the DNO should have signed off on your maximum allowed export rate.
You are not supposed to go above that unless you get them (DNO) round again to check you can export more to the local grid without frying the wires.

I don't know what the standard domestic supply can take. It usually depends on the diameter of the wires going into your house, but the local grid will not necessarily be designed for every house in your street to be pulling the full load at the same time.
For example the 1969/70 estate I am on may have been built on the cheap, but all the houses originally had economy 7 electric storage heaters, so the main supply is designed to take a high domestic load.
But in other locations were the cooking & heating are gas, the grid connections may not be as robust.
When we had our DNO done, we're restricted to 3.35kW export.
I don't quite understand how us exporting more than that will fry the local wiring, given that we can comfortable import 3 times that amount, and it's not like electricity cables work differently one way around than another. And that's just our one house, we have close neighbours, so presumably the local street cables can handle a LOT more than 3.35kW 🤷‍♂️ . But at the end of the day, that's all we can export so that's what we're stuck with

When we had our DNO done, we're restricted to 3.35kW export.
I don't quite understand how us exporting more than that will fry the local wiring, given that we can comfortable import 3 times that amount, and it's not like electricity cables work differently one way around than another. And that's just our one house, we have close neighbours, so presumably the local street cables can handle a LOT more than 3.35kW 🤷‍♂️ . But at the end of the day, that's all we can export so that's what we're stuck with
Well, I put as many panels as I could on my roof. Then I told my neighbours and they decided to go with the same solar panel installers because they have excellent reputation for DNO not being rejected. My DNO was accepted and theirs rejected... Now they blame me for generating electricity for the whole estate :)

Latest posts

Back