Kveik yeast - high fermentation temperatures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think the problem with kveik voss and hefeweizen is the strain of kveik used, or the high temperature of the fermentation? Do you think that Voss would be OK if I fermented at a lower temperature?
Hi. I have a Voss Kveik beer in the FV that I’ve just started to cold crash. Mark K’s Brewdays
Forget my last post. I have just realised that it is Lalbrew Kveik Ale Yeast that I have! Sorry! Do you think this will work with the hefeweizen? And if so, will it hold sufficient heat if fermented at the high temperature to keep the temperature high with the assistance of my Ferminator?

Do you think the problem with kveik voss and hefeweizen is the strain of kveik used, or the high temperature of the fermentation?
I honestly don't know but I'd say yes to the strain destroying the grain qualities but no idea how much it changes with temperature. I was chatting with Genus Brewing and they said it's to be expected of voss but I'd said it was 35c.

I've done a 9 way experiment of non-kveik yeasts at 35c and they've stayed as 'beers', though with varying goods and bads and the hop flavour subtlety lost seems to be because it gets due to temperature.

I'm deffo going to try other kveiks and seeing how crazy you can go. More the merrier.

That therminator looks like it would work fine. I'm using a small chest freezer with a camping mat around the sides and a plastic bag above all heated by a 100 watt bulb.

Latest posts

Back